The reaction from foreign countries..

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003

You don't think that it benefits the USA to have a leader liked by the world? I do, however, agree that Obama will be unable to deliver all his promises.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I think that the Europeans expect Obama to bow down to them, especially with the upcoming financial talks. Obama needs to be strong in face of European efforts to hurt the US.

Many African nations and Asian nations had mild-warm relationships with the Bush administration. Africa received a lot of aid attention with Bush (one of his few positive developments) and I think that they believe that it may increase even more so with Obama. Plus, it's an uplifting story to see a black man become president. It's not like something like that is going to be happening in Europe, Australia, etc. any time soon. The only "Western" country I can think of that happening is Canada, but the demographics are perhaps a little too snow-white.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Miss the parts of his speech where he talked about the possibility of not meeting all of our goals in just one term? The "fail to deliver" argument is weak - even Obama is cautious about his ability to deliver, and he's been upfront about the difficulties.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Obama won't be able to deliver on all his promises. Where Bush was unable to deliver on ANY of his. Didn't Bush say he would stop at nothing to find Bin Laden? Hell if Obama can deliver on a single promise he's already ahead of Bush :)

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
What does it say about America good or bad that we dont give a flying fuck about when other countries elect different leaders?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
What does it say about America good or bad that we dont give a flying fuck about when other countries elect different leaders?

A lasting vestige, byproduct of being the only superpower left? Not to lessen the impacts made around the world by countries like China, India, etc - but no other country holds the kind of spherical influence as the United States of America. The leader we elect undoubtedly has great effects around the world (one only needs to looks at Bush's tenure as evidence), but there is rarely an outsider which has the same impact IN the US.

I do remember divisive elections in Mexico w/ Vicente Fox. I remember the Tony Blair resignation. Some do care about the political leadership outside of the US, and even my fragmented memory can prove, at the very least, that some give more than a flying fuck :)

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ryan

A lasting vestige, byproduct of being the only superpower left? Not to lessen the impacts made around the world by countries like China, India, etc - but no other country holds the kind of spherical influence as the United States of America. The leader we elect undoubtedly has great effects around the world (one only needs to looks at Bush's tenure as evidence), but there is rarely an outsider which has the same impact IN the US.

I do remember elections in Mexico w/ Vicente Fox, the UK, with Tony Blair's resignation. Some do care, and even my fragmented memory can prove, at least, that some give more than a flying fuck :)

The UK didn't have elections when Blair resigned. The Queen approved Brown and he did not call for elections due to his party polling behind in surveys.

I think that most Americans would be disgusted by the campaigns done in Europe and horrified by the political positions of the candidates.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

I do remember elections in Mexico w/ Vicente Fox, the UK, with Tony Blair's resignation. Some do care, and even my fragmented memory can prove, at least, that some give more than a flying fuck :)

The UK didn't have elections when Blair resigned. The Queen approved Brown and he did not call for elections due to his party polling behind in surveys.

I think that most Americans would be disgusted by the campaigns done in Europe and horrified by the political positions of the candidates.

Ah, I did not know - I mentioned Blair because he is one of the few politicians outside the US most American's would be familiar with. I may not know all the circumstances, but it's still a recognition of political change outside of the US.

Jul 7, 2008
the entire world has given obama a free pass. there could be evidence proving obama was the son of a satan - beyond a reasonable doubt, hell...beyond any doubt - and people still wouldn't believe it. right or wrong, you'd be a fool to deny the zealotry that is going on in america and around the world.

i hear in kenya they're creating a national obama day. lolz.

Jul 7, 2008
Originally posted by: QueBert
Obama won't be able to deliver on all his promises. Where Bush was unable to deliver on ANY of his. Didn't Bush say he would stop at nothing to find Bin Laden? Hell if Obama can deliver on a single promise he's already ahead of Bush :)

why must everyone bring bush into the discussion? we're talking about obama and his lack of anything - not bush and his incompetence. i know you think having a poor president is a good enough reason to worship obama, but it isn't.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: counterstrikedude

why must everyone bring bush into the discussion? we're talking about obama and his lack of anything - not bush and his incompetence. i know you think having a poor president is a good enough reason to worship obama, but it isn't.

Bush has a Record of Suck. Obama has much Promise.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008

In the UK you vote for the party not the individual who was elected by the party to represent it. The leader does have a difference because they have to get the party message accross effectvively but if there is a change in leadership it is not a reason to call for a new election unless it is the end of that parties term.

If something happens to the President the VP takes over until the end of that term(although I do not know how it works if they resign mid term).

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Bush said point blank that the US military will not be used for nation building.. hmmm :(

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

who did you vote for in 2000 and 2004

jeffw2767602

Banned
Aug 22, 2007
Hmm Bush? lol we all just need to ignore this guy. I haven't seen a single post with an ounce of substance. He just keeps calling Obama satan lol. It sounds like somebody is a very sore loser.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
the entire world has given obama a free pass. there could be evidence proving obama was the son of a satan - beyond a reasonable doubt, hell...beyond any doubt - and people still wouldn't believe it. right or wrong, you'd be a fool to deny the zealotry that is going on in america and around the world.

Let's see. BO went from being an obscure first term senator to become the President of the United States. In the process, he had to create name recognition where there was none, ground down the much vaunted Clinton political name in the grueling primaries and then vanquished the Republican electoral machine that pulled victories out of thin air in the two previous elections for Bush. And he did all of this while overcoming a problem that dragged the U.S. into civil war, viz. the color of his skin. You must be kidding if you call that being given a free pass.

As for the international adulation, a lot of it is for the ability of the U.S. to re-invent itself, especially when it is plumbing it's darkest depths. A majority white electorate electing a black man cannot be more out of the political box thinking than that. This is causing more shock-and-awe in international circles than all the military wizardry used to overwhelm Saddam Hussein's military.

His election may even cause a lot of soul-searching in countries like Kenya, the Sudan, Congo etc. where ethnic rivalries either threaten to tear or have already torn those countries apart. If the son of one of their own can become President of the most powerful country nearly half a world away, then why can't they rise beyond their own narrow tribal loyalties?

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: tvarad

His election may even cause a lot of soul-searching in countries like Kenya, the Sudan, Congo etc. where ethnic rivalries either threaten to tear or have already torn those countries apart. If the son of one of their own can become President of the most powerful country nearly half a world away, then why can't they rise beyond their own narrow tribal loyalties?

HAHAHAHahahahaha...wow.

Jul 7, 2008
Originally posted by: dahunan

who did you vote for in 2000 and 2004

2000 - Gore

2004 - Kerry

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003

Conversely, it's apparent that Obama will be attacked regardless of his administration's outcome.

"son of a satan - beyond a reasonable doubt . . . " :confused:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Let's see. BO went from being an obscure first term senator to become the President of the United States. In the process, he had to create name recognition where there was none, ground down the much vaunted Clinton political name in the grueling primaries and then vanquished the Republican electoral machine that pulled victories out of thin air in the two previous elections for Bush. And he did all of this while overcoming a problem that dragged the U.S. into civil war, viz. the color of his skin. You must be kidding if you call that being given a free pass.

As for the international adulation, a lot of it is for the ability of the U.S. to re-invent itself, especially when it is plumbing it's darkest depths. A majority white electorate electing a black man cannot be more out of the political box thinking than that. This is causing more shock-and-awe in international circles than all the military wizardry used to overwhelm Saddam Hussein's military.

lol, you've never been to a 3rd world country have you? You think greed is bad here.

Btw, he hasn't risen to President yet. January 20th is his big day. I agree that OP is kinda out there though.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

What are you talking about? Obama has barely been President-elect for one day and already you're passing judgement on his entire administration. I'm fine with being skeptical, or having a wait-and-see attitude...but this is just ridiculous.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill

lol, you've never been to a 3rd world country have you? You think greed is bad here.

Btw, he hasn't risen to President yet. January 20th is his big day. I agree that OP is kinda out there though.

Au contrare, I am now living in a third world country so I know a little bit about institutional greed based on cronyism. I am an eternal optimist so maybe I overdid it with my last paragraph but the fundamental premise of my argument that the U.S. is now looked up to stands.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I think that the Europeans expect Obama to bow down to them, especially with the upcoming financial talks. Obama needs to be strong in face of European efforts to hurt the US.

Many African nations and Asian nations had mild-warm relationships with the Bush administration. Africa received a lot of aid attention with Bush (one of his few positive developments) and I think that they believe that it may increase even more so with Obama. Plus, it's an uplifting story to see a black man become president. It's not like something like that is going to be happening in Europe, Australia, etc. any time soon. The only "Western" country I can think of that happening is Canada, but the demographics are perhaps a little too snow-white.

Well it probably won't be a black person to be PM in Canada for just the reason you said. There just aren't very many black people here. If there was a good candidate for PM who was black, I don't think Canada would hesitate to elect him if his policies were attractive.

I think we'll elect a woman before an ethnic minority.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: silverpig

Well it probably won't be a black person to be PM in Canada for just the reason you said. There just aren't very many black people here. If there was a good candidate for PM who was black, I don't think Canada would hesitate to elect him if his policies were attractive.

I think we'll elect a woman before an ethnic minority.

Indian or Far-East Asian won't be long to PM.