The rape of America.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Yea I saw that. No new real info for me. I kept up with some of the info and saw the majority of oil futures went to people that never took delivery of it. All the demand we kept hearing about was never really there. In fact after prices went up a little demand started to drop. and so on...

The problem is as soon as more money gets back into the market oil will jump again. That and the middle east is cutting back a little as well. So unless soemthing is done then gas can get higher then it was before. I am kinda glad Obama and Dems have more power now and hopefully they have not been paid off like the republicans were for oil/broker houses.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
oh, from the "rape of america" I thought you were talking about the bailout plan

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: taltamir
oh, from the "rape of america" I thought you were talking about the bailout plan

That just adds insult to injury...taking it from an "unnegotiated piece" to a gang rape...after all, once you've got the bitch knocked down and stuffing it in her ass, why not let everyone else have a turn?

The corporate rape of America continues.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005

Same here.

Though the exact same thing happened to the housing industry and everyone cheered that one.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: SSSnail
60 Minutes segment on oil and speculations.

I just can't imagine the day we'll have governmental oversight over commodities (again). Free market? Yeah, right...

Edit: Oh, and you "supply and demand" guys? Go douse yourselves in oil and smoke a cigarette.

Well why on earth did the speculators allow oil to go all the way down $40 a barrel. Did they get tired of raping us?

The reality is there was speculation in the oil market, but they were only able to drive prices up because supply was so tight. Prices went up, more supply came online, demand dropped and prices plummeted. It really is that simple.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

I just can't imagine the day we'll have governmental oversight over commodities (again). Free market? Yeah, right...

Edit: Oh, and you "supply and demand" guys? Go douse yourselves in oil and smoke a cigarette.

Well why on earth did the speculators allow oil to go all the way down $40 a barrel. Did they get tired of raping us?

The reality is there was speculation in the oil market, but they were only able to drive prices up because supply was so tight. Prices went up, more supply came online, demand dropped and prices plummeted. It really is that simple.

Do you go to magic shows and insist to everyone in the audience that they are really chopping someone in half?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

Do you go to magic shows and insist to everyone in the audience that they are really chopping someone in half?

Do you dispute that oil supplies rose during the oil spike(rig count went to record high) and demand dropped significantly(look at the average number of highway miles traveled in the US).

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Threats of Congressional investigation which could potentially lead to criminal trials?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Drift3r

Threats of Congressional investigation which could potentially lead to criminal trials?

or more supply which was forcing speculators to take deliverly of oil instead of selling their contracts to someone else....

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
so, now that they speculated electricity, and speculated oil... whats next... natural gas?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
so, now that they speculated electricity, and speculated oil... whats next... natural gas?

natural gas pretty much rose and feel on a similar path to oil. However we now know how to tap natural gas from shale formations, so natural gas is likely to stay low for a while.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
NG have been speculated just like everything eles. Recently I knew a stock broker that lost his shirt on NG futures trading.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

They had to stop because the massive redemptions in the hedge fund industry, not to mention they just couldn't keep the scheme going in light of the failing economy.

As with the housing scheme, once the music stopped, they knew they would be left without a chair, so they all left the market.

Now there are many without a chair, so they're storing oil in massive tankers, praying it'll go up enough so they don't lose all of their money.

It was all a big fucking joke.

As evidenced by this...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...R2008082003898_pf.html

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
De-Regulation strikes again. I wonder if all those Bankers/Investors who lied before Congress will have to face some music?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa
NG have been speculated just like everything eles. Recently I knew a stock broker that lost his shirt on NG futures trading.

sorry, i meant "created and bursted a bubble"... speaking of which... so was the housing... we have a lot of bubbles recently.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Yea I saw that. No new real info for me. I kept up with some of the info and saw the majority of oil futures went to people that never took delivery of it. All the demand we kept hearing about was never really there. In fact after prices went up a little demand started to drop. and so on...

The problem is as soon as more money gets back into the market oil will jump again. That and the middle east is cutting back a little as well. So unless soemthing is done then gas can get higher then it was before. I am kinda glad Obama and Dems have more power now and hopefully they have not been paid off like the republicans were for oil/broker houses.
With a stronger Democratic majority in Congress, we may actually be able to get some legislation pushed through to help curb rampant speculation. There were some bills being pushed through during the summer, but they got held up by the Republicans.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: BoomerD

That just adds insult to injury...taking it from an "unnegotiated piece" to a gang rape...after all, once you've got the bitch knocked down and stuffing it in her ass, why not let everyone else have a turn?

The corporate rape of America continues.

eloquently put... bailout, the gangrape of america, a followup to the regular rape.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

With a stronger Democratic majority in Congress, we may actually be able to get some legislation pushed through to help curb rampant speculation. There were some bills being pushed through during the summer, but they got held up by the Republicans.

it was democrats who deregulated housing causing its bubble... and opposed republicans who tried to regulate it. Democrats =! regulation.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

They had to stop because the massive redemptions in the hedge fund industry, not to mention they just couldn't keep the scheme going in light of the failing economy.

As with the housing scheme, once the music stopped, they knew they would be left without a chair, so they all left the market.

Now there are many without a chair, so they're storing oil in massive tankers, praying it'll go up enough so they don't lose all of their money.

As evidenced by this...

Yes the bubble was formed and popped for many reasons.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

As evidenced by this...

Not "many" reasons. As shown in the link, ONE speculator held 11% of the contracts trading in the market. They weren't holding them for delivery, but for speculation. Creating that much demand, out of thin air, WILL drive prices up.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
The price of oil fell when many speculators took a bath with the banks going to hell. Many had huge margin calls and needed cash immediately. A lot of speculators were institutional and had large daily cash obligations that could no longer be met with interest and dividends. Billions were taken from oil speculating almost overnight. Falling consumption simply added to the panic.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

As evidenced by this...

Not "many" reasons. As shown in the link, ONE speculator held 11% of the contracts trading in the market. They weren't holding them for delivery, but for speculation. Creating that much demand, out of thin air, WILL drive prices up.

Yes it will. But that one speculator was only able to do that because supply was tight and could keep turning over the contract without having the take delivery. Once supply and demand came back into equalibrium, flipping the contracts was no longer an option so they money left that market.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
The price of oil fell when many speculators took a bath with the banks going to hell. Many had huge margin calls and needed cash immediately. A lot of speculators were institutional and had large daily cash obligations that could no longer be met with interest and dividends. Billions were taken from oil speculating almost overnight. Falling consumption simply added to the panic.

Exactly. Since they were facing massive margin calls in many other assets, the best way to get out was to sell the most liquid assets, stocks and commodities.

The "demand" side of the equation was a phantom demand.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Fighting for a supply/demand excuse for oil prices all the way to the end, eh? Somehow, I think a mountain of evidence could fall on you, and you'd still continue to spew on and on about it.