The Radeon 7850 is an overclocking beast

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
My old GTX 460 1GB @ 875 Mhz actually beat the HD 7850 @ 1100 Mhz in a FRAPS run in Skyrim around Windhelm (same save, same path taken). Ultra settings, Vsync on:

HD 7850 -

Min, Max, Avg
44, 62, 58.036

GTX 460 1GB (301.42 drivers)

Min, Max, Avg
49, 63, 58.858

Doesn't really matter - both cards stay pretty much at 60 FPS. I only have about five or six games on my PC and I can't tell any difference in performance between the two cards in any of them - except for Two Worlds II. With Vsync on the HD 7850 for some reason runs at 30 FPS or 60 FPS with huge drops between the two. The GTX 460 1GB has variable FPS with it on. I play nothing but RPGs from the last few years - no really demanding shooters, plus its with an X4 980 @ 3.9 Ghz on a 1680x1050 monitor. If I had a more robust PC and bigger monitor I'd probably see a bigger difference. Guess I should have waited to upgrade until I had some games and hardware that it would actually make a difference in.

Last edited:

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
The problem is that people think that the 7800 cards are 6900 replacements, when they are simply 6800 replacements. If they were appropriately priced for their performance bracket these cards would make much more sense, but at the moment the only decent card on the market is 3rd party cooled GTX 670, and that's only because it's the best of a badly overpriced bunch.

Feb 19, 2009
The problem is that people think that the 7800 cards are 6900 replacements, when they are simply 6800 replacements. If they were appropriately priced for their performance bracket these cards would make much more sense, but at the moment the only decent card on the market is 3rd party cooled GTX 670, and that's only because it's the best of a badly overpriced bunch.

Did you even bother to read this thread or you jump in here without knowing anything??

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
I did some more testing and my best scores are at 1200/1400 @ 1.2V. My scores are lower going up on the core after 1200.

Ropey

Feb 6, 2006
I just registered to give this input, so hello to all.

I bought the ASUS stock 7850 CU. It gave me default settings of 870MHz, 4840 Mem and 1075vcore.

So, I flashed to the ASUS Top Bios and had problems. It was fine at the Top Bios settings which were 975 Core, 5000 Mem and 1.225vcore but when I installed (removed prior to flashing) the GPU Tweak and attempted to increase the settings I found immediate flashing sprites and then a large block square of the left hand corner (~25% of the screen) went black.

I immediately shut down and re-flashed back to the original stock ASUS bios for this card. I've been flashing since the days of the ATi 9800. :biggrin:

I'm at 1208Mhz, 5500Mhz Mem and 1.184 Vcore. There's more but this is enough with this card right now. I idle at 360Mhz Core, 600Mhz Mem and .9vcore.

ASUS Is a large company and has some of the best bios engineers in the business. Regarding GPU Tweak, well there seems to be a degree of play with single increments that is lost with larger increments. In other words, if I set to stock and move the 2d clocks incrementally lower, they lower. If I attempt to set from 400 to 360 it reverts to 400.

I've been testing with the Heaven bench and stress as well as COD and Counterstrike source and this 7850 is a fine chip.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
I just registered to give this input, so hello to all.

I bought the ASUS stock 7850 CU. It gave me default settings of 870MHz, 4840 Mem and 1075vcore.

So, I flashed to the ASUS Top Bios and had problems. It was fine at the Top Bios settings which were 975 Core, 5000 Mem and 1.225vcore but when I installed (removed prior to flashing) the GPU Tweak and attempted to increase the settings I found immediate flashing sprites and then a large block square of the left hand corner (~25% of the screen) went black.

I immediately shut down and re-flashed back to the original stock ASUS bios for this card. I've been flashing since the days of the ATi 9800. :biggrin:

I'm at 1208Mhz, 5500Mhz Mem and 1.184 Vcore. There's more but this is enough with this card right now. I idle at 360Mhz Core, 600Mhz Mem and .9vcore.

ASUS Is a large company and has some of the best bios engineers in the business. Regarding GPU Tweak, well there seems to be a degree of play with single increments that is lost with larger increments. In other words, if I set to stock and move the 2d clocks incrementally lower, they lower. If I attempt to set from 400 to 360 it reverts to 400.

I've been testing with the Heaven bench and stress as well as COD and Counterstrike source and this 7850 is a fine chip.

It was a mistake flashing the TOP bios especially if you have the standard DC2. With that low stock voltage i think 1325 core might be possible with the right cooling

Ropey

Feb 6, 2006
It was a mistake flashing the TOP bios especially if you have the standard DC2. With that low stock voltage i think 1325 core might be possible with the right cooling

I flashed because I wondered how it would take. It's the same chip and it's not a mistake because I learned from it and the card is just fine. I've given that information out to others who were wondering. Now they have my experience to add into the mix.

I've bricked cards and learned from the bricking when it's happened. It's part and parcel of this enthusiast game. I enjoy it and hey, it's just digits. I had a lot of fun taking my X800 pro to platinum, and the party continues.

:biggrin:

It hasn't gone higher than 72C at full load (furmark). Now that the CPU's have a failsafe video adapter built in, it's full speed ahead.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
Since I most recently jumped back into the PC gaming world - what are you guys playing that is requiring some heavy OCing?

I'm running with two 6870s, and when I enable just one - I can't really find any games that make it chug...BF3, crysis 3, Diablo3, starcraft, tribes, unreal 3...

Just curious!

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Since I most recently jumped back into the PC gaming world - what are you guys playing that is requiring some heavy OCing?

I'm running with two 6870s, and when I enable just one - I can't really find any games that make it chug...BF3, crysis 3, Diablo3, starcraft, tribes, unreal 3...

Just curious!
*All* the Crysis games, Battlefield 3, plus a few others.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004

Just curious!
It depends on what settings you use, what resolution you play at, and what you define "chug" as meaning. ;) Like Sickbeast said, heavy hitters are the Crysis games and BF3, and I'll suggest Metro 2033 and STALKER: CoP too.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
Did you even bother to read this thread or you jump in here without knowing anything??

Why do I have to read the entire thread about mediocre performing cards that are hugely overpriced? Are you suggesting that their prices are where they should be? If so you've been duped or you have simply forgotten how big the performance gap has been since the last node jump.

Last edited:

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Why do I have to read the entire thread about mediocre performing cards that are hugely overpriced? Are you suggesting that their prices are where they should be? If so you've been duped or you have simply forgotten how big the performance gap has been since the last node jump.

7850 is priced perfectly. The 7870 is the overpriced one

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
7850 is priced perfectly. The 7870 is the overpriced one
7850 is very ridiculously overpriced considering that it commands over a $70 premium over what the retail price of the last generation middle range 6850 that the 7850 replaces. That being said this generations middle range has the performance & PRICE of last generations high end range so in reality it is the high end of these new cards in where people are truly getting ripped off 28nm be damned I presume. Also AMD has a big hole in there line up this time around in where the 6870 was which IMO is a terrible flop because that's the card most people are interested in and where AMD made all there money.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
7850 is very ridiculously overpriced considering that it commands over a $70 premium over what the retail price of the last generation middle range 6850 that the 7850 replaces. That being said this generations middle range has the performance & PRICE of last generations high end range so in reality it is the high end of these new cards in where people are truly getting ripped off 28nm be damned I presume. Also AMD has a big hole in there line up this time around in where the 6870 was which IMO is a terrible flop because that's the card most people are interested in and where AMD made all there money.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet.
I Really do like AMD and Nvidia cards all the same but they are both disgustingly overpriced but at leased AMD seems to be able to keep up there supply with there demand. I went Nvidia this time around and it should be on my doorstep tomorrow and I will post a full review compleat with benchmarks on it this weekend.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I Really do like AMD and Nvidia cards all the same but they are both disgustingly overpriced but at leased AMD seems to be able to keep up there supply with there demand. I went Nvidia this time around and it should be on my doorstep tomorrow and I will post a full review compleat with benchmarks on it this weekend.

What did you get? Because the 7850 has a higher bang-for-buck than the gtx 670/80, overclock vs overclock. Even at stock vs stock it still edges out the gtx 670. If you got an older-gen card there are some deals out there, but they will have more power/heat/noise and probably less VRAM as well.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
What did you get? Because the 7850 has a higher bang-for-buck than the gtx 670/80, overclock vs overclock. Even at stock vs stock it still edges out the gtx 670. If you got an older-gen card there are some deals out there, but they will have more power/heat/noise and probably less VRAM as well.
The card I bought is an EVGA GTX 560 SE and to be honest I really don't need much more horse power I mean I am pulling 60fps in Skyrim on Ultra less the AA/AF but with FXAA applied on the GTX 275. Power consumption and heat are not an issue to me at all I mean my GTX 275 pulls 220watts and peaks @ 91c max in game and it does not bother me in the leased bit.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
The card I bought is an EVGA GTX 560 SE and to be honest I really don't need much more horse power I mean I am pulling 60fps in Skyrim on Ultra less the AA/AF but with FXAA applied on the GTX 275. Power consumption and heat are not an issue to me at all I mean my GTX 275 pulls 220watts and peaks @ 91c max in game and it does not bother me in the leased bit.

Why that and not a 7770?

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Why that and not a 7770?
Price I had in store credit and the 560 was cheaper plus EVGA is awesome. I will also bet that the GF 114 based GTX 560 which is the perfected GF 104 GTX 460 is one hell of an OCer even more so than the good old GTX 460.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Is there really enough difference between the two cards, performance wise, to warrant an argument?
Nope but I have a hunch the 560 SE will net a higher return with both cards on there respective max OC so stay tuned when I post up my review and benchmark results.

Feb 19, 2009

I dont know if you are truly that thick but going back before the 28nm launch, if you tell people they can get gtx580 performance at less than half the power use and for ~$250, most would agree its a good deal.