The quote "The riot is the language of the unheard" is from Martin Luther King Jr. So how do both sides deal with it?

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
It appears the conservatives are too afraid to criticize the quote for fear of losing votes on Nov 3. This is concerning the riots going on since last Spring. But by not condemning the quote they are indirectly condoning the riots in my opinion.

And if liberals and progressives use the quote to support rights for blacks and other oppressed people then they run the risk of appearing to encourage rioting.

Is there a way to reconcile any of this or reach a middle ground if possible?

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
What? Liberals can accept the quote and say that catering to white nationalism and failing to enact policies that help minorities is the cause of the riots. They follow that up with plans to fix the problem. It isn't supporting or condoning rioting to say that GOP policies have left the disenfranchised little choice.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It appears the conservatives are too afraid to criticize the quote for fear of losing votes on Nov 3. This is concerning the riots going on since last Spring. But by not condemning the quote they are indirectly condoning the riots in my opinion.

And if liberals and progressives use the quote to support rights for blacks and other oppressed people then they run the risk of appearing to encourage rioting.

Its why, as a society, it's best to constantly be striving to better ourselves (society itself) and to address the issues of the day or else it will boil up until citizens feel they aren't being heard or feel ignored.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I think that cherry picking one line out of his speech is not useful. His speech must be read in whole to provide context.

"Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention"

He condemns the riots as equally as he condemns the worsening African American condition. MLK did not believe rioting was useful in any way.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
I think that cherry picking one line out of his speech is not useful. His speech must be read in whole to provide context.

"Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention"

He condemns the riots as equally as he condemns the worsening African American condition. MLK did not believe rioting was useful in any way.

Nice job. Its sort of like democrats today that global warming is a symptom of human pollution. They aren't excusing global warming... in fact, they are saying its bad, and the way to fix it is to go after the root cause, because cranking the AC isn't going to do anything.

Republicans are a reactionary bunch by nature. They respond to things and bandaid, rather that anticipate and solve underlying issues.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

And that is what makes MLK the man.

His language on keeping America's promise was part of peaceful demonstrations that were met by violence. The injustice against them moved a nation to progress.

Riots move a nation to sheer barbarism. For if they go far enough they will simply be met by lethal force. Or incite retaliatory acts of terrorism. Destruction of the nation is the polar opposite of MLK. His was a symbol and a message of building the Civil Right movement. Not one of burning it all down. His loss was a moment America lost its soul. Despite progress made we remained shattered after that heinous act.

Today those divisions run deep and are being acted upon to drive us further apart. Until our nation bleeds out. There is a better way, but without men like MLK to lead movements of people - we may forever be lost, never seeing the forest from the trees. It seems people today want violence more than they want progress. Woe be to us all.

Nov 8, 2012
Only complete moronic buffoons quote this. Mostly because they take the entire message out of context with one sentence in order to peddle their moronic narrative.

Inyet, this isn't surprising. In the age of fake news and incompetent journalism, this is living proof that it exists in full.

At no point did MLK ever indicate any justification or rationalism for rioting and/or looting. Period.

His entire message was based on showing how we are all human - not based on segregating one another into skin color oppression groups. Apparently this went in one ear and out the other with the majority of moronic fools on this forum.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I'm not moronic for somewhat taking the quote out of context. The reason I didn't take it completely out of context is the word MLK Jr used which is "the unheard." If he was serious about condemning all forms of rioting it seems he would have said something close to "The riot is the language of the barbarian."

It's true he's a hero to mankind but people in general including heroes occasionally have a bias in a low key way. In this case he appears to be somewhat coddling the rioters by calling them the unheard instead of a more stern word. That can lead people to think he's almost excusing rioting by blaming it on the politicians and society.

Racist politicians and a racist population are the main causes of rioting of course. Just to be clear on that. But note how I've caused doubt about my meaning with two words "the main." I've implied there could be other reasons like possibly the rioters being bad people. I would have been better off just saying "are the causes" instead of "are the main causes."

With MLK Jr using the two words "the unheard" instead of calling them bad people it changes the tone of his speech in the way I tried to describe it in the first two paragraphs above. No doubt I will be criticized by those who say "the unheard" is referring to sympathy towards the grievances of the unheard, and therefore doesn't mean condoning rioting. And I certainly understand that interpretation. I have sympathy for their grievances. I would be a moron if I didn't.

It's just that the MLK Jr quote to me seems to go beyond any one group of oppressed people. It seems to encompass just about everyone. If he meant it as applying to all people in the sense that we are all capable of rioting and condoning rioting then I can see that. If his quote has the implication that we are all bad people so let's accept that and get to work to correct as many injustices as we can, then maybe that's something the posters here can understand.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
May I ask...do you understand who “the unheard“ MLK was referring to are?

Mar 11, 2004
I don't think citing the quote is a justification for rioting so much as an explanation of its occurrence.
Want riots to stop? Improve people's lives.

If we spent half the money on public welfare programs (including straight up just giving the money to poor people as cash with no questions or requirements) we'd likely do FAR more to combat crime than that being spent on police.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm not moronic for somewhat taking the quote out of context. The reason I didn't take it completely out of context is the word MLK Jr used which is "the unheard." If he was serious about condemning all forms of rioting it seems he would have said something close to "The riot is the language of the barbarian."

It's true he's a hero to mankind but people in general including heroes occasionally have a bias in a low key way. In this case he appears to be somewhat coddling the rioters by calling them the unheard instead of a more stern word. That can lead people to think he's almost excusing rioting by blaming it on the politicians and society.

Racist politicians and a racist population are the main causes of rioting of course. Just to be clear on that. But note how I've caused doubt about my meaning with two words "the main." I've implied there could be other reasons like possibly the rioters being bad people. I would have been better off just saying "are the causes" instead of "are the main causes."

With MLK Jr using the two words "the unheard" instead of calling them bad people it changes the tone of his speech in the way I tried to describe it in the first two paragraphs above. No doubt I will be criticized by those who say "the unheard" is referring to sympathy towards the grievances of the unheard, and therefore doesn't mean condoning rioting. And I certainly understand that interpretation. I have sympathy for their grievances. I would be a moron if I didn't.

It's just that the MLK Jr quote to me seems to go beyond any one group of oppressed people. It seems to encompass just about everyone. If he meant it as applying to all people in the sense that we are all capable of rioting and condoning rioting then I can see that. If his quote has the implication that we are all bad people so let's accept that and get to work to correct as many injustices as we can, then maybe that's something the posters here can understand.

That you're having to explain yourself just shows you don't understand the quote at all. So, sorry, you are a moron because you literally are explicitly admitting you're intentionally taking it out of context in order to distort its meaning and then for some moronic reason trying to argue about it, even though you know that's fucking stupid.

What's next you're going to try and frame Hitler's speeches to go "see he wasn't really saying Jews are to blame for everything!"? Because that's the fucking level of racist idiocy you're resorting to with your fucking idiotic clown routine that is this thread.

What the fuck were you thinking with this thread? Its straight up Turmp level of outright racist brainshitsplatter. You're quibbling with yourself even to try and justify it which is even more nutty. Did you just get braincucked by the clownfucking conservatives on here or something?

Personally, I think the bigger issue is idiots deliberately playing stupid to enable racist fucksticks. As without people like you, there would be no means for which people like Turmp and others to exploit into power.

So if you're going to be casting dispersion, you should start with yourself and your role in shit. Without idiots like you to knowingly and deliberately twist shit so you can go "rioting is bad, and Democrats and even MLK seem to be on board with rioters, so herpes derpes guess I gotta vote for Turmp!" then instead of having dumbass semantic arguments, we could be working on shit that matters. Fuck off with this type of shit. Seek mental health care because your brain just went to fucked.

Mar 11, 2004
I predict OP is gonna ask for this thread to be locked when he finally sobers up from the drunken stupor it took to make it. At least I'm assuming that's the explanation for it. I'd almost say its a new one to see someone simultaneously admit they are shitposting but quibble with themselves over justifying doing that in order to try to make their argument work, but I think I've actually seen that happen on here before (or maybe that was just one of the Quibis - well at least one good thing came from that abomination - flip flopped to quibbling against their own argument while not even realizing it; its hard to keep up with all the idiocy involved in their behavior).

The overt racism was a new one. I don't recall the OP bopping along to that before but maybe he has?

I feel like I'm to blame, I asked them to start honking their nose to let us know they're working on their clown routines. I guess I shoulda realized they wouldn't know the different between that and racist dogwhistling?

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Only complete moronic buffoons quote this. Mostly because they take the entire message out of context with one sentence in order to peddle their moronic narrative.

Inyet, this isn't surprising. In the age of fake news and incompetent journalism, this is living proof that it exists in full.

At no point did MLK ever indicate any justification or rationalism for rioting and/or looting. Period.

His entire message was based on showing how we are all human - not based on segregating one another into skin color oppression groups. Apparently this went in one ear and out the other with the majority of moronic fools on this forum.

Holy oversimplification and generalization, Batman.

MLK's statement, even without the fuller context provided here, is quite clear: if you want to end rioting, tackle the root causes. In this case, systemic racism and lack of opportunities. It's an explanation and a solution for rioting, not an endorsement.

Remember that one video posted this summer where a woman lashes out at people who are shocked that riots are taking place? She was echoing MLK's words without repeating them. After 400 years of black people being marginalized in the US, whether overtly through slavery and segregation or subtler systemic racism like police violence, it shouldn't be any wonder that a small portion of protesters would turn to looting and smashing windows.

Reactions: mect

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
This quote actually exposes the true problem with conservatism, which is that it doesn't have any actual solutions to our nation's problems. Because it ignores the root causes in favor of blame and self-serving easy fixes. Because conservatives ignore that if their lives were like that, if they were treated like that, they'd fucking riot too.

Mar 11, 2004
This quote actually exposes the true problem with conservatism, which is that it doesn't have any actual solutions to our nation's problems. Because it ignores the root causes in favor of blame and self-serving easy fixes. Because conservatives ignore that if their lives were like that, if they were treated like that, they'd fucking riot too.

Hell they're calling for that over far less. They legitimately believe they've been persecuted worse than black Americans.

In their warped minds cops murdering people are persecuted more than the people they murder.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

The reconciliation you seek does not take place in a middle ground. It takes place at a greater level of understanding. As you can see in this post that you have made, it has generated not just attempts to clarify the issue to you at such a higher level, but scorn for you for having raised it in the first place.

In order to understand that you need to know something about the origins of feelings, and in particular the feeling of victimization. What people do not realize is that they have all been through what amounts to abuse as in a concentration camp, don't know it, don't want to know it, don't want to know they don't want to know. So my guess is that what I will say additionally if not already, will have little impact. But then perhaps the walls have ears.

We were all victims,, victims of abuse that caused our psychic deaths. There are two ways to survive that, by keeping alive empathy for the victim, some shred of self respect hidden behind some outward form of resistance, or Stockholm Syndrome, a capitulation of self and the adoption of perpetrator mentality. It is a sort of to be or not to be sort of thing.

How does this apply to rioting and its justification? It's all about who we blame which is all about the need to blame, the inevitable result of loss of real self identification, the love and capacity to live in the present as a person of capacity and or contentment. In short, all of this is the inevitable result of the fact that humanity is asleep, living in an altered reality, the rise of inner discontent and outward projection of blame. There is no body to blame but that realization is too painful to see. means that there is nobody on whom you can justifiably unload all of your own personal pain. The only way out is too awaken and that is a trip that takes you through your personal past hell, or some sort of mystical onslaught of cosmic awareness.

So there are two kinds of being a victim, the real one that we were as children and the imaginary one we project, that the bad people are either the people who victimize or real victims we see as victimizing us for their reminder of what we have done to them. So we have two forms of result, those who want to victimize victimizers and those who want to victimize victims.

We are all victims and where we come down is the difference in false self identification as to which false identity bull(shit) we happen to fall into gets gored.

So we are all victims but the targets of our blame differ. And we create what we fear. Those who fear being victims of victimizers will victimize the victimizers increasing their desire to victimize more victims. And this will swing like a pendulum back and forth as we act our our pain in our sleep.

This is the real riot that has gone on all around us since we were born and the language that goes unheard.

You are the victim and the reconciliation of that issue is within you and nowhere else. If you want to step off the wheel of Karma that perpetuates this endless cycle strive to treat others with more compassion.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
From what I've seen with regards to rioting and protests that get out of hand, the left tends to attack buildings and structures, while the right tends to attack people.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
But they already imagine they are being treated that way and refuse to acknowledge the reminder.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Another Malcolm X quote.
He wasn't all that found of any white folks, hard to find fault with that attitude.

The liberal elements of whites are those who have perfected the art of selling themselves to the Negro as a friend of the Negro. Getting sympathy of the Negro, getting the allegiance of the Negro, and getting the mind of the Negro. Then the Negro sides with the white liberal, and the white liberal use the Negro against the white conservative. So that anything that the Negro does is never for his own good, never for his own advancement, never for his own progress, he’s only a pawn in the hands of the white liberal. The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros, and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have. If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked, or deceived by the white liberal then Negros would get together and solve our own problems.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

what is there to condemn in that quote?