The question that has plagued women for ages: Why are men dogs?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
This a topic that I had been thinking about for a while. Why is it that most men are inclined to pursue physical relationships than emotional ones? I know this is not applicable to all men, but as a guy who has talked to countless other guys about the same topic I think that I can speak with confidence when I say that if guys could get away with it they would have numerous female partners simultaneously.

This is not to say that some women would'nt do the same thing but I beleive for the most part if a woman is fairly content with her partner she does'nt care to much about having additional physical relationships. (again I think that this applies to most women but not all) On the other hand there have be instances where men were content with their marriages but yet they still felt the need to have other physical relationships with women.

So basically my question is why do we men have that urge or desire to sleep with as many women as we can? Even back in historical times kings, pharoahs and rulers were known to have several wives and concubines. In certain tribes the chieftan has many wives as well.

Could the reason men have this need be related to the fact that there are more women than men on the earth? Hopefully this topic won't offend anyone, but I'm just curious about that particualar part of human nature.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
I think that I can speak with confidence when I say that if guys could get away with it they would have numerous female partners simultaneously.

Dammit, don't let them know that!!

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Guys are just hornier than women. Guys will have sex anywhere, bathroom, backyard, kitchen floor. It does not matter, as long as were getting sex.

I think it has more to do with genetics, it's bred into us. The difference is that most married men love their wives. And the thought of hurting them will prevent most of us from acting on our impulses.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I agree Stosh, I'm a married man nyself and my wife and I have fairly good relationship. But on some occasions I find myself thinking about things I should'nt even be dreaming about.

Whoever said 2 heads are better than one?

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
My wife always told me. "It's ok to look at the menu, as long as you come home for dinner"

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It stems from our past evolution over the last 10,000 years. Basically, it's pretty clear that just about all life forms are driven to procreate and pass on their genes to another generation.

If you look at thousands of years of human evolution, the male behavior you describe makes sense: A male's best chance of procreating would be to have intercourse with as many females as possible, to raise the chances of having offspring. For the female, having many male partners doesn't do any good -- it makes more sense for her to pick the 'best' male out there (based on whatever indicators of evolutional 'strength' she can find) and have him be the father off her offspring. That gives them the best chance for survival. This process has been ingrained in humans over a long period of time.

Also, a male didn't have any way of knowing if he was the father of a child or not (until recently in our history). Thus, one of the things that was ingrained in the male as absolutely imperative to the male is the loyalty of the female -- it's his only protection against raising, feeding and protecting another male's offspring. For the female, that male loyalty is not needed. It doesn't matter if he has intercourse with other females, so long as he provides for and protects her young.

This is admittedly a very primitive view on things, but it does seem to make sense and fit general behavior patterns. The contious reasoning is no longer the same, but we are still driven by those same instincs developed over thousands of years.

herdmaster

Apr 22, 2000
Quote "Guys are just hornier than women. Guys will have sex anywhere, bathroom, backyard, kitchen floor. It does not matter, as long as were getting sex."

Actually it's anything that walks, crawls, flies or swims and hasn't been dead over 3 days.

Seriously, it's built in instinct to perpetuate the species. we spread the seeds and women nurture them.

InTheClouds

Jul 6, 2000
I think it is because there are so many wonderful looking women out there. It's hard to find the women that you can actually live with but it is oh to easy to find the woman which would satisfy your short term needs.

graen drol

Feb 10, 2000
Tagej has got is perfectly as far as I am concerned. Its amazing to me how humans try to seperate themselves from the rest of the animal kingdom. We as animals have the most basic biological drive to reproduce. When you get down to it, biologically speaking, everything we do is to pass on our genes on to further generations. Although we have society standards condemning it our basic instincts say for males to have sex with as many women as possible and for women try and find a partner for life. Basic instincts that have been ingrained into us for tens of thousands of years are at work. Society standards cannot counteract that all of the time.

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
You may be correct Graen drol, but there is something called evolution. What makes us different from the other species on the planet? We don't react from pure instinct. We can think, we can choose how we live our lives.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< We can think, we can choose how we live our lives >>

Yes, but tell that to an alcohol addict.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
if girls were as horny as guys this planet would have 3 times as many people as it does now

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
UG, Alcoholics still choose to drink. It may not be an easy choice to stop, but it can be done. Many alcoholics make the choice to never drink again.

I hope your not implying that men who cheat on their wives can't help it. You can say the urge to have sex with many women has been bred into us for thousands of years. To act upon the urge still takes consious thought.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Stosh, I'm only saying that physiological compulsions can easily override conscious decision making processes, some more so than others, certainly.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, we still have the final 'control' over our conscious actions, but I don't think people understand how much influence our primeval instincts have on our behavior. They may be repressed to a large extent since our society wouldn't be able to handle everyone acting out on their base instincts, but they are there, and they are behind a lot of the things we do.

For example, a joint research study done by the U of Michigan and the U of Geneva found that women dress a lot 'skimpier' (measured by a computer in terms of the amount of skin they show, as seen from a frontal picture) when they go out if they are ovulating. This is an obvious attempt at attracting a mate when the chance of conceiving offspring is the highest, but the women didn't make a conscious decision to dress 'skimpy' when going out. They never thought about it, but they were driven by an instinct thousands of years old.

....or how about Cannibalism? What is it about eating our own kind that makes it so 'yech' for us?? The answer lies in evolution again. Scientists are now finding more and more evidence that many diseases (especially long term ones) are passed from person to person if they practice cannibalism. Thus, the practice is detrimental to the survival of the species, and we've accepted it as 'bad'.

All very interesting stuff though!

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I believe alot of men who are dogs are that way simply because their women allow them to be. I mean come on, if he has cheated on you repeatedly, after telling you how sorry he is, then you are a fool for ever letting him back in your life. I am tired of seeing women cry about men who drink, cheat and just basically treat a woman like crap, and the woman saying, &quot;But he loves me.&quot;

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

graen drol

Feb 10, 2000

<< You may be correct Graen drol, but there is something called evolution. >>

What do you think created the urges to be unfaithful? Its ALL evolution! Some people(men and women) have taken the evolutionary path of exclusive mating while some have not. We are still animals driven by instinct to pass on our genetics.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
we are &quot;dogs&quot; because we have not been &quot;trained&quot; properly.

some of us just don't know how to treat people in general, let alone women.

Maybe it has to do with hormones. I mean, women are said to enter puberty and mature faster than men (well, girls and boys since they are boys and girls at that point)...

frankly, i want the physical. but the &quot;relationship&quot; cannot exist without the emotional. I would rather fall in love than to &quot;get off.&quot; *I need a wife.*

I wouldn't mind sleeping with as many women as i want, but then, there are few women that i really DO want to sleep with.

feeling the attraction to another woman while in a relationship is normal. (what, are we expected to completely ignore a pretty woman. I mean, i have done that, and have been called MEAN. I don't like being called mean :(, and it's not like we are dead from the waste down, or neck up) however, following through with that attraction to a point of cheating (the point is decided by the other member of the relationship) is just wrong.

we may be of the kingdom animalia, but we aren't human beings for nothing.

one reason for the rulers to have so many women, may be a stature thing. well, women did die a lot during birth during those days... so... <<times those days were not known for human rights>>

for the most part, men and women do not have the SAME relationships. men treat men differently then they treat women, no matter the TYPE of relationship (professional, platonic, love). sometimes women can't get past the concept that men are not like women. and women do not really want their men like women (think about it).

physically speaking, women go through &quot;periods&quot; where their eggs mature once a month, and men produce sperm continuously (freaky huh).

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
the answer to the question is as complex as it gets. and can be as simple as it can get.

the complex answer has not been completed yet.

the simple answer is that men and women are different.