Info The QD-OLED Era begins. TVs and Gaming monitors announced.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leeea

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2020
A fan. In a monitor. An audible fan. Ewww.

a bit disappointed with the subpixel layout. I think that would be rather distracting.

Still appears to be the best monitor out there for gaming, if there was only way to snuff the fan.

Justinus

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2005

a bit disappointed with the subpixel layout. I think that would be rather distracting.

Still appears to be the best monitor out there for gaming, if there was only way to snuff the fan.
A lot of high refresh rate/high res gaming monitors have fans. Seems like, just like any other monitor with a fan, some people claim it's loud and they can hear it all the time and others say they never hear anything.

What I'm more curious about is why there seems to be such a noise level variance in fans in displays.

My 27GP950 has a fan and I've never heard it, so I have had a good experience with a display with fan so I wouldn't be put off.

Reactions: Leeea

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I am ready to pull the trigger on the Dell, but ordering now and shipping in June is a bummer. I will just wait till it ships when ordered. I have had my Asus curved 34" for years now and love the angle and res. Reviews of the Dell are great, and my Asus was over twice as expensive when I bought it so *almost* seems like a bargin now.

thxdd

Sep 24, 2005
I pulled the trigger earlier this week, ship date 6/14. Will post impressions from my sunny room when it arrives! Hoping I won’t have issues with the lack of a polarizer and the 3m anti-glare coating, seems to only be a problem if you have light directly behind you.

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
if it means anything, and if alienware used the same fan they did in my AW3821DW i will promise you, you won't hear it unless your room is like dead silent. Infact i forget my monitor has a fan for its gsync ultimate module.

The alienware gsync ultimate module is VERY good and quiet, unlike its ACER counterpart.
So don't let that persuade you from not buying the monitor.

Alienware premium warranty tho is ridiculously good.
So you won't have to worry about burn ins, or that fan acting up and sounding like buzzer in the future, as you can just Advance RMA that sucker as long as its under warrenty.

On that note, i really wanted this monitor, but its a year too late.
Also im in love with my AW3821DW because i have more real estate. That 1600 pixel bottom count is really noticeable over 1440.
I want a 32inch 4K QD-OLED to replace my portrait tho im currently using, but i don't think we'll see one.

However im also curious on QD-OLED will impact the pricing on MLED displays.
If i had to pick tho, i would probably go MLED.

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I pulled the trigger earlier this week, ship date 6/14. Will post impressions from my sunny room when it arrives! Hoping I won’t have issues with the lack of a polarizer and the 3m anti-glare coating, seems to only be a problem if you have light directly behind you.
I thought about it too, would probably forget about it and be a nice surprise. But instant gratification and what not, and hate to wait when having already paid for something. All signs point to this being my next monitor though.

thxdd

Sep 24, 2005
I thought about it too, would probably forget about it and be a nice surprise. But instant gratification and what not, and hate to wait when having already paid for something. All signs point to this being my next monitor though.
Well, it's just a hold, not actually paid for until it ships...that said, I am refreshing my order status at least once a day to see if the ship date has moved up. Definitely haven't forgotten about it, although I wish I could until June.

thxdd

Sep 24, 2005
For anyone looking at the Alienware AW3423DW, ship times are slipping for those who had initial ship dates of late April/early May, likely due to Covid related lockdowns where they assemble the monitors into late June. Just waiting for my late order June ship date to slip…

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Hopefully the uniformity Gods will bless us. And at last we can finally buy a decent monitor again.

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hopefully the uniformity Gods will bless us. And at last we can finally buy a decent monitor again.
you can already buy decent monitors tho.... its just how much your willing to pay.

thxdd

Sep 24, 2005
My AW3423DW arrived a few days ago and I have a few thoughts I can share. The fans are a non-issue, at least on my unit, and are nearly inaudible in a very hot room after hours of usage. I can hear them if I put my head behind the display and the room is quiet. I was very concerned about the glossy finish as I get a lot of sunlight in my room on 3 sides (all but behind me). This panel has no issues with brightness at very high ambient levels of light -- I would be worried if I had lights directly behind me facing the monitor, which I do not. The display does not display inky blacks during the day (more of a very dark grey), but it is still significantly better than my IPS panel was during the day, so I consider this a non-issue given all the other benefits. I love it and don't think I could go back to IPS at this point.

thxdd

Sep 24, 2005
How is the low ambient light and completely dark room performance? Would this make a great HDR monitor?
Yes, QDOLED just is missing a polarizer (which in turn lets far more light through). In lower ambient lighting conditions, this monitor is identical to a traditional OLED in terms of black levels. Both HDR400 and HDR1000 modes really make games like Cyberpunk 2077 sing (visually).

Reactions: igor_kavinski

ASK THE COMMUNITY