Info The QD-OLED Era begins. TVs and Gaming monitors announced.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
New QD-OLED TV, and Gaming Monitors based on Samsung panels have been announced at CES:

https://www.ces.tech/Innovation-Awa...-Odyssey-G8QNB-34”-Gaming-Monitor-(2022).aspx
Samsung Odyssey G8QNB 34” Gaming Monitor will be the world’s first Quantum Dot OLED (QD-OLED) gaming monitor, offering the best of both QLED and OLED screen technology. With high-performance features like a 175Hz refresh rate and 0.1ms

Same Panel in Alienware:

Sony QD-OLED TVs:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Mine is at 6450 hours now and is going great, although most of that time was spent on an all-black screensaver. My previous one went to 3000-odd hours and also looked perfect when I sold it.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005

Corsair announced a version with adjustable curvature, allegedly you can set it to whatever curvature you like between flat and 800R.

These are still WRGB OLED though, but they are giving a 3 year no burnin no dead pixel guarantee, similar to the Alienware QD OLED so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.

The size and resolution is odd IMO, pixel density is terrible. It makes me think they are salvaged from failed 55" TV panels as they are almost the same pixel density.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The size and resolution is odd IMO, pixel density is terrible. It makes me think they are salvaged from failed 55" TV panels as they are almost the same pixel density.

Close doesn't count. To even be made on the same process it has to be exactly the same PPI, and this is an all new PPI, so it's made especially for this monitor.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Close doesn't count. To even be made on the same process it has to be exactly the same PPI, and this is an all new PPI, so it's made especially for this monitor.

Close is close enough to speculate. Frequently display sizes are fudged, and comprehensive specs are not available for the monitor yet.

If it is indeed a unique, new panel LG is making I have to ask why?

80PPI for a monitor is tragic.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Close is close enough to speculate. Frequently display sizes are fudged, and comprehensive specs are not available for the monitor yet.

Exact dimensions of 55" OLED are given as 54.65, and to match that PPI at the given resolution, this new screen would need to be a bit over 46". Did you ever hear of them advertising a screen as a full inch smaller than it really is.

Also do you seriously think they are taking failed TV screens and cutting them into smaller sections? That seems unlikely in the extreme.

If it is indeed a unique, new panel LG is making I have to ask why?

80PPI for a monitor is tragic.

They must have wanted to make a splash with the large size and high refresh, and it's aimed at gaming and media consumption, not text.

The biggest reason for odd seeming screen sizes, is how the cuts fit into the mother glass. They start with massive sheet of glass and cut it to dimensions of TVs/Monitors with as little waste as possible.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
anyone know if you can mount a LG C2 sideways (portrait)?
The samsung Arc to my definition is not a monitor, as its lacking DP ports, i may as well mount the 42inch LG C2 sideways if its possible on a wall mount.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
anyone know if you can mount a LG C2 sideways (portrait)?
The samsung Arc to my definition is not a monitor, as its lacking DP ports, i may as well mount the 42inch LG C2 sideways if its possible on a wall mount.
Pretty sure that it takes a vesa mount, just like the C1. As I didn't wall mount my C1, it will be up to you to find a mount to do what you want.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Pretty sure that it takes a vesa mount, just like the C1. As I didn't wall mount my C1, it will be up to you to find a mount to do what you want.

but does it allow mounting in portrait?
i hear some TV's do not like being on the side like that as it disrupts the heat dissipation, and other stuff.
I want a large 40 inch + but not too large monitor i can put in portrait @ 4k as a productivity monitor.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
For the C models, most of the weight is in the bulging part on the bottom and the mount is on that too. It should be possible to mount it sideways but the weight distribution may stress it over time. I think the G models are more symmetric.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
but does it allow mounting in portrait?
i hear some TV's do not like being on the side like that as it disrupts the heat dissipation, and other stuff.
I want a large 40 inch + but not too large monitor i can put in portrait @ 4k as a productivity monitor.
CP5670 is correct about the weight, and the placement of the mount. My concern is that you may forget, and put pressure on the top section of the tv. I suggest getting in contact with LG, and get their opinion. They have a support chat on their website.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The funny thing is it has a portait mode in the menu.
But everywhere i search for it, no one answers or has attempted to do so.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
LG adds powered Bending 42" OLED TV. It goes from Flat to 900R curve in 20 powered increments, from buttons on the remote:

LG-OLED-Flex-Product-01-e1661761613837-600x407.jpg

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That would actually be cool. You can use flatscreen mode for the desktop and curved mode for games. Might be very expensive compared to the regular TVs though.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I asked Tech support about the portrait mode feature in the menu, they said the monitor can do portrait, but here's where it gets confusing, none of them will state on record the monitor can be mounted in portrait. :confused:

Which is confusing the hell out of me even more... why have a feature for it, yet wont officially state it will support it physically?

I need someone whose mounted one of these suckers in portrait for more then a year chime in and say its still working as intended, before i pull the trigger on it.

But customer support is useless.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I found the monitor i am getting next to replace my 32inch 4k which is in portrait.

Its the Odyssey Ark. (i think the title is wrong and its not MLED but QD-OLED as other sources states)

its qd-oled, but its 55 inches... so i need to make sure my math is done correctly, or it my desk will probably break with all the weight.

I was actually thinking i was going to skip oled entirely and go over to micro led, but it seems its either dying because of cost, or no vendor wants to invest heavily in it yet, so they are next to impossible to get for a PC monitor.

Neo G7 and G8 are mini-led and not outrageous in cost? Of course they're Samsung so quality control is an issue.