The Powerball curse

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
How is this a curse, when it's only 1 guy? Sounds like most of the events which transpired would have occurred anyways even if he didn't win the lottery.

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
How is this a curse, when it's only 1 guy? Sounds like most of the events which transpired would have occurred anyways even if he didn't win the lottery.

There are other stories I have heard of where similar stuff happens

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I've heard of this happening before as well. Winning the powerball would be awesome, as long as nobody found out about it and you somehow managed to hide the fact you suddenly had much more money than you used to.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I've heard of this happening before as well. Winning the powerball would be awesome, as long as nobody found out about it and you somehow managed to hide the fact you suddenly had much more money than you used to.

You can't hide. I have no problem with close friends and family. Its everyone else, that I don't want to le know.

from california Winner hand book

What Personal Information Is Subject To Public Disclosure?
As a state agency, the California Lottery is subject to public disclosure laws that allow access to certain governmental records. Your name, the name and location of the retailer who sold the winning ticket, the date you won, and the amount of your winnings, including your gross and net installment payments, are matters of public record and are subject to disclosure. The Lottery may release additional information if legally mandated or upon your request.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
How is this a curse, when it's only 1 guy?

Because its not just 1 guy?

Article mentions 1 winner and what happens afterwards. As I said, most of the more "tragic" events likely would have played out even if he didn't win. If the writers wanted to make a stronger case for a "curse" rather than promoting a "sob" story about a millionaire who wins the powerball game, then they should have documented other cases as "proof" of this "curse".

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: herkulease

You can't hide. I have no problem with close friends and family. Its everyone else, that I don't want to le know.

As a state agency, the California Lottery is subject to public disclosure laws that allow access to certain governmental records. Your name, the name and location of the retailer who sold the winning ticket, the date you won, and the amount of your winnings, including your gross and net installment payments, are matters of public record and are subject to disclosure. The Lottery may release additional information if legally mandated or upon your request.

~$100+ million is more than enough to allow you to buy yourself some ability to hide...

Change your name, move, get up and out and just don't settle down. Winning all that money and expecting (or even wanting) to live the same old life you've always known just means you're an idiot for trying to win the money in the first place, because the most obvious part is that the money is going to allow you to do basically whatever you want, and if you just want to keep on doing what you've been doing then you don't need that money in the first place...

The whole point here is that this guy was too old to be winning a lottery in the first place, he wasn't able to adapt to the new change. It sucks that his wife never really loved him and that his friends weren't ever really his friends at all, but it isn't like that's anything new or unique.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: herkulease

~$100+ million is more than enough to allow you to buy yourself some ability to hide...

Change your name, move, get up and out and just don't settle down. Winning all that money and expecting (or even wanting) to live the same old life you've always known just means you're an idiot for trying to win the money in the first place, because the most obvious part is that the money is going to allow you to do basically whatever you want, and if you just want to keep on doing what you've been doing then you don't need that money in the first place...

The whole point here is that this guy was too old to be winning a lottery in the first place, he wasn't able to adapt to the new change. It sucks that his wife never really loved him and that his friends weren't ever really his friends at all, but it isn't like that's anything new or unique.

don't you think when you hit that fat jackpot the press isn't gonna try to take pictures of you?

I can't think of any huge jackpot winner who hasn't appeared in a photo holding that big check.