THE POLICE WANTED ME

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
Good to see the self-appointed thread police are once again on the trail.

Here's a thought. Let the mods handle things. They don't need your help.:|

I'm interested in hearing how this story turns out. Good luck!

beatinitup

Sep 22, 2000
one more thing. Ask for logs...and if your really in some serious $hit, then scan them and send it to me. I'll take a look at them and tell you whats up. Most cops are idiots..most admins are idiots. Hell im the unofficial admin of my school if u know what i mean. :D

amdmaxx

Jan 6, 2001
Does not sound like a good deal to me.. Post in Lost and Found..
Good Luck if u r serious about the offense..

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Just because they claim to have traced the subscriptions to you doesn't mean anything. They need to have hard poof that "you" did this...

Have you been receiving these magazines? Do you have them in your room? If you don't, then they don't have a case - they can make claims 'till the cows come home, but it doesn't make a case against you.... But if you've been getting these subscriptions - then you better seek consul...

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
remember the 5th amendment. Prepare yourself for bail money, credit card fraud? mmmm maybe $5000, so you don't rot in jail for 4 months before trial..

vash

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001
If you did something wrong, your butt could be grass. They may want to talk to you about the investigation because your computer may be part of it (someone may have used your info for the scam).

I remember reading a report where the FBI confiscated some guys Linux machine because it was being used (unknowingly) for an overseas scam. The guys used Linux to share their cable modem, but never even thought about security aspects of the box. Someone hacked it and was using it for a long time.

Just be honest, don't get scared and cooperate. If you didn't do it, you'll be fine. If they start pressing you, find a lawyer.

vash

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Huh did you ever stop to think your friend maybe pulling your leg? I mean does he joke around much? He could be lieing to you.

Jokeram

Golden Member
May 9, 2001

<< Huh did you ever stop to think your friend maybe pulling your leg? I mean does he joke around much? He could be lieing to you. >>

he said he spoke to the police.. wait for a call back from them before you decide to bail out..

Merkat

Banned
Dec 22, 2000
You're screwed dude. Once you're in the &quot;system&quot; it is tough to get out without a long &amp; costly fight. Hire a lawyer NOW.... don't wait to be arrested.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

<< I know this isn't a hot deal but yesterday my roommate told me that two police officers came to see me about magazine subscriptions under my name, but under other people's credit card information. They told my roommate that they Internet-traced the source of these subscriptions to my dorm room. I do not know how they traced it to my room, but I did not do anything illegal.

What do I do? Has this happened to anybody else? I talked to the police, but they said the case has not been assigned to anybody yet, so all I can do is wait for a detective to call me. Please help.
>>

are u sure your roomate is not playing with u

HawkeyeNJ

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2001
Sounds fishy. First thing they would have grabwas your PC ...mouse and all. They r giving u (if guilty) time 2 clean your or dump your HD??????
WTF ?

TranceNation

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2001

If I were you, I'd start deleting any warez or pirate stuff from your pc, they might confiscate it for evidence or something like that.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
If you did nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, then cooperate as much as possible and concentrate on finals. They're more important.

-geoff

AncientPC

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2001
On a side note, if they confiscated your computer and found other warez, etc. on your computer can they use that as evidence?

There's that law or something where police aren't allowed to search your rooms for anything unless it's described in the warrant. i.e. if they go to your house to arrest you, they don't have the right to dig through your drawers etc.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
if you're not in possession of the magazines, they only have circumstantial evidence, which may not be enough to even get a search warrant.