THE POLICE WANTED ME

geezer88

Feb 14, 2001
I know this isn't a hot deal but yesterday my roommate told me that two police officers came to see me about magazine subscriptions under my name, but under other people's credit card information. They told my roommate that they Internet-traced the source of these subscriptions to my dorm room. I do not know how they traced it to my room, but I did not do anything illegal.

What do I do? Has this happened to anybody else? I talked to the police, but they said the case has not been assigned to anybody yet, so all I can do is wait for a detective to call me. Please help.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Either you stole some credit cards or your roommate is out to get you. You better pack your bags.

Bob/NYC

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Tell them, you authorize a sting since the guilty party will pick them up. Only magazines, for the big time fraud case? They want something else... Leave the country and change your name. :-((

f1int7

Feb 25, 2000
Sell everything and move to another state. Oh yea and don't forget to have those magazines forwarded. :)

becat

Mar 7, 2000
Don't do any thing, you have nothing to be afraid of that is assuming you didn't do it. During this time gathering some information to be prepared if anything happenes you can call and have someone help you out.

Ramius

Feb 13, 2001
Next time they come say, "I'm with you, I'm with the government."
Let's vote on a Criminal Offense Case-Tracking forum.

SmarTpants

Banned
Mar 31, 2001
dam, i think u shud change the topic to the POLICE WANT ME. i would say that from their "internet trace", that really means nothing. Ask them what information they have on you, if its you ip, you're phuc*ed. unless theres a way to split the ip or something. best bet, id say go to ur resnet center and tell them the story. ask them if there had been any cross wiring on the network, or anything wrong with the connection to your room. mmm, im not sure what this might do, but check your history and your cookies, they might have some files that might be relevant. but daym. i dont like cops that show up at my dorm room at all. just pack ur bags and run (or beat the living sh*t out of your roommate) hehe.

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
What's important to you right now is finals. I'm in the same situation regarding finals. If I was in your situation, don't worry about the magazine subscriptions. If you did nothing, then just tell the truth and you should be alright.

As anyone knows, college dorms are easy targets. Doors are always left open and computers left on. Unless they know that it was you who did it, then they don't have real proof. Heck, there are 2 of you in the dorm as it is.

And, someone could have placed a trojan on your computer, connected to it while you were asleep, and ordered these things. Unless you have these magazines in your possession, f*ck them. Worry about your finals man.

beatinitup

Sep 22, 2000
geezer88: Here is some information that can help protect you. If they "internet traced you"(laugh) then ask for the MAC address. Someone probably used you as a bounce/proxy. Have someone scan your ports and see if you have wingate/socksfirewall running on your system. More than likely, someone used you as a bounce. If you need anyother further help let me know.

wabbiter

Nov 15, 1999
You know what they say ....

"Take the money and run"

Did your roommate also mention to you that the stench from your side of the room is becoming unbearable and that whatever you ate recently has been causing some MAJOR gas in the night? Added to the fact that you haven't returned his underwear . . .