The point of upgrading? Game Changer?

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
I am really having an issue with the whole new and constant release of new cpu's and technology overall. Like most others, I really "want" to upgrade. I don't NEED to upgrade but there is this and that which comes out, either from Intel or AMD, which softly suggest to me that I should upgrade.

The new X6 CPU's from AMD had me all in a state of panic. Soooo tempting for the price. I have my secondary computer that is still running an AMD X2 4800 with 4 GB or RAM. I don't need to upgrade it, God I certainly don't do anything with it which would require a 6 core CPU, but I would "love" to have it – just for the sake of playing with it, if that makes any sense.

My main system is a Q9550 on stock voltage running at 3400 MHZ, 8 GB or RAM and an ATI 4890 GPU – has been rock solid… best system I have ever had. Now.. if I were to upgrade, my options are limited to a sane decision... either an Intel 930 or possibly an Intel 870 and hoping that with a decent overclock it would be some sort of noticeable improvement over what I currently have.

In both cases I need new mobo, new RAM (DDR3) and of course the CPU – possibly a new HS/Fan. After working that out here in Canada I am looking at roughly $700+. For $700+ I can get 2 5870's or one 5970 and have coin to spare on maybe 2 packs or smokes or a 2-4. Even if I go X6 and get a new AM3 board, DDR3 RAM etc, I am still looking at roughly the same maybe a bit less.

I keep looking at the scores of these "newish" cpu's, i930, i870/i860, X6 and the increase in raw processing power is NOT as much as I wish it be over what I have – it’s not leaps and bounds over. Is anyone else a bit disappointed in this? I mean I love new tech, I live for new tech.... I am a poster child for new tech and have spent way too much money on what is the newest and best stuff out there, but I simply cannot justify any upgrade. If anything, the newish Intel i7 980x with a measurable overclock, is about the ONLY CPU that would provide any sort of measurable increase (6 cores, 12 threads), which I could put a stubby fat finger on. Too bad it costs a ridiculous amount for the average computer user like me.

My point is this... the Q9550 or Q9560 were such good CPU's, that I am finding hard to justify ANY upgrade for now -- as much as I want to... I really want to pull the trigger... I want to donate a kidney to Intel or AMD, Newegg and NCIX... honestly.

This reminds me of when Nvidia released their original GeForce 256. It was a GAME CHANGER over the current competition -- period. I see new releases of CPU's, new revisions etc, and it honestly does not motivate me to pimp out the GF, sell the comic books etc, like I did for the GeForce 256.

I am actually a bit disappointed. I WANT to spend my hard earned money... but honestly the only thing that had a true hold on me was the new batch of SSD’s – which I already upgraded to. Now THAT was an upgrade. Screw the CPU or the GPU. I want to see such a noticeable improvement in CPU’s and GPU’s. I want a game changer. So… what should I be hoping for?

mbevolution

Jun 16, 2006
my suggestion is wait another year or two until they release something that will make the current system go completely obsolete, and buy something else other than computer related stuff with your hard earned money ;)

i'm pretty excited for sandybridge / bulldozer release, looking forward to some major performance gains

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
The 'game changers' you referring to are few and far in-between. Most of the new processors and GPU's are an incremental upgrade at best when compared to your current system, although it really depends on the work you do with a computer. Save your $700 for future use or, buy an AMD or Apple's stock with that money, now that will be a game changer in your life.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I hear you bro. The x6 cpus are tempting because of their price but since all I do is game and watch movies, and my current rig can easily play any game.

Bulldozer may be interesting. Would love to crack 5Ghz on a quad core.

EnzoLT

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2005
no game change if the games being released are crappy console ports. ---sorry i had to do it.

yeah, recently, there just hasnt been a real game-changing must-have upgrade around. ive just been swapping my gpu for another gpu just to test out other gpu's and not get bored of the lack of any really promising hardware.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Unless you do a lot of encoding or 3d rendering, then I would stand pat with your Q9550. It's still a very powerful CPU. I cannot think of anything that it cannot do.

If you are into gaming, then the Thubans aren't much of an improvement. If anything, they benchmark worse in games than the Phenom II 965 chip does. (Probably something to do with cache per core ratios. Games love cache.)

Unless you're doing it for e-peen value, in which case definately get a 1090T and OC it to 4Ghz. :)

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
A 'game changer' CPU release is probably more dependant on the software of the day that you utilize the CPU for than the actual CPU. No point upgrading if your are going to use 2 threads all day. Until you identify the software that with a faster CPU will make your life better there is no need really. But then again, I upgrade usually because I love playing with new tech :D

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
It all depends on what you do. If you game then yeah, there hasn't been a game changer in a while because 90% of the PC games are crappy console ports. When the Ps4 comes out then we'll finally actually need a new computer for many of those games. That will again only last what, 2 years before mainstream $125 video cards can play those games fine?

If your business revolves around something that a new chip is even only 10% faster in... then that 10% could be well worth it for a few hundred bucks. And at least in the case of going from C2Q to I7 you save on power as well.

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
Danger! Danger! Upgrading your PC for no good reason can become an expensive, fun, and somewhat obsessive hobby. :D

If upgrading your hardware isn't something you'd embrace as a hobby, just buy what you need and forget about the latest and greatest. Personally I enjoy tinkering with my PC hardware almost as much as using it for gaming and other productive things. I go looking for things I can improve, whether I need it or not. The case panels are off almost as much as they're on. If that's something you enjoy as well, just try to keep to a predetermined budget for this hobby as you would with any other.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I totally understand you, i think most guys here feel the same way. What we have now is enough but then new tech is released and even if it's not a "game changing" one we still want it because... yeah because it's the fastest, newest out there.

If you see my sig, i have a Phenom II 940BE and it's a very fast system but i couldn't resist and i bought the i7 860 not even a year later. I'm happy with both and i would do it again but my wife still talks about it, she sees no reason for it but ask me if i care.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I suppose if you "flip" your hardware then at least selling last year's purchase can go some distance towards subsidizing this year's upgrade.

As for the "why upgrade" question...we are a consumer society. It is not really in our nature to maximize the amortization schedules of our leisure activities :p

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Buy yourself a nice air cooler and OC that Q9550 to 3.8 at least. Then buy two 5850s and OC them to 900 core :)

Dec 30, 2004
I suppose if you "flip" your hardware then at least selling last year's purchase can go some distance towards subsidizing this year's upgrade.

As for the "why upgrade" question...we are a consumer society. It is not really in our nature to maximize the amortization schedules of our leisure activities :p

psht think you can just come and go +/- 6 months and we won't care or notice...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
1055T
Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H ATX Socket AM3 890GX
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24

$550 CDN after Tax, Shipping, and Insurance

My current system has been running 24/7(1 week downtime/year) for 4..5 years. Time for an Upgrade before it packs it in.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
In some games (many MMOs) a good SSD is a "game changer". In WoW my Intel G2 purchase made more of a difference than upgrading my GPU.

Just sayin'.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
My big suggestion to folks like the OP, and other with great quads (Q6000s/Q9000s/PhII's in the 3ghz+ range), is that there is virtually no reason to change platforms and CPUs at this time, unless you encode all the time and just need somewhat faster encodes.

If you have $ and want something that will definitely give you some immediate fun-factor / wow-factor .. look at :

(1)- GPU upgrade if you're running something below 5800 series / 470 series AND you're a bigtime gamer.

(2)- Monitor upgrade if you're running 22" or below. 24", 25.5", and even the holy grail 30" all make a big difference, and if you don't need insane resolution you can even consider a 1080p LED LCD or Plasma TV (check the ratings to make sure the PC mode is fast enough) as your monitor. You can do dual-monitor on any respectable GPU, so you could keep your current monitor as well if you want.

(3)- Speakers, if you care about music or whatnot.

(4)- Beer? :)

EDIT : (5) ^^ The above poster mentioned SSD, and yes that's definitely noticeable as well. I recommend doing some real research before buying though, and consider all elements (price/performance/reliability). SSDs will only continue to improve and become more affordable, probably faster than any other system component at this time.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
(2)- Monitor upgrade if you're running 22" or below. 24", 25.5", and even the holy grail 30" all make a big difference, and if you don't need insane resolution you can even consider a 1080p LED LCD or Plasma TV (check the ratings to make sure the PC mode is fast enough) as your monitor. You can do dual-monitor on any respectable GPU, so you could keep your current monitor as well if you want.

This.

I game/internet/nef/watch tv/movies on a 52" DLP at my desk. It's wuuuuuuunderful

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
This.

I game/internet/nef/watch tv/movies on a 52" DLP at my desk. It's wuuuuuuunderful

I hope you're sitting 10 feet away, at the minimum :eek:

Heck, any of the latest processors are overkill for most people. Pick your poison.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
but honestly the only thing that had a true hold on me was the new batch of SSD’s – which I already upgraded to. Now THAT was an upgrade.

Quoted for truth.

In today's market the only non-universally embraced "game changing" update is a SSD. My freaking ION netbook with an SSD surfed the internet faster than my Q9550 rig with a HD. I have since put a SSD in that desktop (having my netbook be faster killed me).

Until Intel rolls out their new stuff in 2011 all my computer upgrade cash will go to putting SSDs in all my boxes, and once I do that I will try to upgrade to either better SSDs or a RAID 0 of SSDs.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Quoted for truth.

In today's market the only non-universally embraced "game changing" update is a SSD. My freaking ION netbook with an SSD surfed the internet faster than my Q9550 rig with a HD. I have since put a SSD in that desktop (having my netbook be faster killed me).

I agree, an SSD is a way better upgrade than a CPU now. Just think man you have a 9550 that's a faster CPU the most people have and I am sure it does everything fine. Just remember for games anything over 60 FPS is worthless ---- And the 4890 is gonna be a good for awhile as well. My Q6600 is fine -- I even have a new case and some DDR3 1600 waiting for the next build I just can't justify it yet.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
I probably won't upgrade until I find another game that maxes out my video card. The last good game I played was Oblivion, and my 4850 now can handle it at full graphics so I'm set.

Until then I'm catching up on my Xcom and Castles II, so new hardware isn't required. ;)

D

Deleted member 4644

There is more to life than CPUs.

GFX cards.

SSD (This upgrade happened last week, I now am confident that I can keep my current CPU for quite a while longer).

Speakers (just dropped $400 on them)

Headphones

Ipad

Phones

Women

--

I don't think we will ever seen upgrades similar to the old era when you went from 25mhz to 100 mhz to 300 mhz within a year or two or three. Those were shocking upgrades that enabled massively improved computer uses.

My first computer could hardly open a 640 x 480 color image. My next computer laughed at it.

Yea.. those were the days, but they are never coming back.

Last edited by a moderator: