The Philadelphia beating

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
I think that son of a b'itch got what he deserved. For those of you who have not heard about it. There is a video of about 12 Philadelphia police officers beating the crap out of a black man. There were black and white cops beating him up.

It appears this lovely gentleman (who will probably be a very wealthy man when he gets out of jail) resisted arrest, shot a policeman, stole a police car, and went on a high speed chase.

Too bad they didn't kill him. At least his family could probably make better use of the money.

jeremy806

May 10, 2000
No, it is a good thing that they didn't kill him. My personal belief is that murder is always wrong, including death penalty, abortion, etc.

However, the lesson here is: don't shoot at people unless you are ready to receive a serious beating or even death.

Jeremy

jeremy806

May 10, 2000
Before I get flamed, shooting a cop earns you a nice beating, I don't feel bad for the guy, at all.

Jeremy

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
Both the cops and the suspect should be punished. The cops are government employees. We can't have government sponsored beatings in this country no matter how dirty the suspect is. If you approve of government sposored beating upon it's own citizens, I suggest you look into moving to IRAQ.

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
He might've deserved it, but it was still wrong. Human, but wrong. The police have to be held to a higher standard of behavior because they're the representatives of our legal system. They can't hold court in the streets and make their own justice - no matter how much the person/people involved may deserve it. My dad was a policeman and I fully understand the frustration law enforcement personnel experience.... a man who set a police car on fire in front of our house blocking the ground floor exits and causing us to have to escape by jumping from the second story window walked because there wasn't enough evidence. Again, even if it's personal the system, flawed as it is, has to be relied on for justice. If policemen are allowed to make their own justice it might be YOU they decide "deserved it" next......

"I'll be judge and I'll be jury" said cunning old Fury,
"I'll try the whole cause and condemn you to death."

Lewis Carroll

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Yeah, I think the cops used more force then they should have. From what I've read, they fired 43 rounds of ammunition at him, and hit him 5 times. When they pulled him out of the stolen police cruiser he couldn't have been in good enough condition to struggle much.

I'm still waiting for an official report or something. Its hard to say what really happend.

Stosh - its a good thing he wasn't killed or Philadelphia would be awash in riots that would make Seattle look like a playground.

403 - I agree, we can't sponsor this sort of brutality

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
unxpurg, I will not get beaten by police officers, and most people will not either. The reason. I respect their authority. Also, I don't commit crimes. When I have been pulled over for speeding tickets, I say "YES SIR!" "NO SIR!" and "THANK YOU SIR!" There is just no respect for authority anymore.

Yeah, maybe they went too far, and should be disciplined, but that lowlife deserved to be beaten.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Notice that the Community where this happened are largely on the side of the Cops! Even the creaps girlfriend said he belonged in jail.

Yes, I think the Cops were wrong for the continued beating....but not wrong enough to ruin their careers which will be the result. They should have shot him a few more times.....

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Philadelphia Beating? Isn't that an Elton John song?

Philadelphia beating... I love... love... love you. Yes, I do!

Feb 10, 2000
I don't believe it is true that a person shot four times could not or would not resist the police. If anything he probably had a pretty good adrenaline flow going from the excitement of the firefight and multiple car thefts, and witnesses say he was continuing to kick and bite two cops at the bottom of the pile who were not apparent from the video, which was taken from overhead (obviously, since it was from a helicopter).

I think this incident is unfortunate, and I do not excuse the use of excessive force (though I think the jury is still out on whether that happened in this case). However, I frankly think that anyone who shoots at police, steals a police car and leads the cops on a high-speed chase is assuming a very substantial risk that he will get them so riled up that he will have the crap beaten out of him.

Police, regardless of their profession, are just human beings, and I feel it is more than understandable under the circumstances that they would find it tough to avoid whaling on this guy a bit once they tracked him down.

Rookie

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2000
I want to preface this by saying that I am not a violent person. That being said, I think this guy got EXACTLY what he deserved. The police department is here for us to serve and protect. Not to be used as targets for some worthless crackhead. I firmly believe it is a sad day when people are more angry over the fact that the guy was beat and not FURIOUS that the guy shot a COP! Someone who is trying to protect us. I can't believe that race even entered into this issue. There were cops of all colors, shapes, and sizes doing their job. :|

Then the fact that Good Morning America interviewed his family. BULLCRAP! We, American's, need to stand behind our police officers. They are here to protect us, not to be ridiculed by every group out there.

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Millions of people live their entire lives without ever being beaten by police officers. Hmmmm.... I wonder why this is? Well, I've come up with 3 easy steps how NOT to be beaten by police officers.

1. Do not shoot a firearm at police. (It tends to piss them off)

2. Do not commit crimes, (It really minimizes your contact with the police)

3. Regardless, whether or not you follow step 2, there is the possiblity that a police officer will want to arrest you. If this occurs, do not resist.

You know, I followed these steps, and I have NEVER been beaten a cop. It'll work for you!!! :)

This three step program is the intellectual property of STOSH, all rights reserved.

WUTANGYANG

Nov 4, 1999
I don't know about you, but I think that idiot deserved the beating. It's obvious that this guy is a danger to society. First of all, how many of us will do what this guy did? shooting and wounding an officer and trying to run another down ? (taken from CNN) Now, this guy obviously didn't give a $hit about anyone, he was willing to kill two officers (who could have families) so that he can get away w/ pety theft. Of course, all this shooting was in broad daylight, when people walk the streets. What if this guy accidentally shot some 8 year old? Plain and simple, all of us would want this guy beaten or worse, give the guy the death penalty. But the story goes on. Then this guy brings on a car chase in Philadelphia. First of all, the last time I check, Philadelphia is a big city, with a lot of people. A high speed chase like that could of killed innocent civilians. When the moron finally crashed the car, he tried to resisting arrest, by biting and kicking the officers. Now, you tell me again, how many of us do that? People say he's a minority and that's why he got the beating. I don't know, but I think if he was white, he would of gotten the same beating. I'm a minority myself, but I obey the laws. This guy is a criminal no doubt. Now, he's going to get millions of $$$ just because he got beat up. What about the other officers who were almost killed? Yea that's right, they're facing charges against them for using excessive force. Does anyone have any morals and decency?

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I agree with Stosh. When you play with fire expect to get burned. He should consider himself lucky he wasn't killed!!

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
Stosh,

While I think you make some valid points about how to to get beaten by cops, I still think it is possible to be totally innocent, yet get the crap beaten out of you.

Have you heard about the LAPD (Rampart division) scandal? In the past few months over 100 criminal convictions have been overturned because it was found that a group of cops basically framed a whole minority community. People were beaten to confess to crimes they did not commit and others were threatened with beatings if they did not testify falsly. And the many of the cops that did this were minorities too. So yes it is true, you can get beaten even if you follow the law.

Either way, I say it again IF YOU APPROVE OF GOVERNMENT SPOSORED BEATINGS UPON IT'S OWN CITIZENS, I SUGGEST YOU MOVE TO IRAQ.

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Let's not forget the other recent, similar incident with two white cops beating on a beligerent white drunk driver for resisting being place in hand-cuffs. As a cop, I can say that even a minor incident such as two kids in a fist fight gets the adrenaline rushing pretty good (BTW, why can't they bottle that stuff and sell it as a sports drink or something, adrenaline f*cking RULES!!!!). I agree whole heartedly with STOSH and his three step program. I have never had an inclination to pull over an innocent, pull them out of the car and take to kicking the $hit out of them with my &quot;police buddies&quot;. When you deal with the absolute worst people the world has to offer on a regular basis, there reaches a point where the anger and frustration boils over. Some people can control it, some can't. I remember going to a call where the husband beat the $hit out of his wife and took off. What really angered me was when I entered the house to the smell of a freshly cooked, hot meal, his work uniforms on the ironing board with the iron still on and a perfectly clean house. When his daughter of about 3-4 years old approached me with tears in her eyes wanting me to explain why daddy hurt mommy, there is no doubt that had the guy been there, he may have &quot;resisted&quot;. Those things tear your heart out, throw it on the floor and mash it into pulp. I consider myself a person of high moral value but there are times when things boil over and can no longer be controlled. I think it is safe to say that it doesn't boil over on the wrong people (ie.-innocents).

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Although I would agree that cops should be held to higher standard of behavior there is something to consider here. What if someone came to your work, shot one of your coworkers, tried to run another over and then stole your computer?

This guy shot a cop, tried to run another over with a cop car, stole multiple vehicles and then kicked and bit when they finally pulled him from the car. If I ever did something like that I would expect to get the crap kicked out of me by the cops. You MUST have respect for law enforcment. If I was the chief of police I would reprimand the officers involved with no monetary or other penalties.

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
403, I am not saying that there aren't abusive cops. Of course there are. I'm sure there are a certain percentage of police that are slime. If you notice, the bad cops in L.A. are being prosecuted. Which I guess makes them criminals.

I DO NOT advocate police beating people. Maybe I just understand it.

The problem with our society is that nobody gives a crap what the criminal did. They don't seem to be very upset that he tried to KILL police officers, but boy they sure get real upset with the police. Now I wonder if the cops should sue this thug for him attempting to kill them. I bet he doesn't have a dime to his name. But the city of Philadephia sure does.

Cops are human too, they make mistakes like what happened in NYC. Most cops are hard working decent people.

BTW, F'UCK YOU. I'm an American, you go to IRAQ, A'SSHOLE!

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
People these days are so afraid of authority. Yes the police should be held to higher standards...Higher standards towards them. Without them the fundementals of society will crumble. Having them stand back and take crap from criminals is not allowing them to do their job. Why do you think criminals have no respect for police?? Because they know that no matter what they do, the police get more illuminated under a microscope. Now i bet Reverend Sharpton will demonstrate in Philly somewhere of how this black man was done wrong, knowing full well that the same black man had no qualms about taking the lives of others who try to protect us all.

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000

<< BTW, F'UCK YOU. I'm an American, you go to IRAQ, A'SSHOLE![/b]

Why you getting all angry at me for Stosh? I said IF you approve of governemnt sposored beatings, then move to IRAQ. You obviously don't, so that statement doesn'y apply to you.

But you &quot;understand&quot; the beatings. I &quot;understand&quot; how those cops could do it too. But that doesn't mean the cops should just be slapped on the wrist.

Analogy:
If I had a daughter, and she was raped, I would go torture and kill the rapist. I would hope you all &quot;understood&quot; my actions. But also, I would not expect to get slapped on the wrist. I would take whatever punishment I deserved for breaking the law. Similarly, the cops in Philadelphia should get punished accordingly as well as the suspect.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
That asshole is lucky he got out of the situation alive. The police did their job proberly, they stopped the suspect. They also did their job as human beings, they lashed back when attacked. Don't let the media fool you, its not about racism or human rights when your life is on the line. Its sending a message of owing them respect!!!..Which we all do owe BTW