The Pew Pew Thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It doesn't matter why? I have to assume it doesn't if you don't know why. Otherwise, it changes everything. And I suppose 'any attempt' would mean any attempt you know of.

Your reasoning goes something like this. We are passive non-violent creatures because we don't eat our children.
It doesn't matter why because the why is an individual problem. I can help any given individual stop violence in a specific situation, but there is no way to do that across 300 million people.
When you start to look at it on a societal level the why stops mattering. So what if we are all insane, or if 10 million of us are, or any given large number. I can't fix that. Nor can any of your ideas.
Your entire answer to violence seems to be 'just don't do that'. Well, people have been saying that basically forever. If that was going to work, it would have already.
Teaching people to 'just all get along' is not going to work, because as soon as it does start to work someone else learns that 'punch you in the face' gets them what they want. Then we are back to square one.
So when wishful thinking fails we are left with practical solutions. Those include accepting that violence is going to happen and reducing the damage violence can cause.
Absentness has never worked. We are emotional creatures. We are going to fuck. We are going to fight. You can't change human nature.

Reactions: blackangst1

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It doesn't matter why because the why is an individual problem. I can help any given individual stop violence in a specific situation, but there is no way to do that across 300 million people.
When you start to look at it on a societal level the why stops mattering. So what if we are all insane, or if 10 million of us are, or any given large number. I can't fix that. Nor can any of your ideas.
Your entire answer to violence seems to be 'just don't do that'. Well, people have been saying that basically forever. If that was going to work, it would have already.
Teaching people to 'just all get along' is not going to work, because as soon as it does start to work someone else learns that 'punch you in the face' gets them what they want. Then we are back to square one.
So when wishful thinking fails we are left with practical solutions. Those include accepting that violence is going to happen and reducing the damage violence can cause.
Absentness has never worked. We are emotional creatures. We are going to fuck. We are going to fight. You can't change human nature.
Yes, yes, I know, We can't change human nature. We will always be peaceful creatures because we don't eat our children. You remind me of the story of the man throwing starfish back into the sea after a storm had washed them on shore and was told by a realist he made no difference because there were millions more. What you call human nature is what you see, the study of man asleep to reality. The problem is that for you to have any other view than the one you do would mean facing your own insanity, consciously aware of the worlds deeply hidden misery. You prefer to tinker instead of fix because you can see no other way. I don't blame you. So when vision fails we are left with useless solutions we pursue in the hope that the answer to madness is more insanity.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Nov 17, 2019
Reactions: hal2kilo
Nov 17, 2019
Hey, mebbe the dog shudda' had a gun, right Greg?

Texas man, 70, fatally shoots neighbor after dog runs into his yard, officials say

www.nbcnews.com.ico
NBC News|54 minutes ago
After the shooting, witnesses said Eric Lee Elliott put his gun in his truck and continued doing yardwork as if nothing had happened, according to the Liberty County Sheriff's Office.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I kinda think we need better background checks, better mental health services, but also more guns. I live in California, and while we have some good things going, I think some of our gun restrictions have gone too far.

Mar 11, 2004

Gun deaths more prevalent the motor vehicle? Sounds like freedom to me!

Seems like the more data comes, the more it shows how the over-prevalence in America is causing us to sacrifice our kids at the altar of guns.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Seems like the more data comes, the more it shows how the over-prevalence in America is causing us to sacrifice our kids at the altar of guns.
The alter you speak of is the alter of the right of self defense, a right that is fundamental to life itself. What you fail to consider is that what guns are being misappropriated for instead is the confusion between protecting one's personal being from protecting ones phony sense of ego. It is the lack of attainment on the part of millions to achieve any real self respect that drives people to violence to achieve some culturally worshiped alternative. Gun violence goes hand in hand with the feeling one isn't getting the attention, admiration and love one feels one deserves, some form of social status that makes one appear to be acceptable. You display that in spades when you run everybody down who disagrees with you. All you need to do is project to worry about being shot by a gun.

Guns themselves are not the problem. It is the pathetic mentality our culture produces in its people as our alter that sacrifices our children. The drive to use force to reduce gun numbers is just more of the same mentality. "I have a right to protect my ego from the fear of being shot."

In this way liberals will continue to drive pragmatic people who understand the right of self devense over to the conservative side of politics while doing nothing at all to address the real issues.

Imagine a world where children grow up with a sense of the their personal value to the people is society, where everything is designed to promote human dignity. I think the interest in guns would simply be recreational and their numbers would fall precipitiously without any legislation. Only progressives can lead in that. Let's hope progressives can focus more on issues that don't make them look like nut cases to people with a broader range of moral concerns.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Incorrect, it's at the altar of gun fetish, that's it.

The right to self defense doesn't exempt us from common sense safety measures and appropriate penalties, yet that's not a thing in most states.
I do not have an issue with rational gun laws that try to limit access to guns from people obviously unfit to own them responsibly. My issue is with do-gooders trying to prevent responsible people from owning them. I recognize that as a society we are far far to psychologically unsophisticated to abandon our reliance on punishment as a legal condition for law breakers. I mush prefer that we do what it takes to help our culture evolve so that few people grow up hating live because they hate themselves. At our current level of ignorance as a culture the urge to violence will not decrease. It will get worse and worse instead.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I do not have an issue with rational gun laws that try to limit access to guns from people obviously unfit to own them responsibly. My issue is with do-gooders trying to prevent responsible people from owning them. I recognize that as a society we are far far to psychologically unsophisticated to abandon our reliance on punishment as a legal condition for law breakers. I mush prefer that we do what it takes to help our culture evolve so that few people grow up hating live because they hate themselves. At our current level of ignorance as a culture the urge to violence will not decrease. It will get worse and worse instead.

I recommend reading the article I linked

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I recommend reading the article I linked
What I read sounded to me like an opinion piece founded on faulty logic. The contention that deaths by accident or intent of young people are unnecessary would be the same as saying that deaths by automobile are unnecessary too. The answer is to eliminate guns and cars. Its still also about eliminating an instrument rather than dealing with the origin of violent or careless behavior typical in anti-gun culture. This is the kind of cultural ignorance that turn people off to liberals, in my opinion.

The causes of violence in our society are also unnecessary but nobody is doing anything there.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This last weekend or the one before was a big weekend of mass shootings, barely made a blip in the news compared to other things going on.

The gun nuts have created their utopia, this is the kind of indifference they wanted to create in order for their to be no threat to their fetishization of guns. They all have blood on their hands.

Reactions: hal2kilo

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
This last weekend or the one before was a big weekend of mass shootings, barely made a blip in the news compared to other things going on.

The gun nuts have created their utopia, this is the kind of indifference they wanted to create in order for their to be no threat to their fetishization of guns. They all have blood on their hands.

The same people are "pro-lifers", but really just pro-birthers and thats mostly related to controlling women.

Mar 11, 2004
Incorrect, it's at the altar of gun fetish, that's it.

The right to self defense doesn't exempt us from common sense safety measures and appropriate penalties, yet that's not a thing in most states.

Not sure what self defense has to do with it? I mean, sure that's what chickenshit gun fuckers claim because they're constantly scared out of their minds about things that aren't even real.

Plus, I mean, sure if you ignore that guns are actually far more likely to be used to harm someone than in self-defense (aka, the best "self defense" with regards to guns are for them to not be available/around). But I mean you'd kinda have to be a moron that deliberately ignores the ever mounting evidence showing that. Being that stupid might lead you to try to claim horse dewormer was a legitimate COVID treatment though, so you'd have to be REALLY goddamn stupid to be saying that.

The same people are "pro-lifers", but really just pro-birthers and thats mostly related to controlling women.

They're not even pro-birthers as many of them would abort a baby if it in any way just inconvenienced them. They just want to force others to be as miserable as they are.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not sure what self defense has to do with it? I mean, sure that's what chickenshit gun fuckers claim because they're constantly scared out of their minds about things that aren't even real.

Plus, I mean, sure if you ignore that guns are actually far more likely to be used to harm someone than in self-defense (aka, the best "self defense" with regards to guns are for them to not be available/around). But I mean you'd kinda have to be a moron that deliberately ignores the ever mounting evidence showing that. Being that stupid might lead you to try to claim horse dewormer was a legitimate COVID treatment though, so you'd have to be REALLY goddamn stupid to be saying that.

They're not even pro-birthers as many of them would abort a baby if it in any way just inconvenienced them. They just want to force others to be as miserable as they are.

both valid points, re: self defense, I was just replying to moonbeam who invoked that as some sorta catch all for what the numbers say

Last edited: