The person backed into my car in a parking lot now refuses to file a claim

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
the woman asked me to settle outside since their deductable was $2k. She looked like a nice lady so i agreed.

Haha. I didn't need to read past this. Noob.

1. Get their name, license plate, and insurance.
2. Call your insurance.
3. Done.

obamanation

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
$750 does not go far in body work for most cars today. Hell a bump in a bumper can eat $1000 easy on many cars today, even low speed.
You can thank Reagan for that what with his repeal of Jimmy Carter's 5mph bumper standard. Reagan repealed the 5mph bumper standard in 1982 and replaced it with a 2.5mph bumper standard that allowed for unlimited cost in damage to cars.. I.e. folding aluminum opposed to shock absorbing bumpers like the old standard had.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
You can thank Reagan for that what with his repeal of Jimmy Carter's 5mph bumper standard. Reagan repealed the 5mph bumper standard in 1982 and replaced it with a 2.5mph bumper standard that allowed for unlimited cost in damage to cars.. I.e. folding aluminum opposed to shock absorbing bumpers like the old standard had.

done with smoke and mirrors..."that bumper has to be supported (more cost), has to be carried (more gas/cost), etc...

Insurance hates this, but now can just drop you. Body shops and manufacturing love it.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
No it doesn't.

Just plug the damage into pathways or other estimating software. The averages aren't even close to those numbers.

My brother's heated side mirror cost that much to fix when a deer hit it last year and broke it off.
That was the insurance estimate.
The insurance agent came with his laptop and used whatever estimating software it is that they use.

A scratch from a fender bender bumper kiss during stop and go traffic 4 years ago cost ~$525 per insurance estimate.
Of course I didn't waste money fixing it because I had a $250 deductible and it was just a few scratches that barely even peeled the paint.
That was also the day I stopped letting family members use my vehicle.