The perfect number of bananas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Buy a 3 piece semi-green bunch and then check the loose bin for the more yellow ones. Good for 5 or 6 days.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Your slices are uneven. C+ for effort.

As for the OP - I suggest buying bananas in a spectrum of ripeness. Visit several stores if necessary.

LOL. There's actually an AT member named "Banana" posting in a thread on bananas. A member I have never seen post. Been here since 2001, eh? Wow. GO BANANA!

Reactions: Crono

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I usually buy 5. Most of the times, eat with ice cream.

No. 6 of ripeness for me.

2d628f61704bd77bdc159a54b555928b.jpg

Good chart. I'd take a #7 banana over all of those.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Good chart. I'd take a #7 banana over all of those.
#7 is the tastiest and have the best texture by far in my opinion (even if you include #8 and above). But the chart is not a good chart. It ignores benefits of green bananas such as resistant starches.

Studies show that resistant starches have a small benefit to body weight if you are overweight. They also help with lean body mass. But their real benefit is with insulin. Resistant starches help with insulin sensitivity/lower risk of diabetes and thus lower diabetes-linked problems such as heart disease and cancer.

Green bananas are high in resistant starches. But as they ripen, the resistant starches are turned into sugars. So the green bananas turn from foods that prevent diabetes to foods that might help cause it as they yellow.

Reactions: Banana

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
#7 is the tastiest and have the best texture by far in my opinion (even if you include #8 and above). But the chart is not a good chart. It ignores benefits of green bananas such as resistant starches.

Studies show that resistant starches have a small benefit to body weight if you are overweight. They also help with lean body mass. But their real benefit is with insulin. Resistant starches help with insulin sensitivity/lower risk of diabetes and thus lower diabetes-linked problems such as heart disease and cancer.

Green bananas are high in resistant starches. But as they ripen, the resistant starches are turned into sugars. So the green bananas turn from foods that prevent diabetes to foods that might help cause it as they yellow.

I freeze down #1 bananas for more important uses like banana pudding or banana bread. I've actually come to prefer green bananas for eating, in recent years, even though they are a bit more bitter.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I'm pretty sure looking at that chart that 1-2-3 are a different fruit and not even a banana. I buy mine at 4+ and only eat them once they are 7, maybe 6 if I'm desperate. I typically buy a bunch of 5 and then give them a week (7 days) to ripen and eat them the week after.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I eat 2 a day when I remember to bring them to work. My son has 1 or 2 a day, my wife one a day, .. We buy a few pounds at a time. It takes a good 4-5 days for bananas to go from "greenish around the edges" to "ready for banana bread" ripe.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I'm pretty sure looking at that chart that 1-2-3 are a different fruit and not even a banana.

The most striking about that chart is that whoever put it together didn't even have the patience to use a single banana and photograph it while it ripened over the course of a week.

Last edited: