The people of America just helped Disney set a record for its live action movie adaptations

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Mentally healthy enough? Or mentally healthy,? Pretty sure you missed a comma after the Clearly as well. Or maybe we can skip this part and go back to the subject, yes?
No, let's not skip it. You seem to be having a problem acknowledging your grammar was bad. Do you see your mistake? 'Clearly' didn't need a comma after it and I left out 'enough' but that is typical of people who hate themselves to criticize others for something and turn around the next minute and make some similar mistake. I failed to proof read. What is your excuse. Is it that you are ignorant of proper grammar? What mistake did you make and why? No need to hate yourself about things you aren't very good at or have failed to properly execute, right?

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Mentally healthy enough? Or mentally healthy,? Pretty sure you missed a comma after the Clearly as well. Or maybe we can skip this part and go back to the subject, yes?
Just for the sake of clarity let me add that I suggested that we all hate ourselves which you challenged including a grammatical mistake which if deflected when pointed out would suggest would be false pride and an inability to admit to error. That has already happened and is now water under the bridge. Your only way our of my point now is to suggest that my argument that a self hater would deflect isn't diagnostic as I suggest it is.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Because I don't care enough about grammar on an online forum where the intent of the message is more important than the delivery. Let he who was confused by my grammar speak up, and I'll clarify my intent to them.
Instead of that, since your intention was obvious, why not correct your grammatical mistake since I have asked you to. That will demonstrate that you perhaps simply didn't care, or you grammar is bad naturally as it appeared to be. You can clear this all up by fixing your mistake without help.

PS: Not caring isn't an attitude I generally associate with people who regard themselves highly.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Instead of that, since your intention was obvious, why not correct your grammatical mistake since I have asked you to. That will demonstrate that you perhaps simply didn't care, or you grammar is bad naturally as it appeared to be. You can clear this all up by fixing your mistake without help.
Maybe I think the grammar is better that way (languages are alive after all). Maybe I'm just doing it to piss you off at this point. Why do you care so much? Why is it so easy to rile you up? Why do you take criticism so poorly?

Reactions: nakedfrog

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Maybe I think the grammar is better that way (languages are alive after all). Maybe I'm just doing it to piss you off at this point. Why do you care so much? Why is it so easy to rile you up? Why do you take criticism so poorly?
Oh, that's great.

My theory would be that I take criticism poorly when I actually do take it poorly because I hate myself and can't handle anything that would imply any flaws least they lead into the wider reality that I feel like the worst person in the world. And so naturally I am going to be filled with rage if you try to push me to that concession. Clearly that is why I care so much. You are making me notice I feel bad about myself and so I head straight into denial. But fortunately, of course for me and not for you, I don't hate myself so none of what I just said can possibly be true of me.

And I am sure you can see where I am going with this in my obvious next move: Maybe I'm just doing it to piss you off at this point. Why do you care so much? Why is it so easy to rile you up? Why do you take criticism so poorly? Yup, you hate yourself.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
And I am sure you can see where I am going with this in my obvious next move: Maybe I'm just doing it to piss you off at this point. Why do you care so much? Why is it so easy to rile you up? Why do you take criticism so poorly? Yup, you hate yourself.
Another bold assumption, which was the source of my first post in this interaction. You make a lot of assumptions, most of which are wrong, about both yourself and others. You think you know a lot more than you do and it blinds you to truths all around you.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Another bold assumption, which was the source of my first post in this interaction. You make a lot of assumptions, most of which are wrong, about both yourself and others. You think you know a lot more than you do and it blinds you to truths all around you.
The assumption I made was that you wouldn't fix your grammatical mistake even after a struggle to get you to do so. How good was my assumption? All around the mulberry bush, Moonbeam chased the weasel.......

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is a little more complicated than that. First off there is the long history of white people playing POCs for the sake of mockery. That must be taken into account when you think about why white people playing POC. Second, there is a need for representation by POC's. Representation is very important, and POCs are still very under represented in media, with POCs still showing up more often as a villain than a hero, or as a token character with no real arc or development.

Everything being equal what you said would be right, but things are not equal. POC's still lack representation in media. There are very few POC writers to write POCs in authentic ways, so most of the time when you see a POC on screen they are still saying the words and thoughts of a white man.

We are still working on fixing the mistakes of our past. It is going to take another generation or two to really get to a point where it no longer matters.

I agree with you on all this, however I believe we need to take into consideration some of the criticism without kneejerking to accusations of racism. Not to say that the anti-woke crowd isn't racist (because a good number of them definitely are). But we should be sympathetic to legitimate concerns of POC actors playing white roles, especially of real-life white persons, just as we are legitimately concerned about white actors taking POC roles. We're not going to get justice for the past if we don't act fairly today.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Not sure if this is the right thread, but Andor is a fucking home run! Great job Tony Gilroy and Diego Luna! Well done, Disney. You may keep my monthly subscription fees. I almost cancelled after Thor Love and Thunder.

Totally agreed on Andor. The political commentary of a declining empire, collapsing under the weight of its own corruption, is subtle and genius. Could do a whole thread on this.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
But we should be sympathetic to legitimate concerns of POC actors playing white roles, especially of real-life white persons, just as we are legitimately concerned about white actors taking POC roles. We're not going to get justice for the past if we don't act fairly today.

I agree mostly, when portraying a real person it is usually best to keep the race of that person the same as it was in real life.
But at the same time I can see that not all 'real-life' persons are really being portrayed as the real-life versions of themselves. There is a kind of weird place in storytelling where real people are fantasized into something more resembling a fictional character then anything based on reality. The musical Hamilton falls well into this category. The show is talking about the lives and actions of real people, but the characters are so far from who they were in real like (while still talking about real events that they took part in) that it is fully fictional characters being portrayed. In that sort of situation I see no problem with them being any race (or gender for that matter), as long as it works for the story being told.