The people of America just helped Disney set a record for its live action movie adaptations

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
What I wrote about it was only that it should be remembered that it is not actually a fair representation of Chinese cuisine. Do that and there is no problems with it.
I mean, this is true pretty much everywhere. There is a funny YouTube video looking at hotdogs around the world, all claiming to be an "American Hot Dog."

Even McDonald's are different in other countries. Food will always be adjusted for local tastes. But I agree if you go to China and start demanding a fortune cookie and General Tso chicken, you're an asshole.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
WTF do you think misappropriation means? "The term “misappropriation” refers to the stealing of something, usually money, that was not meant for the thief, but which he used for his own personal gain."

Not calling Chinese-American food Chinese is kind of insulting to the Chinese people that developed it IMO. Chinese food is ridiculously complex and varied. Most "real" Chinese places in the US are anything but, they are a mismash of MANY styles stuffed into one menu. Hardly find things like that in China.
I recreated an American Chinese beef with broccoli recipe that was created by the son of Chinese immigrants who started a Chinese takeout place, and a little inspiration from J Kenji Lopez Alt. It was the best beef with broccoli I've ever had and certainly was not a super simple dish, nor was it very complex. But who even cares whether it is or not. It's a developed recipe with thought put into it and it tastes delicious. And kudos to the Chinese immigrants who came up with this stuff.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The Irish also have a history of kilt wearing, and also LOL. I think maybe "don't wear a clan tartan unless you're of that clan" is a more accurate directive. I wear kilts a lot, and I'm not Scottish, but none of them have a tartan either.

I'm genetically Scottish AND Irish but I wouldn't wear a kilt in public if you paid me! (or at least it would have to be a LOT!)

;)

So it's wrong for white people to support Chinese-american owned businesses by buying food/clothing designed and created by first generation Chinese-americans. Meanwhile "American" food is sold all over the world. American clothing and copies of American clothing is also sold all over the world. How about knock off America TV and movies? It's it okay for the Chinese to be appropriating our culture?

Cultures blend and change, Italy has taken back Americanized "Italian" food, so has Korea and China. Mexico has stolen Texan food. Barbecue is sold all over the world (mostly in shitty forms), stolen from the slaves of America. If you are doing it to be insulting are stereotyping, yeah that's an issue, if you like food the first generation immigrant is selling, good.

Everywhere I go I see people ripping off American culture, which is great, but then Americans are told we better not enjoy anyone else culture. Screw all the first generation immigrants cultural appropriation supports.

Give this man a cigar! :D

Context DOES matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Not sure if this is the right thread, but Andor is a fucking home run! Great job Tony Gilroy and Diego Luna! Well done, Disney. You may keep my monthly subscription fees. I almost cancelled after Thor Love and Thunder.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Not sure if this is the right thread, but Andor is a fucking home run! Great job Tony Gilroy and Diego Luna! Well done, Disney. You may keep my monthly subscription fees. I almost cancelled after Thor Love and Thunder.

WHAAAAT?

The series definitely had a bonehead writer. How the hell does a young Cassian Andor get separated from his tribe when he's all by his lonesome inside the fallen Imperial shuttle? How did he get separated?

Because we know he lagged behind a lot and was curious. But to just slip away while his tribe is carrying back a wounded member?

And the crux of the preview. It was all about "the Box," right? Then why did Andor walk away from his pilfered prize and find himself unable to retrieve it when he and Luthen Raeel came under attack?

Seems kinda dumb.

A little logic would help.

( We might get scolded for going off-topic )

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
WHAAAAT?

The series definitely had a bonehead writer. How the hell does a young Cassian Andor get separated from his tribe when he's all by his lonesome inside the fallen Imperial shuttle? How did he get separated?

Because we know he lagged behind a lot and was curious. But to just slip away while his tribe is carrying back a wounded member?

And the crux of the preview. It was all about "the Box," right? Then why did Andor walk away from his pilfered prize and find himself unable to retrieve it when he and Luthen Raeel came under attack?

Seems kinda dumb.

A little logic would help.

( We might get scolded for going off-topic )

I just saw the whole thing about the box as Gilroy taking a dig at previous Star Wars installments (I.e. Episode 9) where the entire plot hinged on a stupid macguffin. Andor is what the buyer was after—not the box.

Also, they explain the separation—he was always lagging behind and as one of the youngest, most of the other kids didn’t want him coming along to the crash site anyway. When the leader gets shot, the others are way more interested in carrying her back vs. worrying about “Cassa”.

Reactions: Lezunto

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
A better explanation and it makes sense.

Still dangerous, but I imagine Luthen Raeel could not send a "hello" text.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What do you think about a Hispanic actress playing Marilyn Monroe? This personally does not bother me (Ana de Armas is scorching hot and is purportedly good in the role) but it does seem to violate the rules of "cultural appropriation."
I have to agree with you on this (including about Ana de Armas). I too personally don't care about the skin color or heritage of the actors cast in any role, but many do. A lot. And playing by those rules, if it is wrong for a white actor to be cast in a POC role, then the opposite should be true as well.
However, now that the issue of minorities being cast in Hollywood is largely a thing of the past, it would be nice IMO if we just cast the best actor for the role regardless.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
And playing by those rules, if it is wrong for a white actor to be cast in a POC role, then the opposite should be true as well.
It is a little more complicated than that. First off there is the long history of white people playing POCs for the sake of mockery. That must be taken into account when you think about why white people playing POC. Second, there is a need for representation by POC's. Representation is very important, and POCs are still very under represented in media, with POCs still showing up more often as a villain than a hero, or as a token character with no real arc or development.

Everything being equal what you said would be right, but things are not equal. POC's still lack representation in media. There are very few POC writers to write POCs in authentic ways, so most of the time when you see a POC on screen they are still saying the words and thoughts of a white man.

We are still working on fixing the mistakes of our past. It is going to take another generation or two to really get to a point where it no longer matters.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid to assign human races to non human fictional beings? As far as I know, mermaids are not human. They are about as human as dragons, large talking mice, and billionaire ducks.

I mean what race is Ursula the villain in little mermaid? She's bloody purple.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hmmm, I can get with that Sunburn74. But don't you dare insult the notion of Optimus Prime and the Autobots? LOL

( My son's favorite childhood cartoon. )

Attachments

• Optimus Prime toy.jpg
    Optimus Prime toy.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: TheVrolok

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I highly recommend the Netflix documentary ' this changes everything', produced by geena Davis and has interviews with Meryl Streep, Jessica Chastain, Reese Witherspoon, and many more actresses, about how freaking sexist Hollywood has been and still is. The amount of shit they hav and have to deal with.

We live in a very white male dominated society by far. Which to me as a white man, and straight, just doesn't get why all these guys are so fragile. White fragility is a huge problem in this country.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It is a little more complicated than that. First off there is the long history of white people playing POCs for the sake of mockery. That must be taken into account when you think about why white people playing POC. Second, there is a need for representation by POC's. Representation is very important, and POCs are still very under represented in media, with POCs still showing up more often as a villain than a hero, or as a token character with no real arc or development.

Everything being equal what you said would be right, but things are not equal. POC's still lack representation in media. There are very few POC writers to write POCs in authentic ways, so most of the time when you see a POC on screen they are still saying the words and thoughts of a white man.

We are still working on fixing the mistakes of our past. It is going to take another generation or two to really get to a point where it no longer matters.
How do you feel when white people at Disney cast a brown woman from India to play the part of a brown woman from the Middle East?

I personally found that wrong, like saying all brown people are the same.

Reactions: Captante

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid to assign human races to non human fictional beings? As far as I know, mermaids are not human. They are about as human as dragons, large talking mice, and billionaire ducks.

I mean what race is Ursula the villain in little mermaid? She's bloody purple.
Mermaids are half human... And the little mermaid becomes fully human in the movie.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
And those Chinese immigrants used their restaurants to get around very racist immigration laws and have grown it to massive scale helping countless first generation immigrates. There are more take out 'Chinese' restaurants in the US than all McD, Subways, and Burger Kings put together.

The fortune cookie was also invented in the US, by Chinese immigrants.
Japanese immigrants.

Fortune Cookie History (thespruceeats.com)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I recreated an American Chinese beef with broccoli recipe that was created by the son of Chinese immigrants who started a Chinese takeout place, and a little inspiration from J Kenji Lopez Alt. It was the best beef with broccoli I've ever had and certainly was not a super simple dish, nor was it very complex. But who even cares whether it is or not. It's a developed recipe with thought put into it and it tastes delicious. And kudos to the Chinese immigrants who came up with this stuff.

Pretty sure beef stir fried with broccoli is an actual Chinese dish. But the one you see in North America is adjusted since it wasn't possible to get Chinese Broccoli at the beginning of Chinese immigrantion. It was a substitution of ingredients.

Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Pretty sure beef stir fried with broccoli is an actual Chinese dish. But the one you see in North America is adjusted since it wasn't possible to get Chinese Broccoli at the beginning of Chinese immigrantion. It was a substitution of ingredients.

That's very very similar to what I made, but they stressed using Chinese cooking wine, I think it's called like Shao Xing or something. I have some. It's like a light brown hue.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's very very similar to what I made, but they stressed using Chinese cooking wine, I think it's called like Shao Xing or something. I have some. It's like a light brown hue.

Shao Xing is a variant of a rice wine from Shao Xing. Used a lot in cooking. I tend to just use the clear rice wine for all cooking.

I do a Taiwanese version where I put in Taiwanese bbq sauce that I guess came from Malaysia satay sauce. Sirved over steamed rice.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I highly recommend the Netflix documentary ' this changes everything', produced by geena Davis and has interviews with Meryl Streep, Jessica Chastain, Reese Witherspoon, and many more actresses, about how freaking sexist Hollywood has been and still is. The amount of shit they hav and have to deal with.

We live in a very white male dominated society by far. Which to me as a white man, and straight, just doesn't get why all these guys are so fragile. White fragility is a huge problem in this country.
May I suggest the reason that white men as a subset of all people suffer the same disease. Everybody hates themselves and the coping mechanism for that disease is ego, which, owing to the fact that it is a coping mechanism based on delusional self flattery must of its very nature be fragile. See the problem? You asked a question to which you didn't want to know the answer.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Shao Xing is a variant of a rice wine from Shao Xing. Used a lot in cooking. I tend to just use the clear rice wine for all cooking.

I do a Taiwanese version where I put in Taiwanese bbq sauce that I guess came from Malaysia satay sauce. Sirved over steamed rice.
I use Shao Xing wine, light soy sause, cornstarch, to marinade beef chicken and pork for stir fry. I particularly like beef chow fan with black bean sauce and fermented black beans. Just got a blow torch I am anxious to try to see if it can create some Wok Hei on an electric stove.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Wide brush. Not all white men hate themselves, and don't assume that I secretly hate myself or are a closet narcissist because I reject the label.
You are free to do as you wish. Clearly you are mentally healthy to take in the fact that your grammar is bad.