The people of America just helped Disney set a record for its live action movie adaptations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What do you think about a Hispanic actress playing Marilyn Monroe? This personally does not bother me (Ana de Armas is scorching hot and is purportedly good in the role) but it does seem to violate the rules of "cultural appropriation."
I am annoyed that cultural appropriation is now somehow bad. Cultures stealing things from each other is a good thing!!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I just wish that some geneticist would invent a pill you could take that would greatly darken light skin so that so called white people could take one and get over their envy of how much better looking so called black people look all dressed up.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Remember all the wailing when they cast Idris Elba as Heimdall? I guess it's just louder now because it's Disney and the MCU was still getting off the ground at that point.
I'm active in a few Disney forums, because I like the parks, but there has been a ton of hate over this decision from day one. I'm sure it's worse with the GOP's current attacks on Disney. And I'm sure it's worse again because they are making the whitest princess black.
Whiter than Snow White?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Remember all the wailing when they cast Idris Elba as Heimdall? I guess it's just louder now because it's Disney and the MCU was still getting off the ground at that point.

Whiter than Snow White?
Snow White had black hair. Ariel is a redhead. At least in my experience people with red hair are about as white as they come. And as someone else posted, hard to get a tan under the sea ;).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Snow White had black hair. Ariel is a redhead. At least in my experience people with red hair are about as white as they come. And as someone else posted, hard to get a tan under the sea ;).
Snow White. Snow White.

giphy.gif

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Can we actually call out the real problem here? I'd like to see a Venn Diagram of *all movies produced* + sequels or remakes + owned by Disney.

There's absolutely minimal new or unique content at this point and it's mostly just remakes or sequels to some Disney IP.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Can we actually call out the real problem here? I'd like to see a Venn Diagram of *all movies produced* + sequels or remakes + owned by Disney.

There's absolutely minimal new or unique content at this point and it's mostly just remakes or sequels to some Disney IP.
As I mentioned before, no one pays to see the original content. They want the same story over and over again. The same reason there are 65 marvel movies.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As I mentioned before, no one pays to see the original content. They want the same story over and over again. The same reason there are 65 marvel movies.

Pixar is a thing. And most of their movies are one and dones. Granted that falls under Disney and a studio with a reputation, but they do sell tickets under new IP.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Pixar is a thing. And most of their movies are one and dones. Granted that falls under Disney and a studio with a reputation, but they do sell tickets under new IP.
And the Disney live actions have made more than the original Pixar's.

Disney animation has had good success with originals. But their original live action hasn't done nearly as well.

Mar 11, 2004

Er, what?

They have almost as many sequels now as they have originals. Toy Story is on its 4th and has a spinoff now. Monsters, Inside Out, Cars (multiple as well as also spinoff in Planes), Finding Nemo, and Incredibles all have sequels. They're pretty likely to make sequels to others.

I still remember Lasseter saying how he thought Pixar succeeded and Disney was failing because Pixar didn't do sequels and it cheapens them, then Disney buys Pixar and makes him head of Animation and Pixar starts pumping out sequels worse than Disney.

Reactions: Zorba

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
We can all fall for this trap. I have a friend, firmly woke on the left and father of a trans child fall in this trap when he learned that the new Lord Of The Rings series was coming out and with black dwarfs. He was consumed by LOTR and fantasy even pre teenager and this just somehow cracked a ripple in his foundation.. short lived as it was, it was there for a second and to my mind, if it can happen to my friend, it can happen to anyone.

Not all of the backlash is based in hatred, racism, or sexism. Some of it is just straight of nostalgia and people in hollywood flat out stomping on things people love for the sake of change so they can add their own spin for no particular reason than catering to whatever the current culture trend is. I don't think many of us are immune to it in things we grew up loving no matter how 'woke' we may be. I for one do not care one bit about mixed race couples, but it has quickly become everything released has mixed couples. Now, I can say I don't care, but the reality is since in life isn't 100% mixed couples, its very obvious that is the current 'trend'. (Just an example again, by no means do I actually care).

I mean, has there ever been a batman that people were excited for after the casting announcement? And all of those people were white males. People are just judgey all around.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
This is true. Many Disney movies have gotten terrible reviews on Rotten Tomatoes before the movie has even been released.
There are a few exceptions however. Remember when Tron Legacy was coming out, and critics had high expectations from the trailers. Then after the movie released they ended up disappointed?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Make it a horror comedy/social commentary directed by Jordan Peele and it would probably be a big winner.
Nah keep to the original script. But this time, instead of a white person as the prince in the animated, put Steve Harvey as the prince.

Since there is the evil queen in Snow White, keep the queen white, and the best actor portrayal of the queen would be MTG.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Think white conservatives would have a shit fit if Lassie were rereleased with a German shepherd as the star??

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Nah keep to the original script. But this time, instead of a white person as the prince in the animated, put Steve Harvey as the prince.

Since there is the evil queen in Snow White, keep the queen white, and the best actor portrayal of the queen would be MTG.
that would be a terrible choice, I doubt she could act her way out of of a wet paper bag. she lacks the intelligence. for anything.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

At least with the Disney-version of Marvel that's what we get.... mass-market crap.

Frankly this new bunch of "disneyfied" stories may well make more money by appealing more to the "mainstream", but they seem to have forgotten about the actual comic-book fans who are the ENTIRE reason they got so popular in the first place.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I am annoyed that cultural appropriation is now somehow bad. Cultures stealing things from each other is a good thing!!
There is, or at should be, a difference between cultural appropriation and culture integration. Cultural integration is when you add parts of a culture with respect to that cultures values and beliefs. Cultural appropriation is when you take something from a culture and either use it to ridicule that culture, or use it in a way disrespectful of that cultures beliefs and values.

I think a lot of people, even liberals, have confused the two.