The PC Gods are hating me - yesterday my home box, today my work box!!! D-E-A-D.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
[churchlady]Well, isn't that special?[/churchlady]

The PC Gods are not smiling upon me lately.

Over the weekend I screwed up my main rig at home (my fault). Took 1/2 day yesterday wiping/reloading. Got it up and running. Fine and dandy.

Go to work (Job #1) this morning. Hit the power button on my work box. What do I see?

"The file WinNT/Config/Sys32 is corrupt...cannot continue loading."

Darn. So, I have to take the box down to the small computer shop. Luckily, I know the guys down there and they know, that I know what I'm doing. So, they let me take the HD out, slave it to one of their test boxes and backup all my stuff to a network drive.

Then, they image W2K (we're moving from NT to 2K...finally!) onto my HD, I take the box back to my workstation and suck back all my info off the server onto my HD. Now, all I have to do is rearrange all 1.6GB of files back in an orderly fashion and I'll be finished. That should take me at least until Thursday.
rolleye.gif
Bah, I hate NT!.

I don't know what went wrong; I powered down like normal on Friday.....

Anyway, my rant is thru. Thanks for reading this far.

Ih8canada

Jan 21, 2002
michael my records show you were using sp4 when you should have been using 6a. Therefore the fault is entirely on you.

~NTgUrU

Oscar1613

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
since feb, i've had the right rear channel on my z-560s die, a hard drive overheat then kill itself during backups, a mobo die, and just today (only about 2 weeks since i got them back due to shipping problems
rolleye.gif
) my z-560s have killed themselves once again... whenever i turn them on i get loud booms and pops... even with the volume at zero and everything but the power unplugged... :confused:

oh yeah... and i had a problem with my monitor alittle while ago where it would scramble for 5 mins every time i turned it on, then go back to normal... but that went away by itself just as mysteriously as it started :confused:

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Oscar1613
since feb, i've had the right rear channel on my z-560s die, a hard drive overheat then kill itself during backups, a mobo die, and just today (only about 2 weeks since i got them back due to shipping problems
rolleye.gif
) my z-560s have killed themselves once again... whenever i turn them on i get loud booms and pops... even with the volume at zero and everything but the power unplugged... :confused:

oh yeah... and i had a problem with my monitor alittle while ago where it would scramble for 5 mins every time i turned it on, then go back to normal... but that went away by itself just as mysteriously as it started :confused:

It really sounds like you're having power problems. As in the 120V AC power in your house is really bad. All the different probs with all the different devices kind of points me in that direction.

Have you looked into a Voltage-Regulating (AVR) UPS? Seriously.