The Patriot? Any good?

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
Very good .. rented and watched last night ... we are going to watch it again tonight before we take it back if we have time :) There were a couple of times I grabbed e_mc_2 ... but then again I'm a wuss when it comes to people dieing in movies ... thats why I don't watch horror movies .. lol ... but even with the scenes where people died I still liked it ... if E reads this he will never let me live it down because I didn't want to rent it .. lol ..

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Yeah, its great but remember the big controversy about kids killing with guns in the movie? :D

lesterjr

Oct 10, 2000
This is a great movie. I got it on dvd. That cannonball shot startled me and I blinked so I had to rewind it and watch that part again. Then I had to watch it again in slow motion. That was awesome.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
its a good rent, i saw it at theater on independence day. Kinda cheesy and unrealistic on somepoints (to make it dramatic i guess) but definatly worth a rental. what other choices you have for rental? maybe we can help u chooose.

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
I guess my opinion is not representative of the common attitude toward the movie here :). I thought it was overall a sub-par movie.

The entire mess was over revenge. The "patriotism" was Gibson's vengeance with a flag in hand. The worst part is, I went in with no expectations, and only knowledge of the title and starring member of the cast. My view did not change after that... it remained a movie, called the patriot, starring mel gibson.

It has a similar plotline to Gladiator (different time, etc), but at least there was a sense of integrity and nobility in Crowe's portrayal of Maximus. I really didn't get that feel that was meant to be portrayed from Gibson.

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
Ditto Stomp.
Have seen it twice, once in the theater and once on video.
No character development at all. Remember how good that was in Braveheart?
Acting - average at best. They should have renamed it to the "Revenge Seeker" or something, because it didn't inspire alot of patriotism only vengence against one nasty Brit.
Good scenery and action scenes though.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It was no Last of the Mohicans. And it was no Braveheart. It was Mel trying to help a mediocre script.

Got to admit though, the cannonball scenes were pretty damn cool :)

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Blockbuster was all out of the Patriot, so we ended renting Frequency which wasn't bad at all. Maybe next week for the Patriot

:)