Discussion The Patient Gamer: Ori and the Blind Forest - To Be a Kid Again

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I entered the Metroidvania genre from the Metroid side, both the original NES Metroid and far more importantly the seminal SNES Super Metroid. Super Metroid went down as one of my top games of all times, to the point where I made it a mission much later in life to track down an SNES cartrige of the game so I could fire it up from time to time on my old OG SNES system. I never owned a Playstation, never got to experience Castlevania Symphony of the Night, which in my understanding is the high watermark for the "vania" part of the genre.

Ori and the Blind Forest is a Metroidvania. Its a damn good Metroidvania. It really took me back to that place as a kid playing Super Metroid, getting new powers that opened up new areas and new secrets, overcoming challenges that were tuned just right to get to that point where I wanted to turn the game off. Except that the challenge was fair and I wasn't beating it because of silly errors on my part not the game. Relax, take a deep breath, then just power through and overcome with focus and skill.

The art direction, the music, the melancholy tone that is almost a staple of indie games nowadays are all there on spectacular display. I'm so happy to see this modern rejection of that old early 2000's mantra of "everything has to be 3D" that fully embraces that 2d side-scrollers are their own thing, not something less because its lacking a dimension.

The platforming is tight and responsive, the upgrades are fun, the level design is fantastic. The game does not have much combat depth, but then the game really isn't so much about fighting enemies as it is about movement. There are no bosses in the traditional MetroidVania-BulletHell sense, but rather end of instance escape events that require tight timing and a complete mastery of the movement skillset to complete. They are pulse pounding and intense in a way a traditional boss battle could never be, and I appreciated the game more for it.

Not a long review, not a lot to really write about Ori other than that it is an excellent game that will really bring out the nostalgia of simpler times for older gamers, while also giving modern gamers a much needed respite from the state of the AAA game industry writ large.

Its dirt cheap, runs well on most anything, has already had a sequel released, and is best played with a controller. Enjoy.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The NES and the SNES should have each had 2 games.

Also, theres not enough Metroid's on Steam.

Best thing we got is the ultimate Castlevania, Bloodstained, which happened to be made by the guy who oversaw all the Castlevania's. And its great. But we need more Metroid's.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
@shortylickens never gonna happen, Nintendo barely released Metroid games for their own systems, let alone ever diluting their brand by bringing stuff to the PC :p

Been discussing with @Stg-Flame about Symphony of the Night and how important it is to find a copy to better appreciate the whole genre (since it didn't come out on PC either...)

Being the lazy bastard that I am though, I may just go ahead and grab Bloodstained:RotN and just pretend I played SOTN...

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Awesome game with a great story. Great music also. I think I subconsciously died multiple times during the tree escape sequence so I could keep listening to the music. Yeah, it wasn't because I sucked at it...

The second has a more developed combat system. WotW seems to conclude the story, so will probably not get a third.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Awesome game with a great story. Great music also. I think I subconsciously died multiple times during the tree escape sequence so I could keep listening to the music. Yeah, it wasn't because I sucked at it...

The second has a more developed combat system. WotW seems to conclude the story, so will probably not get a third.

- Good to know about the combat system in the second game. Honestly I didn't mind the basic "upgrade the combat tree then mash X" style combat in Blind Forest since the movement mechanics were so good.

Sort of glad to hear things get "wrapped up" in WotW, would be very refreshing to have a 1-3 game series that has devs that decide to actually stop, wrap things up, and move on to something else.