Discussion The Patient Gamer: Doom (2016) - Rip & Tear

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I recently completed the Doom reboot and all I can really say is holy **** this game is everything modern FPS games needed in one tidy package. The last game that felt this viceral (in its own way) was the Wolfenstein reboot games (The New Order/The Old Blood).

The game's combat goes right back to the series roots: constant movement, pressing the advantage, non-stop combat. Stand still, and you die. Run away from enemies, run out of ammo, die. Stop the killing, you die.

No reloading, and all our favorite guns and some come back from the original. There is some modernization in the form of challenge trials, weapon and armor upgrades, but it's handled tastefully around the edges of the core combat.

Given there are no hitscan enemies in the game at all, it is theoretically possible to avoid all the upgrades and play the game purely on skill alone (although it would be much more difficult, no doubt).

Most of the classic enemies are back in some form or another, as well as some new ones. The designs are nice and varied, some drawing from the original doom, others drawing from Doom 3, there is a nice diverse cast of bad guys that all serve different roles in combat. While I didn't catch any non-scripted moments of the enemies fighting each other, they can definitely damage each other in the heat of combat.

There is actually a substantial amount of lore building happening in the background, and I appreciated how the game handles "The Legend of the Doom Slayer" and reinforces how the demons realize their screwed as soon as you're awoken.

From a technical perspective, this game is an absolute gem. The game stayed around 120-144hz at 1440p using the vulkan renderer on my signature rig. The graphics are fantastic, but as a fast paced shooter the game could do away with a lot of environmental clutter and objects that might bog down other games.

Level design is also a "series of arenas" connected by corridors, which is not a big deal in my mind as the game basically breaks down into a platformer during the corridor sections as a respite from all out combat in the arena sections and helps with pacing.

Doom 2016 is a fantastic shooter. It's a great game. It almost perfectly balances nostalgia with modern game design, and it really feels like the developers captured the spirit of the original game. It is unabashedly violent, skill based, horrifying but not necessarily scary. There is plenty of game, but it also does not overstay it's welcome.

If games are boring you, they feel to slow, or you need some adrenaline in your life, you can do a helluva lot worse than Doom 2016.

Reactions: OCNewbie

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
you should have realized that 4 years ago.

- I play the games I play, then go back and see where yatz is in relation to me.

He plays games professionally, for a living. He's always going to have a more jaded perspective than the casual gamer. He's going to have a different relationship with games.

He thinks Dark Souls is the best thing since sliced bread, and I agree it's a solid game, but it's just not the right kind of game for me.

That being said, he appeared to be equally impressed by the Doom remake.

Given the size of the market, you'll find about a million people that like any AAA game. Doesn't always mean I will.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I really liked the Doom reboot. It is too bad the sequel kind of sucks.

-It keep reading this places (like the "Returned" thread on this forum) and I know that after playing Doom almighty God itself couldn't come down from heaven and convince me not to eventually play Eternal.

That being said, one of the key elements of Doom that I really enjoyed was how the kept the story and lore there but it was in the background adding atmosphere and reinforcing the Doom Slayers badassness. In Eternal, it looks like id went a bit more full frontal with the lore and space angels vs space demons thing and it feels like it's going backwards.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The issue is that there are about a dozen different buttons you need to remember while you parkor around for the random crap you need to do on occasion. So you end up just dying since you can't remember which button it is when you need to use it since you use it so infrequently.

I just found it wasn't fun for me. The combat was still fun though, I just didn't like the QuickTime like parkor with random button presses.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The issue is that there are about a dozen different buttons you need to remember while you parkor around for the random crap you need to do on occasion. So you end up just dying since you can't remember which button it is when you need to use it since you use it so infrequently.

I just found it wasn't fun for me. The combat was still fun though, I just didn't like the QuickTime like parkor with random button presses.

- I'll pick it up eventually after its deep in the discount bin (like everything else I buy) and give it a shot. Naturally I'll write about it here.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Doom 2016 - Enjoyed
Doom Eternal - Boring and I have no motivation to finish the game.
Can't even remember (or care) what level I left off on and have instead finally started playing Witcher 3

Reactions: Martimus

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Best Doom is probably classic iwad on GZDoom with project brutality :D

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have started playing this yesterday - had to do a bit of convincing because it kept crashing, and even now refuses to support Vulkan - but it works.

i picked Ultra-Violence as my starting difficulty, and i am afraid i may have bitten off more than i can chew. With me playing quake online for 10 years now, i thought i could handle of few mobs, but DAYUM, this game is brutal. A mere touch of an imp is enough to make you lose 1/3 of you health.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
yeah F* that i restarted on Hurt Me Plenty.
Thing is, the game doesn't pause while you preform Glory Kills. So when you got a ton of tiny imps near you, and you have to do a kill - necessary to boost your health - the buggers will come close to you and be ready to hit you when you come out of the animation.

I found that later on the game relies much more on ... grossly overpowered weapons, and therefore this isn't a problem anymore, but meh, i'm gonna finish it at this difficulty level now.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
You're the guy on YouTube? Interesting.

-Was this directed at me? If so, I'm definitely not on YouTube and really more or less avoid youtube like the plague.

The Patient Gamer thing really grew out of reading the r/patientgamer subreddit and a personal quest I started on a few years ago to actually play the hundreds of games I'd built up in my Steam library.

I would not be shocked if there are not thousands or tens of thousands of "The Patient Gamer"s out there.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
-Was this directed at me? If so, I'm definitely not on YouTube and really more or less avoid youtube like the plague.

The Patient Gamer thing really grew out of reading the r/patientgamer subreddit and a personal quest I started on a few years ago to actually play the hundreds of games I'd built up in my Steam library.

I would not be shocked if there are not thousands or tens of thousands of "The Patient Gamer"s out there.
I am one of them. I have well over 700 games on Steam, and I might have played 200 if I'm lucky. For some reason I don't even want to play anymore. It was like a switch a couple weeks ago, and even though I just upgraded my computer a few months ago, when I try any game I get bored in minutes and don't really want to play anymore. This is after spending hours upon hours just a few weeks ago. I honestly don't know what happened.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I am one of them. I have well over 700 games on Steam, and I might have played 200 if I'm lucky. For some reason I don't even want to play anymore. It was like a switch a couple weeks ago, and even though I just upgraded my computer a few months ago, when I try any game I get bored in minutes and don't really want to play anymore. This is after spending hours upon hours just a few weeks ago. I honestly don't know what happened.

- It happens, just go do something else for a while. I usually take some time off after completing a game to do some other hobbies, then come back to gaming when it feels right.

Reactions: Martimus

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yep, I've had multiple cycles over the last couple decades where I didn't feel like gaming for x period.