The Outsourcing of an entire bridge

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The funny thing is, if it made a ton of sense to spend that $400 million, and we needed to raise it in taxes, the Republicans sign no new tax pledges blocking the 2/3 needed.

No, the real funny thing is that they probably could have gotten the $400 million in US government grants but chose not to and paid for it themselves because they didn't want to have to comply with the "Buy America Act". I personally think that there are US companies that could have rose to the challenge and built this bridge.

Maybe we should offshore our government officials (looks like CA has 250 people living there while this is being built...may as well send the rest of them).

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Why limit your cup of rage to just half when you get served the whole thing regardless? Your partisan douchebaggery is one of the primary reasons of why we have these problems, yet you insist on using them to what? Make yourself feel superior by thinking you are on the side of the just and correct? Or does your partisan hackery allow for a built in excuse for failures by blaming the other side?

What you fail to realize is that for you, there is a mirror image opposite of the extreme right, probably one of your hated tea party members, who merely cancels you out. Where does that get us?

Of course you will not understand this, many others have tried to point this out to you in just the past several days alone. Yet the rage continues unabated.

Just answer this one question please: Do you think that if every Republican was instantly replaced with a Democrat tomorrow, would all of these problems be solved?

4 paragraphs of babble with zero content. You deserve a medal, sir.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
No, the real funny thing is that they probably could have gotten the $400 million in US government grants but chose not to and paid for it themselves because they didn't want to have to comply with the "Buy America Act". I personally think that there are US companies that could have rose to the challenge and built this bridge.

Maybe we should offshore our government officials (looks like CA has 250 people living there while this is being built...may as well send the rest of them).

I'm wondering about that, too.

Think I'm going to call my legislator tomorrow.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
How much of the $7.2 billion (wow) cost is going to China, and how much to the US?
When they started this it was expected to cost less than $1 billion.

If you wonder why Republicans bitch about spending there is your answer.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
When they started this it was expected to cost less than $1 billion.

If you wonder why Republicans bitch about spending there is your answer.
Overruns like that may be a great reason to bitch about spending, but it's not the reason why Republicans bitch about it.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Back in the days of far more people in unions, expensive American labor we can't afford, we built the Golden Gate bridge. We built the Hoover Dam, the Empire State building.

Rachel Maddow agreeing in a 20 second video:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42705352#42705311

How can you just ignore economic realities of those eras versus the realities of today and come to that conclusion?

Edit: Along with the EPA people must remember that California also has its own environmental regulations which stand in the way of just plopping down a large steel mill and manufacturing plant. So even if a industrial plant is complaint at a federal level the state of California will go out of its way to ensure that they are also compliant at the state level because our state legislators are just that special when it comes to throwing up hurdles.

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Can American companies bid to build their projects? I doubt it. Plus how would you compete with a government that wants mercantilism while we claim to want to compete as an "open" free market economy?
Oh please...
I've both competed with and destroyed many civilizations that practiced "mercantilism" while I used "free market".