The Only Harry Potter Final Book Thread allowed in OT

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Since the release of the upcoming final book is in four days, this will be the only Harry Potter thread allowed on OT for the time being.

The requirements for this are simple. Talk about the past books and the possible outcomes and conclusions of the final book, but NO SPOILERS. Keep it civil, courteous and just have fun.

Ignoring the above will get you the below:

New thread starters will be given 2 day vacations as a penalty for ignoring the moderator request and their threads will be locked.

People posting spoilers and links to spoilers in this thread will be given 2 weeks off.

edit:
It's come to mod attention that equal opportunity has not been given to people that WANT to discuss spoilers. With that in mind, spoiler threads are allowed with these few things in mind.

1) The spoiler can't be in the title for others to see. Remember there are people that want to discuss the book without spoilers. That is why this thread exists. Be courteous to these members by using appropriate titles. Titles like "Harry Dies" or something to that effect will be locked with timeout for the OP.

2) Put the word spoiler is in the title or subtitle, so it is easy for others to see and avoid if they choose.

3) This thread is still the only discussion thread for the last Harry Potter book. Do not start a new thread, because lock and vacation are still in place. Keeping this thread for just this purpose makes it easier to moderate plus these participants don't feel like they are walking into unknown territory.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Does anyone else think leaving the locket out of OotP movie will come back to bite the filmmakers in the ass come the 7th movie?

Or what about Mundungus Fletcher? He's been completely absent in the movies but is (assumedly) the one that stole the locket from the Black house (along with anything else not tied down).

blamb425

Mar 30, 2007
dumbledore is dead, why would he make a horcrux after telling harry about a whole soul?

not a spoiler, but RELATED to them:

does anyone know if those were real, the one with 759 pages? (yes, i know its 784, but scholastic has confirmed that 784 was the number of pages BOUND, not numbered)

@bearxor, not really, they could film them wandering through grimmauld place and find the locket

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: bearxor
Does anyone else think leaving the locket out of OotP movie will come back to bite the filmmakers in the ass come the 7th movie?

Or what about Mundungus Fletcher? He's been completely absent in the movies but is (assumedly) the one that stole the locket from the Black house (along with anything else not tied down).

I think JK worked with the film makers.

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006

Its not like they haven't fudged facts to make the movies work yet. They will again.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006

I looked and waited for that in the film. The fact that it wasnt in the film makes me think that its not a big detail, as I think JK works with the makers.

Though the theory did make a lot of sense.

I think Neville will play a big part in this book.

What do you guys think about Sirius? My friend is convinced hes not dead.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: FallenHero
My thoughts: Dumbledoor is not dead...he had the backup like Voldamort does.

Rowling already said Dubledore was dead for real, also in the book it says splitting your soul to stay alive like that is an incredibly evil thing to do so theres no way Dumbledore would do it. So, but Dumbledore is definitely 100% completely dead (maybe at best he will be a picture on the wall like the other headmasters). On a side note apparently this is how pretty much every fantasy book works in that the heroes mentor dies after imparting their wisdom and the hero has to defeat the bad guy on their own.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Cabages

I looked and waited for that in the film. The fact that it wasnt in the film makes me think that its not a big detail, as I think JK works with the makers.

What locket in OotP? The only one I remember was in the end of Half-Blood Prince. I'm also wondering on the death part. Rowling said two main characters will die, right? Well, I'd like to think she means Ron or Hermione, but really, in the books, certain characters receive a huge amount more presence.

I haven't seen OotP though, so I'm not sure how much they toned down Ginny and the Weasley twins though.

Originally posted by: BrownTown
Originally posted by: FallenHero
My thoughts: Dumbledoor is not dead...he had the backup like Voldamort does.

Rowling already said Dubledore was dead for real, also in the book it says splitting your soul to stay alive like that is an incredibly evil thing to do so theres no way Dumbledore would do it. So, but Dumbledore is definitely 100% completely dead (maybe at best he will be a picture on the wall like the other headmasters). On a side note apparently this is how pretty much every fantasy book works in that the heroes mentor dies after imparting their wisdom and the hero has to defeat the bad guy on their own.

If I remember correctly, he was already up on the wall when Harry went to McGonagell's new office.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005

Locket is in BHP not OOP

blamb425

Mar 30, 2007
The locket IS in OOtP, when Harry, Ron, and Hermione are "waging war on the house", the find "a heavy locket that no one could open". It's a VERY subtle phrase. You'll have to do a bit of searching before you find it. Or you could just google it.

I've read the spoiler, and there's so much I wish I could tell you! You have to wait until Saturday! MUAHAHA

Of course, I'm getting my own copy, as well! :D

Have fun with it!

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
Locket is in BHP not OOP

The locket we are talking about is the one Harry and a bunch of them found while cleaning Grimauld place in the 5th.

I cant exactly remember, but I think it was Sirius's brothers locket, who also had the initials RAB (Regulus A. Black).

Its a theory thats been floating around for a while. Mostly based on that his brother was a death eater at one point, and his initials are RAB.

More on R.A.B.

EDIT: Can we also please keep the quoting to a minimal? Just mainly quote what is relevant to your response.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Locket is in BHP not OOP

The locket we are talking about is the one Harry and a bunch of them found while cleaning Grimauld place in the 5th.

I cant exactly remember, but I think it was Sirius's cousins locket, who also had the initials RAB (I cant remember his name).

Its a theory thats been floating around for a while. Mostly based on that his brother was a death eater at one point, and his initials are RAB.

RAB was the one in Half-Blood Prince.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Locket is in BHP not OOP

There is a mention of what would appear to be the real Horcrux in OOtP. While they are cleaning Grimauld Place out, they make mention of a locket that no one was able to open. Then in HBP they find the locket (Which they thought to be the horcrux) with the initials RAB on them (Which one can only assume to mean Regulus A. Black- Former Death Eater, killed by Voldemort for reasons "unknown").

Sirius is most definitely dead. Remember how Rowling works with the directors in the movie? Well in the movie he died by the Avada Kadavra curse which means he is most definitely dead. Since the movies have to match up with the book, we can infer that the curtain also implies death.

Rowling has said that Dumbledore is, unfortunately, dead. Though as was stated in the book his portrait hung next to previous headmasters/headmistresses on the wall. So I believe he will still be able to impart his wisdom, he will just be stuck in a portrait.

Also, since we can infer that the movie is 100% correct, I am going to say that Harry probably ends up with Luna (if Ginny is out of the picture that is). In the movie, they seemed to show Luna and Harry connecting a lot more than was written in the book.

-Kevin

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek

Locket is in BHP not OOP

There is a mention of what would appear to be the real Horcrux in OOtP. While they are cleaning Grimauld Place out, they make mention of a locket that no one was able to open. Then in HBP they find the locket (Which they thought to be the horcrux) with the initials RAB on them (Which one can only assume to mean Regulus A. Black- Former Death Eater, killed by Voldemort for reasons "unknown").

Sirius is most definitely dead. Remember how Rowling works with the directors in the movie? Well in the movie he died by the Avada Kadavra curse which means he is most definitely dead. Since the movies have to match up with the book, we can infer that the curtain also implies death.

Rowling has said that Dumbledore is, unfortunately, dead. Though as was stated in the book his portrait hung next to previous headmasters/headmistresses on the wall. So I believe he will still be able to impart his wisdom, he will just be stuck in a portrait.

Also, since we can infer that the movie is 100% correct, I am going to say that Harry probably ends up with Luna (if Ginny is out of the picture that is). In the movie, they seemed to show Luna and Harry connecting a lot more than was written in the book.

-Kevin

What happened? Snape died in a Harry Potter movie? Since when?

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Hacp

Locket is in BHP not OOP

-Kevin

Umm, I don't think I ever mentioned Snape in my post.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Locket is in BHP not OOP

-Kevin

Ah, yes.

Nov 5, 2001

Locket is in BHP not OOP

-Kevin

Ah, yes.

so is that your sly way of posting a spoiler?

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
dear mods,

thank you!

since JKR works with the filmmakers, i don't think not showing the locket in the OOTP movie will come back to bite them in the behind. they can easily put it into the sixth movie.

can't wait for friday!

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
So whos going to go stand in line Friday night for one?

I would, but im scared of spoilers, and amazon will get it to me that day.