• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

The ONE time I don't buy something from Newegg

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
So I wanted to get the new canon TX1...looked online and the egg has it for 500 bones...

found it on Canon TX1 for 465 which they now have for cheaper...and they have a great reseller rating

So I get the camera last week and it looks like someone sat on the box...the camera looked used and also was missing two pieces.

So call them up, request to get a new in box camera as that is what is listed for sale...no problem they say...pay 10 bucks shipping to get it back to them...

Because I don't always trust customer service dorks...I wrote my initials in the bottom of the box and on the inside of the manual...

Get the camera back today...what do I get? The same box with the same camera...with the missing pieces...

I HATE dealing with crap like this and should have KNOWN better to just bite the bullet and buy from the egg....

End Rant

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Damn dude, you're cheap, all that to save $35? Not even worth the hassle for so little.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Call them up again, demand a new one in a factory sealed box. Demand that in the box they include a prepaid return address label for the old one. Otherwise, dispute the charge with your CC company since you paid for a NEW item and got a used one. THen file a complaint with the BBB and your state's Attorney General's office.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
The only photo store I would trust in NY is b&h, all the rest are scum buckets.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: KK
b&h is AWESOME. we ordered some pelican case foam from that at work and it arrived the next day :Q

we also got our projector screen at a very nice price.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
That sucks... yeah I generally buy from newegg if I can. In fact, I realized just how dependent on them I am the other day... I searched their site for a multimeter and the only one they have is part of a $150 deluxe PC repair toolbox kit... I just kinda sat there dazed, staring off into space... I didn't know what to do o_O I still haven't gotten around to finding a good one from a reputable reseller lol... anyone have any advice?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
not ALL the rest, just most of the rest.

Adorama & JR are excellent.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: aphex

Ehh I don't agree with J&R. They like to oversell their products, and keep you waiting forever without email updates about your order.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Originally posted by: aphex

Ehh I don't agree with J&R. They like to oversell their products, and keep you waiting forever without email updates about your order.
well stock updates are one thing, this company is trying to defraud. Been shopping at jr for years now, never had a problem.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Dunbar
Damn dude, you're cheap, all that to save $35? Not even worth the hassle for so little.
Unless I wrote it so it couldn't be understood...I am returning the camera AGAIN...because the first time it didn't appear to be NEW IN BOX...a piece was missing, the box was a mess, and the camera looked like it was used.

The second time I got the camera I RECEIVED THE SAME CAMERA (i.e. still used, and NOT APPEARING NEW)...

within that two week time span the price dropped 35 dollars.

I am returning it to get a NEW IN BOX camera...the fact that the price dropped is an added bonus which I want since I didn't even get the change to use the camera yet.

As for the company...I have read reviews on some of the stores in NY...and they all sounded terrible...

HOWEVER...usually I go on reseller rating when I want a different perspective and the company has a fair number of reviews and they are all generally positive...so I guess I am just one with bad luck to some degree...

I am holding my breath cause I got off the phone and stated my case...they are going to take the camera back (Their Dime this time), and exchange it with a New one...and also credit me 35 dollars....

We will see as I just got back from UPS and dropping off the camera.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Agreed, B&H or Adorama, maybe Beach, but other than that, avoid any New York/New Jersey photo store liked the plague.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Another vote here for B&H. I never thought I'd say it but I've found an on-line retailer better than Newegg!

DigitalPhotoClub's resellerating is quite impressive if you take it for face-value. If you read some of the individual reviews you'll see a disturbing trend.

Did you use a CC for this purchase? If so give them no more chances (after this last one). Dispute the charge ...

Good luck ...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Excellent customer service with an established reputation is worth atleast an extra 10% of the purchase price over a less reputable/established vendor imo. It more than pays for itself in the long run too.

crisscross

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
J&R is quite crappy. I had to get a camera for a trip and since the credit card billing and shipping address was different, I called up to confirm that they would ship on time and so that i could provide any verification they needed, when they said that it won't be a problem i went ahead and placed an order with the same rep, next day i check the status and sure enough the order was on hold, finally had to pay for priority shipping to get it on time

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: leeland
So I wanted to get the new canon TX1...looked online and the egg has it for 500 bones...

found it on Canon TX1 for 465 which they now have for cheaper...and they have a great reseller rating

So I get the camera last week and it looks like someone sat on the box...the camera looked used and also was missing two pieces.

So call them up, request to get a new in box camera as that is what is listed for sale...no problem they say...pay 10 bucks shipping to get it back to them...

Because I don't always trust customer service dorks...I wrote my initials in the bottom of the box and on the inside of the manual...

Get the camera back today...what do I get? The same box with the same camera...with the missing pieces...

I HATE dealing with crap like this and should have KNOWN better to just bite the bullet and buy from the egg....

End Rant
See?;)

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: leeland

End Rant
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNPSTX1

Good place I purchased from a few times without issue. Also had a few friends buy from them to.
and cheaper then either of the two above.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/BuyDig_Beachtr

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Demand your shipping back at the very least. They forced you to ship them a camera under the false pretenses that you'd be getting another back. By sending the same one back, they just forced you to pay shipping for no reason when, if that was even acceptable, they should have just shipped the parts.

I ordered from BuyRite games once, knowing full well that the imported Japanese GameCube game I was ordering was supposed to include a Gameboy Advance to Gamecube connection cable and I could even spot the Japanese writing stating its inclusion on the boxart from the product description. The game was Nintendo Puzzle Collection. This site was well known for ripping people off, and they got me too: They unboxed the game and sent me the game-only, hoping that I was unaware so that they could sell the cable separately. When i called to complain, they assured me that they would make it right. When I said that sending me a cable from inventory was not enough because I was a collector who wanted the full box, they said they "understood" and that I would get exactly what I wanted. Confused at how they could possibly be keeping the box and cable around, I remained suspicious. As soon as a confirmation email showed up for the cable, I called them back to say that this is not what I wanted and that I would send the entire thing back and expect a fully boxed replacement if they could not supply the ACTUAL missing box and cable. Once again, they assured me that they knew exactly what I wanted and that that is what they were sending me. They even said that they had it right beside them, without ever specifying WHAT they had... they always just responded to my specification with "Yes, that's it. That's what we have. That's what we are sending you."

Sure enough, I got a bubble envelope with a loose cable. I was never able to get them to make it right because I was then burglarized and I no longer had the game.

Years later, I ordered it again from Play-Asia and they gave me exactly what I was supposed to get. Screw BuyRite.

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
Nothing but praise for Play-Asia. The company is based in Hong Kong. Very reasonable 3 day shipping charges, on time too. Ordered Vanguard from them (game is crap btw) and it promptly arrived on my doorstep 3 days later.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
b&h is AWESOME. we ordered some pelican case foam from that at work and it arrived the next day :Q

we also got our projector screen at a very nice price.
www.17photo.com is the other one I trust.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CKent
That sucks... yeah I generally buy from newegg if I can. In fact, I realized just how dependent on them I am the other day... I searched their site for a multimeter and the only one they have is part of a $150 deluxe PC repair toolbox kit... I just kinda sat there dazed, staring off into space... I didn't know what to do o_O I still haven't gotten around to finding a good one from a reputable reseller lol... anyone have any advice?
Go to Walmart or Radioshack.

ASK THE COMMUNITY