The old Kings Quest series and Quest for Glory

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
What would you compare those types of games too now? I'm looking for games I havent played to try. Is there anything similar to these?

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
I didnt mean exactly like it. Obviously they arent going to make a game where you can type commands and its a 2d world. Space Quest was another one, and leisure suit larry. Interactive games that require thinking but have a fun/funny gameplay with objectives and twists. Does anyone understand where I'm coming from?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: techgamer
What would you compare those types of games too now? I'm looking for games I havent played to try. Is there anything similar to these?

i think my childhood mind + those games = more fun than my adult mind and todays games. I dont knwo what it was about those games, especially the quest for glorys, but I loved them.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The first rpg that really got me was a game called Phantasy for the c64, then the bard's tale series and Ultima

/get of my lawn

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
I grew up on those. And Betrayal at Krondor. No games like those exist anymore. However, many of them are now free, including BaK and Freddy Pharkas: Frontire Pharmacist. If you haven't played Freddy, you are missing out.

How old is everyone? I remember I was about 10-12 when these games were getting mainstream in the very early 90s. I remember saving up my $49.99 so I could go down and buy the newest Sierra release, whether it was Space Quest IV or Kings Quest 6. I remember getting home, taking off the slip over cardboard that enveloped the large box that contained the sweet 3.5" floppy disks that would become the source of many wasted hours of my youth.

I miss it. A lot.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Anyone remember Hero's Quest?

I loved the Kings/Space/Police Quest series but Hero's Quest captured my imagination the most.

Fighting the bad guys with different elements...

Too bad games don't exist like that anymore.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Dammit, I want games like those again. *Goes to look for his King's Quest collection*

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The Quest for Glory collection is still one my favorite game series ever. I haven't been able to find any game that combines the humor and RPG based elements as well as the old Sierra adventure series games did. Absolute classics.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I loved both of those series too. I do not think any games like it are developed anymore since most of the RPG market doesn't want to think as much as they want to interact. A lot of gamers get pissy and bored if their hand isn't held throughout an RPG game telling them exactly what to do for a quest.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ahh yes... I forgot Hero's Quest was renamed Quest for Glory after they were sued by that board game company.

KAZANI

Sep 10, 2006
The genre is alive and well, you (like most people) just got caught up in the FPS-posing-as-adventure-game hype:

- Nostalgic King's Quest I & II revamped

- 100% freshness Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine:

"The Hero: Al Emmo.

The Quest: Find a bride - the dating part can wait.

The Place: Anozira... where the men act tough, the women don't shave, and the prarie dogs are armed to their teeth.

...a witty western with a healthy dose of adventure, follows in the tradition of classic adventure gaming. Join Al, a middle-aged, feeble, Easterner, on his journey into the heart of the Wild-West in search of a suitable bride. Enjoy the quaint gold-rush town of Anozira; chat up highly flirtatious babes; cautiously evade warring Indian tribes; discover legends of lost gold; bask in the intense summer heat; encounter breathtaking landscapes; meet up with the occasional rabid prairie dog, and more!"

A cross between Monkey Island and Leisure suit Larry. Grab the demo now!

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Apparently, Zak and Wiki for the Wii is similar to those according to IGN. It got a pretty good rating as well.

imported_Section8

Aug 1, 2006
If you haven't yet, try Fable. It's kinda, sorta like KQ8. You can also google KQ9. There are a bunch of programmers putting together a triolgy based on the KQ series with Shadows being the first installment. I thought it would be out by now, but there is a public demo you can play.

KAZANI

Sep 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Apparently, Zak and Wiki for the Wii is similar to those according to IGN. It got a pretty good rating as well.

Eh, let me just remind you that this is the PC Gaming forum.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Originally posted by: KAZANI

He was just trying to be helpful

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005

Because people who play PC games cant play console games. Let me post it over there and see if he finds it. Douchebag.

Name calling is unnecessary and violates forum policy
No trolling, flaming or personally attacking members. Deftly attacking ideas and backing up arguments with facts is acceptable and encouraged. Attacking other members personally and purposefully causing trouble with no motive other than to upset the crowd is not allowed.

Please be more careful in the future
-Schadenfroh

KAZANI

Sep 10, 2006
Because people who play PC games cant play console games. Let me post it over there and see if he finds it. Douchebag.

That was uncalled for. I wasn't even trying to be offensive back there, but in any case, if you need to resort to insults over such simple comments then you probably ought to focus on gaining more control over your temper.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004

That was uncalled for. I wasn't even trying to be offensive back there, but in any case, if you need to resort to insults over such simple comments then you probably ought to focus on gaining more control over your temper.

Granted Slew called you a douche, I'll sympathize, but your comment wasn't really necessary either. The discussion is over a genre of games that happened to originate on PC's. Zack and Wiki being a game of the same genre but not on PC doesn't make it irrelevant to the thread.

EDIT: well ok, unless you were pointing out that maybe he doesn't have a console, my bad. Also the last adventure game I played was Syberia, it was alright, might be worth checking out. My sister had a lot more fun replaying Grim Fandango though.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Agreed, they just don't make em like this anymore. A great genre of games is dead.

All the Sierra Adventure games, the Lucasarts Adventure Games, a bunch of other whacky ones that were really good, Kryandia, Mission Critical, Death Gate, Star Trek 25th and Judgement Rites (2 of my ALL time favorites).

RIP Adventure Games

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I bought the Kings Quest Collection back in college (1998 or so) because I LOVED them as a kid.
Played each for about 5 minutes before wondering if I was just really easily amused as a child.
I still have my Space Quest III disks and Space Quest IV with original box with slipcover, disks, manuals, "advertisement" (people who had this know what I'm talking about!).
Oh nostalgia plays many tricks on the mind...

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Wow i remember them good ole games. I LOVE LOVE LOVED the Quest for Glory games i think 4 was my fav though. and the monkey island games and loom, beneath a steel sky, full throttle, flight of the amazon queen (these are all lucas arts games in case you didnt notice lol)
sam and max, which was uber twisted but oh so fun. how could you guys not know of psychonauts that game was so great (and its getting ported to the 360 i think) it was by the same guy who made the adventure games back in the day. then there was that claymation one that came out a few years back with the duck looking thing for the pc the neverhood. Grim fandango

sam and max the episdes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S...ne_%28computer_game%29

grim fandango
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Fandango

Psyconauts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychonauts

the games are out there you just have to look under the radar.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Once in a while I bust out these old titles using dosbox (sourceforge it). KQ6 and LSL7 were some of my favorites. But the rose-tinted glasses can only do so much... after playing them for a bit I'm glad as HELL that game graphics have advanced so much. About the oldest game I can stand the graphics of for more than a few minutes at a time is FF7, and even that is pretty bad since I can't get 3d acecleration working with it.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: KMFJD
The first rpg that really got me was a game called Phantasy for the c64, then the bard's tale series and Ultima

/get of my lawn

I remember Phantasie. It was actually pretty sophisticated for its time, with all the different stats and the way it handled combat.