The *Official* Wii Thread...

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
my wii doesn't want to stay in standby mode, it keeps shutting off.

maybe because i haven't used it in like 2-3 months?
seriously thinking about selling it now. i prefer playing games on PC, even though those games are far and few between in regards to games that are actually fun or interest me.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
The more I read from wII owners, the more I hear their units collect dust.
Makes me wonder if it's worth buying one.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: gizbug

Mine is collecting dust but so is my 360. I'm not playing anything right now or have been playing anything within the past couple months. Just playin some BF2 and surfin the net

LeiZaK

Diamond Member
May 25, 2005
Originally posted by: gizbug

We haven't gotten bored with it yet. Of course we've only had it for 3 weeks now.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Get your system modded, and you won't get bored. Many, many great games to play.

Oil

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2005
My Wii was collecting dust until I got RE4 this past week. More and more games are going to come out so it looks like it will be fun down the road

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: OSx86
My Wii was collecting dust until I got RE4 this past week. More and more games are going to come out so it looks like it will be fun down the road

Yeah, RE4 is an excellent example of how nice the pointer system can be.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
My wii got graphic problems (green and black dots/lines) and I had WiiConnect24 on all the time. I did not play my wii much except for a few hours on the weekends, so I can assume that it overheated because of the wireless, but I have no proof. I'm getting it serviced now to get it fixed. Nintendo is sending me a new one and I will ship my old one back.

I noticed when i was watching the intro movie for RE4, i had green and red spots on the bottom. Did you have these graphic problems all the time Jetblack69?

Say if you had to get your system serviced..how does that work with the virtual console games you purchased on your old system? I have at least 10 i downloaded

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Trader05
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>My wii got graphic problems (green and black dots/lines) and I had WiiConnect24 on all the time. I did not play my wii much except for a few hours on the weekends, so I can assume that it overheated because of the wireless, but I have no proof. I'm getting it serviced now to get it fixed. Nintendo is sending me a new one and I will ship my old one back.
</end quote></div>

I noticed when i was watching the intro movie for RE4, i had green and red spots on the bottom. Did you have these graphic problems all the time Jetblack69?

Say if you had to get your system serviced..how does that work with the virtual console games you purchased on your old system? I have at least 10 i downloaded

From what I've heard they will transfer over your system's data and memory to the replacement Wii.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Trader05
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>My wii got graphic problems (green and black dots/lines) and I had WiiConnect24 on all the time. I did not play my wii much except for a few hours on the weekends, so I can assume that it overheated because of the wireless, but I have no proof. I'm getting it serviced now to get it fixed. Nintendo is sending me a new one and I will ship my old one back.
</end quote></div>

Say if you had to get your system serviced..how does that work with the virtual console games you purchased on your old system? I have at least 10 i downloaded</end quote></div>

I happened to notice the graphic problem near the middle and top of my screen. I noticed it the worst in Wii Sports Baseball when they would show a black background of the stands. Also, after about a half hour of Mortal Kombat, I would notice black spots in the Wii menu.

I just got my replacement and the spots are gone. I'm going to turn off WiiConnect24 to see if that solves the problem.

I do not have RE4, so I'm not exactly sure if they are the same.

As for getting it serviced, there are 2 options. I did the first option.

1) They send you a new Wii and you return your broken Wii in the same box. I was able to backup my Zelda, Super Paper Mario and Mortal Kombat saves from my old console to the new one with a SD card. If I had any Wii points or virtual console games, I would have lost them since I can not transfer them to the new console myself. It takes 3-4 business days to get a new Wii after calling them. I have 21 days to ship it back (which they pay for, they give a prepaid label to use.)

2) You send them your broken Wii and they try to fix it. If they can't fix it, they will transfer all of your data from your broken Wii to a new one, including Wii points and virtual console games. I've heard it takes about 3 to 4 weeks after sending in your broken one to get a new one.

Here is a nintendo forum topic about the problem.
http://forums.nintendo.com/nin..._tech&message.id=33963

Here is a good shot of the problem I had, this is not my picture
http://i44.photobucket.com/alb...phoidsteel/wiiover.jpg

Notice the lines in the trees and the lines under the coins, That's exactly what I had.

When I would go to the menu, this is what it looked like, again, not my picture.
http://s1974.home.comcast.net/wii_dots.JPG

Hope this helps.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
Thanks Jetblack69,

I googled my problem and it looks like A LOT of people are having the same problem. I didn't notice it on any other game, resident evil 4 is where i started to notice. I tried calling nintendo but it keeps saying they have a high call volume and to call back. Im thinking of picking up a SD card to back everything up. Some people say (through googling) that you can backup your virtual console games also. I'm going to mess around later tonight and give Nintendo a call. Thanks again for the info

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
So what happens if you do have VC games and Wii points and you need to have your console fixed? Are you only able to use option #2?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: binister
So what happens if you do have VC games and Wii points and you need to have your console fixed? Are you only able to use option #2?

AFAIK, yep.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
on the back of the wii 2gb sd card it says you can backup wii virtual console games...i just picked one up at Ebgames for $20. i also picked up the charge station....hopefully its decent.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Trader05
on the back of the wii 2gb sd card it says you can backup wii virtual console games...i just picked one up at Ebgames for $20. i also picked up the charge station....hopefully its decent.

You can probably backup and restore them to the same Wii console, but I don't think you will be able to transfer them to a new one.

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
yeah thats exactly what the nintendo rep said...that sucks! im going to send mine in since i have a lot of virtual console games.....i wonder if there's any way to hack it through a card reader to work..hmm

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
Anyone order that wiimote charger from monoprice?

I did. It looks good and seems to work well. However, 3 days can't tell you much about a battery charger.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Well I rented RE4 for the Wii. The aiming is sometimes like trying to slap a running puppy from 50 feet away with a stick of jello, but most of the time it's pretty good. Reloading takes some time to get used tp, but in battle the Wii pulls out the knife for a quick stab instead of reloading. The story is... well it's RE4, read a spoiler for the story. It was a good experience though :)

Netscorer

Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: potato28
Well I rented RE4 for the Wii. The aiming is sometimes like trying to slap a running puppy from 50 feet away with a stick of jello, but most of the time it's pretty good. Reloading takes some time to get used tp, but in battle the Wii pulls out the knife for a quick stab instead of reloading. The story is... well it's RE4, read a spoiler for the story. It was a good experience though :)

I guess, you just played for an hour or so before writing this. I actually like the aiming a lot - it is precise and intuitive to use, reminds me of the mouse controls for FPS on PC - that easy. And in order to reload the weapon and not draw the knife instead, you have to press B button and not A, when shaking your Wiimote. Once you play with the game for 3-4 hours, all these moves will come natural to you. The gameplay is great and I would definitely urge you to buy this game - at only $30 it will give you solid 60-80 hours of fun between all the missions and replaying the game on higher difficulty settings. Gush, you can even buy the game for $19 if you go to Buy.com and use Google checkout.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just tried playing a bit of RE4. Pretty neat so far, but how do you effectively use the knife?

Netscorer

Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: lupi
Just tried playing a bit of RE4. Pretty neat so far, but how do you effectively use the knife?

You don't. Knife is a very weak weapon and requires close combat which means you will get blooded as well. With health tonics being such a precious commodity early in the game, I would advise against using knife at all. You are better off by stunning your opponent, shooting at his knees and then approach and kick him (button A) - more damage, keeps other non-zombies at bay and definitely provides better satisfaction then slicing opponent somewhere below the waiste line you don't even see.

At the later staqes of the game your enemies will be so powerful, that knife isn't going to give them much damage.

The knife is being utlized often to slice barrels open, trigger bear traps and in boss fights (when explicitely prompted)