The *Official* Wii Thread...

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Originally posted by: ColdFusion718
I'm loving mine :)

How do you get other people's Mii's on your console for parades and crap? Do you have to register their name?

I also can't seem to find the Wii thread where everyone posted their Wii numbers.

Last but not least, how does the Wii 24 connect work? I have it enabled, but always have to wait for weather and news updates.... isn't it supposed to be downloading them constantly?

Here's how you do it: Go sync up your controller to their Wii. Go to the Mii channel. There's a button on the right side (Wii remote) that you can click on to copy Miis (up to 10 at a time) to your controller.

Sync your controller back up to your Wii, transfer the Miis onto your Wii. Profit!

Isn't there some way they show up over the web too?

I think you have to be friends, and then the friend has to change a setting on the Mii to let it wander. Then in the parade you can select Miis and send them to your console.

Also, shouldn't this be moved now that theres the official Console Gaming Thread?

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: BlameCanada

I think you have to be friends, and then the friend has to change a setting on the Mii to let it wander. Then in the parade you can select Miis and send them to your console.

Also, shouldn't this be moved now that theres the official Console Gaming Thread?

yup, check the wii numbers thread here if you want some quick friends to add. But, I don't know if many people keep track of that thread anymore. Your best bet is to add some, then pm them with your number so they can add you.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
If you haven't picked it up yet, get Big Brain Academy Wii Degree. Great fun for both single and multiplayer. My initial test score was 833. I expect it will take a while to raise my brain weight to 1600 like my score in the DS version.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Indolent
Originally posted by: BlameCanada

yup, check the wii numbers thread here if you want some quick friends to add. But, I don't know if many people keep track of that thread anymore. Your best bet is to add some, then pm them with your number so they can add you.

Thanks! Thats the thread I was looking for!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Going to pick up wii play (finally in stock again local) and some other games this weekend. Anything good out there for MP play (that isn't party type game, looking for something to play with the wife).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
Going to pick up wii play (finally in stock again local) and some other games this weekend. Anything good out there for MP play (that isn't party type game, looking for something to play with the wife).

Super Monkeyball banana blitz has 50 mini games, they are fun.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: sdifox

Don't get SMB:BB for the mini games. Of those, only 10 or so are really fun. The game is really for the single player. Once you get used to the controls, this is the most challenging game for the Wii right now.

The next fun two player game is Big Brain Academy. While no way as physical as Wii Sports or Rayman, the competition can just get as heated.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: eelw
Originally posted by: sdifox

Don't get SMB:BB for the mini games. Of those, only 10 or so are really fun. The game is really for the single player. Once you get used to the controls, this is the most challenging game for the Wii right now.

The next fun two player game is Big Brain Academy. While no way as physical as Wii Sports or Rayman, the competition can just get as heated.

Really? I like the minigames. Especially if my buddie is over and we are both wasted from work. That makes a very long competition. I pretty much gave up on the real game... Waay to hard for this guy.

Lol, I haven't finished a single Wii game...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I went in BB Sunday with my RZ certificate and the latest % discount ad to pick up Zelda. They also had a couple copies of Wii Play in so I finally picked one of those up too.

Zelda is very interesting so far. Not so much a quest given as hints on things to do so far. I'm only on my 2nd game day in town and just got the fishing pole. I remember some people talking about a challenge with fishing (did not read much about those post as I didn't have the game at the time), but all I've done with it is catch a fish for the cat to open up the supply store for use. Was that it or should I expect more later?

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I went in BB Sunday with my RZ certificate and the latest % discount ad to pick up Zelda. They also had a couple copies of Wii Play in so I finally picked one of those up too.

Zelda is very interesting so far. Not so much a quest given as hints on things to do so far. I'm only on my 2nd game day in town and just got the fishing pole. I remember some people talking about a challenge with fishing (did not read much about those post as I didn't have the game at the time), but all I've done with it is catch a fish for the cat to open up the supply store for use. Was that it or should I expect more later?

Well, the store you opened up, thats all they ever sell I believe. But you do need the slingshot from in there. From that point on, the game really starts to take off.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I figured the slingshot would be important, there certainly was enough talk about it as you left the house. Will have to figure out how to make money to afford it next time I play.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Resident Evil 4 comes out tomorrow. Anyone plan on getting it??? I lived with my bro at the time and we had Gamecube and I played RE4 which was awesome but I have since moved out and thinking about getting it if it is better than the original.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Yep, I will be picking up RE4 tomorrow along with Wii Degree.

I love the RE series.

Although anything would be better after wasting my time with Mario Party 8.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: binister
Yep, I will be picking up RE4 tomorrow along with Wii Degree.

I love the RE series.

Although anything would be better after wasting my time with Mario Party 8.

Let us know how RE4 is once ya have it. It's the only title I didn't get for my GC and was going to pick it up for the PC till some said the Wii version was going to be the best.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Let us know how RE4 is once ya have it. It's the only title I didn't get for my GC and was going to pick it up for the PC till some said the Wii version was going to be the best.

RE4 is one of the best games last generation. It's a must buy for those who missed it on the GC or PS2 (don't bother mentioning the crap PC version) It's the best of all worlds for the Wii edition - best graphics, all extras, pin point control.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: eelw

RE4 is one of the best games last generation. It's a must buy for those who missed it on the GC or PS2 (don't bother mentioning the crap PC version) It's the best of all worlds for the Wii edition - best graphics, all extras, pin point control.

And it's only $30 which is great since everyone usually just rehashes remakes for full price. I'm definitely going to get this when I get paid on Friday.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
All the places I went to said the release date was pushed back a day.

Best Buy told me it was pushed back until July!

Wonder why...

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: binister
All the places I went to said the release date was pushed back a day.

Best Buy told me it was pushed back until July!

Wonder why...

Yeah, no go for me either. I won't be able to stop by a store until tomorrow night. Stupid having class tomorrow. It's not like they couldn't teach themselves.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Has anyone had any problems leaving WiiConnect24 on all the time? I've heard a lot of overheating stories and damaged graphics processors in Wiis by leaving it on. Just wondering if I should turn it off when I turn the system off or just leave it on (yellow standby light)?

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Blayze
Has anyone had any problems leaving WiiConnect24 on all the time? I've heard a lot of overheating stories and damaged graphics processors in Wiis by leaving it on. Just wondering if I should turn it off when I turn the system off or just leave it on (yellow standby light)?

where are you hearing that from? I have since turned it off.. but mainly because it seemed like a waste of power. I could care less if I get messages on the wii.. I don't turn it on every day so I might miss something anyway.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: randomlinh
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Blayze
Has anyone had any problems leaving WiiConnect24 on all the time? I've heard a lot of overheating stories and damaged graphics processors in Wiis by leaving it on. Just wondering if I should turn it off when I turn the system off or just leave it on (yellow standby light)?</end quote></div>

where are you hearing that from? I have since turned it off.. but mainly because it seemed like a waste of power. I could care less if I get messages on the wii.. I don't turn it on every day so I might miss something anyway.

On a few gaming forums.

My system gets a little warm on the left side while its on, but not what I would call hot.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this damaging Wiis. I don't see why it would, but doing a search on Google it looks like lots of people say they overheat and need to turn off WiiConnect24.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Blayze
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: randomlinh
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Blayze
Has anyone had any problems leaving WiiConnect24 on all the time? I've heard a lot of overheating stories and damaged graphics processors in Wiis by leaving it on. Just wondering if I should turn it off when I turn the system off or just leave it on (yellow standby light)?</end quote></div>

where are you hearing that from? I have since turned it off.. but mainly because it seemed like a waste of power. I could care less if I get messages on the wii.. I don't turn it on every day so I might miss something anyway.</end quote></div>

On a few gaming forums.

My system gets a little warm on the left side while its on, but not what I would call hot.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this damaging Wiis. I don't see why it would, but doing a search on Google it looks like lots of people say they overheat and need to turn off WiiConnect24.

My wii got graphic problems (green and black dots/lines) and I had WiiConnect24 on all the time. I did not play my wii much except for a few hours on the weekends, so I can assume that it overheated because of the wireless, but I have no proof. I'm getting it serviced now to get it fixed. Nintendo is sending me a new one and I will ship my old one back.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
My Wii has been sitting for about a week with WiiConnect24 on and it's a tiny bit warm, but doesn't seem anywhere near overheating. A Wii only draws about 10w when wiiconnect24 is on. It's not a huge amount but I suppose leaving it off will save you a couple nickels a month.

Text