The Official Vice-Presidential Debate Thread

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I thought Biden did a superlative job, probably one of the best-if not the best-VP debate I've ever seen (I'd give Cheney in Cheney v. Edwards a #2). I got a kick out of all the pundits whining about Biden's smirking, disrespect, etc. Biden doesn't smirk, I don't even know if he is capable of it-Joe smiles, maybe a bit ruefully at times, but it is a smile. Biden was engaged, on point and on topic all time-which kept Ryan pretty much on point and on his toes as well.

I don't understand dumping on the moderator either. I didn't know much about her, but I thought her questions, especially the followups, were superb. That's the difference between having a reporter as moderator and a commentator or news anchor. Her last three questions were a bit bizarre, more suited to The View than a debate but in retrospect the abortion question elicited some valuable responses.

I think Biden won hands down-Ryan only coming close on his softball question (Bengazi) and Biden absolutely killed him on Afganistan, Iran sanctions, Syria and Social Security/Medicare. I was disappointed yet again that the GOP numbers guy refused to give any concrete numbers for their fantasy tax plan.

I will give Ryan credit though, he hung in there and did a reasonably effective job of pushing the party line. In the end he probably proved he was capable to be VP which is in reality the only real goal of this debate.

In the end, both did what they needed to do without any major fiascos. Biden did a whole lot towards firing up the Dem base again after so many got hysterical after last week's debate (see my signature, it explains a lot).

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The VP debates only matter if one of the two horribly tanks or does amazingly well. Since neither did either, the debate is relatively meaningless.

The Pres debates are the ones that actually matter.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The republican ticket should stay away from debating foreign policy

Their foreign policy game is a complete mess.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
In what way did you feel he was childish?

even last night on the right wing echo radio the complaint against Ryan was he shouldn't have been calling the Vice President by his first name Joe

I recall Biden referring to Ryan as "my friend here.." or "Mr Ryan" on a couple of occasions.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The constant interruptions were annoying. Anyway, did you notice that Biden's mike was live while Ryan was speaking and Ryan's mike was dead when Biden was speaking?

they were both talking over each other at various times

I don't know how it is possible that Ryans mike was off yet he was able to speak over Biden

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I was driving in to work today, thinking that last night was painful to watch.

I really enjoy substantive debate, especially if it is fairly moderated and both parties are held to allotted times and are required to stay on topic.

My general reaction was that we missed a great opportunity to delve deep into what has happened during the last 3 1/2 years. We also missed the opportunity to see the candidates discuss what each proposes to do, now that we have had 3.5 years of Democrat governance.

Sure, there were many topics covered, but to have two guys on stage that have deep backgrounds fail to address anything in any kind of depth makes a mockery of the opportunity.

Since there was nothing, other than maybe abortion, that was discussed with anything resembling reasonable discourse, we are left with an observation on what Joe Biden represents.

Those of you who watch the Chrissie Matthews show on MSLSD, will be well familiar with the approach he takes, ie overtalking and mocking those Republican guests he doesn't agree with, which is all of them as he is complete Democrat partisan.

Biden channeled Matthews and then trumped Matthews by derisively laughing whenever Ryan was making his statements and interrupting him over 80 times.

While I am sure that plays very well to the Democrat partisan crowd and annoys the Rs, it has not impressed those who are neutral and undecided.

Maybe to those raised on Jerry Springer and Maury Povich it is a familiar way to communicate, but a great many have been repulsed by the abject rudeness.

I listen to C-SPAN and talk radio on my long drive into work and I doubt there were more than a handful of positive comments on the substance of the debate and a whole lot of negative comments on crazy old Joe.

Does anyone really want crazy old Joe with his finger on a nuclear trigger if Obama is hit on the head with a golf ball?

The Democrats are willing to give Biden a pass on bad behavior so long as he expresses their anger toward those who represent differing opinion. But these partisan Democrats are not going to be any more energized to vote. And to turn off independents is likely to extend Romney's lead.

I do not believe Biden killed the Democrats' chances, Obama did that. But he dug the hole a little deeper.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I was driving in to work today, thinking that last night was painful to watch.

I really enjoy substantive debate, especially if it is fairly moderated and both parties are held to allotted times and are required to stay on topic.

My general reaction was that we missed a great opportunity to delve deep into what has happened during the last 3 1/2 years. We also missed the opportunity to see the candidates discuss what each proposes to do, now that we have had 3.5 years of Democrat governance.

Sure, there were many topics covered, but to have two guys on stage that have deep backgrounds fail to address anything in any kind of depth makes a mockery of the opportunity.

Since there was nothing, other than maybe abortion, that was discussed with anything resembling reasonable discourse, we are left with an observation on what Joe Biden represents.

Those of you who watch the Chrissie Matthews show on MSLSD, will be well familiar with the approach he takes, ie overtalking and mocking those Republican guests he doesn't agree with, which is all of them as he is complete Democrat partisan.

Biden channeled Matthews and then trumped Matthews by derisively laughing whenever Ryan was making his statements and interrupting him over 80 times.

While I am sure that plays very well to the Democrat partisan crowd and annoys the Rs, it has not impressed those who are neutral and undecided.

Maybe to those raised on Jerry Springer and Maury Povich it is a familiar way to communicate, but a great many have been repulsed by the abject rudeness.

I listen to C-SPAN and talk radio on my long drive into work and I doubt there were more than a handful of positive comments on the substance of the debate and a whole lot of negative comments on crazy old Joe.

Does anyone really want crazy old Joe with his finger on a nuclear trigger if Obama is hit on the head with a golf ball?

The Democrats are willing to give Biden a pass on bad behavior so long as he expresses their anger toward those who represent differing opinion. But these partisan Democrats are not going to be any more energized to vote. And to turn off independents is likely to extend Romney's lead.

I do not believe Biden killed the Democrats' chances, Obama did that. But he dug the hole a little deeper.

"It takes a tough man to make a tender forecast."

KFTC.jpg

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I am starting to think that Joe Biden's performance is going to end up like the Wellstone memorial all over again. Libs loved it but most other people didn't.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I didn't notice that.

What he doesn't consider is that Ryan being both younger and likely in better shape has a lower heartrate than ol' Joe and so Ryan is able to be dead quiet even with a live mic, while Joe is just trying to keep the oxygen comin' in between his laughs and sighs.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
What he doesn't consider is that Ryan being both younger and likely in better shape has a lower heartrate than ol' Joe and so Ryan is able to be dead quiet even with a live mic, while Joe is just trying to keep the oxygen comin' in between his laughs and sighs.
Or that Ryan just knew when to shut the hell up.:p

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I am starting to think that Joe Biden's performance is going to end up like the Wellstone memorial all over again. Libs loved it but most other people didn't.

Since "undecideds" gave the win to Biden, I'm not sure you're right there. But either way, the point was to stop the bleeding for his campaign, and I think he accomplished that by firing up the base and presenting a full-throated counter to R/R.

Since Ryan could really only lose, this was an easy win for Joe, since he obviously drank a couple 5-hour energy drinks before hitting the stage.