The Official Sony E3 2013 thread

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Are there ever deals on the PS+ membership cards? I rarely pay more than 35 for a year of XBL and now that I'm switching I'm curious.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
True for online play you will be paying basically 5 dollars a month or 60 bucks for a year. Everything else though will not require a PSN+ account. That imho was the only downside to their announcement. Everything else was Sony pouring salt on MS and XBox One (No DRM, No constantly needing to be online to "check in", being able to sell and trade your games without any hassle from Sony, etc) which includes the price of the PS4 console itself at $399.

Really wasn't a downside to me to pay $60 a year for online play. That's pocket change. If you can't afford 5 dollars a month to play online games you clearly don't live in America. I prefer to pay to be honest. When you aren't paying, servers are now put up by the game devs instead of Sony. Servers go into neglect, you end up with TERRIBLE LAGGY online play, and no one wants that.

MS has a lot of questions to answer now:
How exactly will their DRM/Used Policy work?
How does the cloud computing work?
Does it even work?
What happens if I don't have internet access or my internet goes down?

If those aren't answered with the next month, Xbox will be relying on the average consumer's ignorance to sell their console.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i wish they showed more of knack i forgot about that until just now. it looked like it had that charm of ratchet and clank. but they hardly showed any of it and it was when my stream was lagging.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
i wish they showed more of knack i forgot about that until just now. it looked like it had that charm of ratchet and clank. but they hardly showed any of it and it was when my stream was lagging.

I can guarantee you'll see tons of gameplay hands on stuff this week. It is a launch title afterall

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Are there ever deals on the PS+ membership cards? I rarely pay more than 35 for a year of XBL and now that I'm switching I'm curious.

I don't really know...I never hunted for it cause I would sign up for 3 months to play a game they give you and then let it lapse until another game comes that I haven't played lol.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
iMlwh03X3ub5s.gif

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
My one request from Sony is that they upgrade that mess called the PSN Store. I get very frustrated trying to use it on my PS3.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Was I hearing it wrong or is that streaming service going to allow you to play PS3 games on the Vita?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Really wasn't a downside to me to pay $60 a year for online play. That's pocket change. If you can't afford 5 dollars a month to play online games you clearly don't live in America. I prefer to pay to be honest. When you aren't paying, servers are now put up by the game devs instead of Sony. Servers go into neglect, you end up with TERRIBLE LAGGY online play, and no one wants that.

MS has a lot of questions to answer now:
How exactly will their DRM/Used Policy work?
How does the cloud computing work?
Does it even work?
What happens if I don't have internet access or my internet goes down?

If those aren't answered with the next month, Xbox will be relying on the average consumer's ignorance to sell their console.

I agree. Just that some people might point to it as a negative but considering all the baggage MS bundled with the Xbox it's a no brainer who has won this generation of the console wars after we finally got confirmation at E3, i.e. Sony.

Edit: Nintendo will be a player as well but Sony just flat out won the hearts and minds of gamers today.

Last edited:

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
When does Amazon charge the full price of a preorder? Thinking about preordering a PS4.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not going to count out Microsoft just yet. There's still time for them to backtrack on the DRM and slash the price. That said, the unveiling of the Xbox One was perhaps the worst I've ever seen from a major player in my 20 years of gaming. There's absolutely nothing about it that makes me want to buy their console. I think Microsoft knows they messed up bad. Now they've got to somehow reverse six months worth of negative publicity. It's going to take a lot to win their customers back. That is if they do backtrack. If they don't, well, I think they're toast. I'd like to say Microsoft is too smart to let Sony put them into a choke hold. Then again, I said they were too smart to implement this type of DRM when Sony and Nintendo weren't. I was definitely wrong about that. Redmond's been having a bad year and things don't seem to be getting better. Guess Gabe Newell was right all along. Windows 8 is bad for gaming. Though perhaps not in the way he originally thought.

As for Nintendo, I think we'll see a price cut on the 32GB Wii U to $299. This is why the 8GB models are being suddenly and mysteriously recalled right before E3. Big N is in a good position to capitalize on all this if they play their cards right, and attract more developers.

As for Sony, their presentation was well put together. I missed the first 40min but from what I say, they delivered exactly what they promised back in February. It's a good console built on a solid foundation of gaming. It's exactly what gamers and developers said they wanted. Tons of games being shown, solid exclusives, solid launch titles, easy self publishing for indie devs, no internet connection required, freely buy/sell/trade used games, stream PS3 titles, and media content that's not behind a paywall. The only downside is that PS+ is now required to play online. While it sucks, if that's really the worst of it, we made out very well. I already have a PS+ sub anyway for the monthly games.

I do wished they had mentioned more Vita stuff. Maybe that was at the beginning. They're continuing their sad tradition of ignoring the portable systems.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm not going to count out Microsoft just yet. There's still time for them to backtrack on the DRM and slash the price. That said, the unveiling of the Xbox One was perhaps the worst I've ever seen from a major player in my 20 years of gaming. There's absolutely nothing about it that makes me want to buy their console. I think Microsoft knows they messed up bad. Now they've got to somehow reverse six months worth of negative publicity. It's going to take a lot to win their customers back. That is if they do backtrack. If they don't, well, I think they're toast. I'd like to say Microsoft is too smart to let Sony put them into a choke hold. Then again, I said they were too smart to implement this type of DRM when Sony and Nintendo weren't. I was definitely wrong about that. Redmond's been having a bad year and things don't seem to be getting better. Guess Gabe Newell was right all along. Windows 8 is bad for gaming. Though perhaps not in the way he originally thought.

As for Nintendo, I think we'll see a price cut on the 32GB Wii U to $299. This is why the 8GB models are being suddenly and mysteriously recalled right before E3. Big N is in a good position to capitalize on all this if they play their cards right, and attract more developers.

As for Sony, their presentation was well put together. I missed the first 40min but from what I say, they delivered exactly what they promised back in February. It's a good console built on a solid foundation of gaming. It's exactly what gamers and developers said they wanted. Tons of games being shown, solid exclusives, solid launch titles, easy self publishing for indie devs, no internet connection required, freely buy/sell/trade used games, stream PS3 titles, and media content that's not behind a paywall. The only downside is that PS+ is now required to play online. While it sucks, if that's really the worst of it, we made out very well. I already have a PS+ sub anyway for the monthly games.

I do wished they had mentioned more Vita stuff. Maybe that was at the beginning. They're continuing their sad tradition of ignoring the portable systems.

Vita can stream PS3 games too I heard. We'll see more vita software this week.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

i skipped the first 30 minutes or so because they were talking about the vita and ps3 at that time.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't think Sony attacked EA. EA will still make Madden and such for the PS4. Microsoft just wanted them at their reveal.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Bravo Sony, Bravo. Now let's see if MS learned anything and takes a step back and rethinks things.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Gamestop is up to their old tricks. They don't want people buying consoles to resell so online they sell bundles with an extra controller and game only and they're all $500+.

Games are listed at $59.99 pricing though. Didn't someone say Amazon listed $99?