The "official" "mining beyond the Merge" thread. Are you still mining? How/why?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As I've posted in Hot Deals, here's some server chassis setups all-in for under $300, sans GPUs.

I've ordered a couple of them, planning on consolidating and re-building my rigs.

Been running 1/2/3-GPU ATX tower rigs the last few years, four of them and a server chassis are down for "maint." right now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's actually a pretty good deal, wonder if it takes a standard motherboard, would make a nice server case if storage is not really needed (Ex: VM server). As for mining I stopped a while back but at some point I might try mining off solar for fun using excess power and those little USB ant miners or something. I wouldn't expect to make much if anything. Just need to setup the automation stuff on my solar system so I can control relays based on battery voltage. And probably something to shut down the miner more gracefully than flipping a switch. Not really complicated to do just need to actually sit down and solder it up and program it. When I was mining eth off hydro I felt it was not really worth it for the hydro usage and I couldn't get enough GPUs to make it worthwhile so I was years away from making any profit. It may have been a mistake to stop though as the price of eth is way higher now than it was when I was mining originally so probably could have made myself a couple grand had I mined to the end until PoS. I sold off one of the GPUs and other is in my gaming machine. I still have the case though, built it myself, it can house 2 PSUs and 7-8 cards + the motherboard. (8 is cutting it close as they won't have much breathing room). I will probably end up repurposing the case for an entirely different purpose at some point.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Whoa. So your telling me I could be making an entire $1 a day! Please sign me up to your newsletter...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

BrandonCoin - "Should I upgrade to an RTX 4090 - for mining"? Short answer, probably not, 10-year ROI just about.

I'm actually totally out of mining right now, selling off all of my mining cards. And I do mean all of them.