The official ATOT Fast Food discussion thread

Page 63 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like stupid heat with some stuff, but I've backed off a bit in recent years, and made habanero my stock heat level. That said, I just got a few bottles of Carolina Reaper sauce made for BigLots of all things. Seems like an odd choice for a 'store brand', but it's really good. Made in Costa Rica, but it isn't chunky like the habanero sauces. Nice flavor, and the heat isn't overwhelming. I've had hotter sauces made from technically less hot chilis.

edit:
on the subject, I'm absolutely not interested in any extract sauces. If it isn't made with crushed pepper and ingredients for flavor, I'm not interested. Any chemist can make things hot. I like the art of growing plants, and blending them to taste good.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I like stupid heat with some stuff, but I've backed off a bit in recent years, and made habanero my stock heat level. That said, I just got a few bottles of Carolina Reaper sauce made for BigLots of all things. Seems like an odd choice for a 'store brand', but it's really good. Made in Costa Rica, but it isn't chunky like the habanero sauces. Nice flavor, and the heat isn't overwhelming. I've had hotter sauces made from technically less hot chilis.

edit:
on the subject, I'm absolutely not interested in any extract sauces. If it isn't made with crushed pepper and ingredients for flavor, I'm not interested. Any chemist can make things hot. I like the art of growing plants, and blending them to taste good.

Funny I got some of that Carolina Reaper sauce like 2-3 weeks ago. I liked it too but I didn't find it all that hot after like the second bite. This is where the serious stuff is just really kicking into gear IME.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Funny how peppers are different. Habanero seems to be a slow ramp up to hell. Years ago, a coworker brought in some habaneros for me to try. I took a bite, and thought "That's pretty good", and narfed down the rest. Holy shit that hit me hard. I got to the jobsite almost stoned from the heat, sitting in the shitter in the middle of summer, and wishing I was dead. I thought I might have to go home. I haven't had a habanero that hot since, but they all seem to have that characteristic of starting mellow, then really laying on the fire.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
popeyes puts mayo on their chicken sandwich, which is also required for the "spicy" part of it, two major fouls. Like, humanity-ending fouls.

Popeyes chicken sandwich can not be defended by anyone with any moral center. It is an affront.
order it dry and douse it with a couple packets of louisana hot sauce.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Bummer that those have so much added sugar in them. They seem like they would make a good snack on Keto if not for the sugar.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Bummer that those have so much added sugar in them. They seem like they would make a good snack on Keto if not for the sugar.

From the comments, it appears that they were pretty keto-friendly before, but then added sugar for flavor at some point.

I believe these are freeze-dried, not fried. Their website says they're cooked at a low temperature, so not exactly sure what the process is. Someday when I get a Harvest Right home freezer dryer, I'll have to compare haha! They are REALLY good though...you can much on them like popcorn while watching a show!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tried the new Snickers Brownie bar. It was...lackluster. Not bad, just not exciting. The brownie basically replaces the nougat, but is so small that you don't really feel like you're getting the whole biting-into-a-brownie experience. It's almost more fudgy than anything. I think I may try making like a homemade Klondike-sized copycat with better ingredients, so that I get a better flavor & a better brownie bite in each bite.

1606541502229.png

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I went to Burger King yesterday for the first time since March. I bought me the new and improved whopper (all natural blah blah blah) and some fries.

That was a damn fine burger. Way better than anything at McDonald's.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I went to Burger King yesterday for the first time since March. I bought me the new and improved whopper (all natural blah blah blah) and some fries.

eh? frozen burger from supermarket is better than McD...

Reactions: Iron Woode

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

No way. Burger King is absolute worst. Anything at McDonald's is better than anything at Burger King.

eh? frozen burger from supermarket is better than McD...
McD is one of the better fast food joints. Worldwide, it's probably the best.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Nothing is better than BurgerKing. Literally. I'd rather have nothing than eat their disasters on a bun.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a burger king vs Mcdonalds thread with fighting like what happens in the tech section. Can we all agree that both can give good good performance, and both have applications for different users?

Uh, I mean, both taste good :p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No way. Burger King is absolute worst. Anything at McDonald's is better than anything at Burger King.

Sorry ... McDonalds isn't the "best" in anything food related unless you want to go with making a crap-ton of money off sugar/fat/chemical laced garbage.

Of course neither is Burger King.

One thing I will give McDonalds though ... if you find yourself out in the middle of East Bum-fvck and need to eat something NOW its pretty consistent no matter where you are in the US. (plus there's nearly always one open 24-hours with a drive-through)

Both chains have improved some of their burgers/food significantly over the years (with a glaring exception in McD's fries) but they still have a long ways to go compared to food that really IS high-quality.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a burger king vs Mcdonalds thread

Uh, I mean, both taste good :p

Many folks seem to have difficulty with the simple concept illustrated below for some reason.

Strawberry ice-cream is :

the BEST FLAVOR EVAR!!11!!1! :rolleyes:

VS:

Strawberry ice cream is :

MY FAVORITE FLAVOR. :cool:

Subtle but a significant difference nonetheless! ;)

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Sorry ... McDonalds isn't the "best" in anything food related unless you want to go with making a crap-ton of money off sugar/fat/chemical laced garbage.

Of course neither is Burger King.

One thing I will give McDonalds though ... if you find yourself out in the middle of East Bum-fvck and need to eat something NOW its pretty consistent no matter where you are in the US. (plus there's nearly always one open 24-hours with a drive-through)

Both chains have improved some of their burgers/food significantly over the years (with a glaring exception in McD's fries) but they still have a long ways to go compared to food that really IS high-quality.
People love to shit on McDonalds but like I said, there's not better fast food chain in the world. They're #1 for a reason. They are incredibly consistent and have great R&D and quality control. Even with all the changes over the years, Big Mac and Quarter Pounder with cheese are still pretty close to how it tasted when I was a kid. Same with their nuggets. McDonalds fries have changed for the worse but it's still solid and I understand why they had to change the fries. McDonald's breakfast like the sausage, egg, cheese McMuffin and hash brown are still tough to beat. Even McDonalds coffee is pretty solid for fast food.

But Burger King has gone absolute shit. The Whopper is no longer edible. The Whopper was probably the best fast food burger when I was growing up. BK Whopper and Wendy's Single was neck and neck for the best burger. But ever since Burger King was sold to the hedge fund, BK and Whopper have declined in quality to the point it's the only fast food restaurant I refuse to eat. Nothing at Burger King is good anymore. Burger King is classic example where accountants and profit driven hedge fund ruined what was once great burger. I can't think of other chain where the quality has decreased so drastically like Burger King.

I know there are other fast food with better burgers like In-N-Out and Whataburger but those are only regional chains. Nationally, I think Wendy's Double is the best followed by McDonald's Quarter Pounder with cheese or Big Mac. But if I'm at a place where there is everything, I'm going to Whataburger > In-N-Out > Wendy's > McDonald's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Burger King. There would have to be nothing else available to eat for me to eat at Burger King.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
People love to shit on McDonalds but like I said, there's not better fast food chain in the world. They're #1 for a reason. They are incredibly consistent and have great R&D and quality control. Even with all the changes over the years, Big Mac and Quarter Pounder with cheese are still pretty close to how it tasted when I was a kid. Same with their nuggets. McDonalds fries have changed for the worse but it's still solid and I understand why they had to change the fries. McDonald's breakfast like the sausage, egg, cheese McMuffin and hash brown are still tough to beat. Even McDonalds coffee is pretty solid for fast food.

But Burger King has gone absolute shit. The Whopper is no longer edible. The Whopper was probably the best fast food burger when I was growing up. BK Whopper and Wendy's Single was neck and neck for the best burger. But ever since Burger King was sold to the hedge fund, BK and Whopper have declined in quality to the point it's the only fast food restaurant I refuse to eat. Nothing at Burger King is good anymore. Burger King is classic example where accountants and profit driven hedge fund ruined what was once great burger. I can't think of other chain where the quality has decreased so drastically like Burger King.

I know there are other fast food with better burgers like In-N-Out and Whataburger but those are only regional chains. Nationally, I think Wendy's Double is the best followed by McDonald's Quarter Pounder with cheese or Big Mac. But if I'm at a place where there is everything, I'm going to Whataburger > In-N-Out > Wendy's > McDonald's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Burger King. There would have to be nothing else available to eat for me to eat at Burger King.

The Quarter-Pounder and all the McD's burgers that get the newer non-frozen patties do taste and look much better. Nuggets and a lot of other stuff is worse. Even so the only thing I break down and get there once in awhile is breakfast unless its 3am.

Speaking of McDonald's breakfast ... if you want to temper your enthusiasm for the place a little bit Google "McDonald's eggs". Last time I checked scrambled eggs should not have an inch long list of ingredients.

Name me better worldwide FF joint. Chick-fil-A is better but it's not even 100% national and has virtually zero presence outside of the US.

No question about it .... McDonalds is extremely successful.

The food is not high quality at all however. Analyze what they put in it using information not included in a McDonalds ad and see if you still want to eat it.

People love to $hit on McDonalds for a good reason.

This however in no way means you have to start liking BK! ;)

burger-king-creepy-food-restaurant-2166764800

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Google "McDonald's eggs". Last time I checked scrambled eggs should not have an inch long list of ingredients.
The scrambled eggs are egg and citric acid. The McMuffin eggs are eggs.

McDonalds has some of my favorite breakfasts available anywhere, certainly 1k miles ahead of any other takeout fastfood.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Name me better worldwide FF joint. Chick-fil-A is better but it's not even 100% national and has virtually zero presence outside of the US.

Wendy's food is much better than McD. It has less global reach compared to McD.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The scrambled eggs are egg and citric acid. The McMuffin eggs are eggs.

McDonalds has some of my favorite breakfasts available anywhere, certainly 1k miles ahead of any other takeout fastfood.

Nothing I like better than that dang Sausage Biscuit w/egg! (with the "round-egg" ie McMuffin egg ... which btw STILL manages to look somehow different than ANY fried egg I've ever cooked!)

Unfortunately from what I've read the scrambled eggs at McD's along with the McNuggets and multiple other super-processed menu items have a long list of suspect ingredients in small enough amounts that they're not required to be listed.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Nothing I like better than that dang Sausage Biscuit w/egg! (with the "round-egg" ie McMuffin egg)

Unfortunately from what I've read the scrambled eggs at McD's along with the McNuggets and multiple other super-processed menu items have a long list of suspect ingredients in small enough amounts that they're not required to be listed.

Only true in America. You should try McD in Canada. They actually crack an egg that comes in cardboard trays. I cannot stomach McD USA food at all. I would rather eat crackers. But even from McD Canada, I would ask for no cheese. That stuff is vile.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Only true in America. You should try McD in Canada. They actually crack an egg that comes in cardboard trays. I cannot stomach McD USA food at all. I would rather eat crackers.

The "round-egg" in the US McD's is done the same way ... it's a lot better than the scrambled kind even if still a little sketchy. The scrambled eggs that they pour out of a big carton are the really nasty ones.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

I hate to say you are wrong but....

That whopper was great. Yes, I can make a better burger but as far as fast food goes BK > McD's.