the obama xmas photo on new yorker cover...

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
obama new yorker cover...can't believe that there's not a thread on this yet...

i, personally am outraged...

first, that they show him in the oval office, an obvious falsehood...

second, that they didn't include his kids... oh, wait, this week he's not using his kids in the campaign, they would have had to wait until next week to do the cover if they wanted to use the kids... or is it every third week???

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Oh, it's not that bad. It's nothing that hasn't been expressed in words already by the people who would visualize him like that. And the point of the article of the New Yorker is to lampoon the extreme right, not to perpetuate their ideas.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
It's aimed at the elite sophisticated 1% of the population - teh rednecks love it

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Republican John McCain's campaign spokesman, Tucker Bonds, agreed that the cover was "tasteless and offensive."

Apparently Obama and McCain can agree on something. ;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
Republican John McCain's campaign spokesman, Tucker Bonds, agreed that the cover was "tasteless and offensive."

Apparently Obama and McCain can agree on something. ;)

their overwhelming fear of possibly offending someone?

I think it's pretty funny... then again, I also thought that uncle tom's cabin headline in that german newspaper was funny too.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jman19
Yeah, it's making fun of the loonies who think he's a Muslem extremist in disguise.

At least they'll have some fresh material for their chain Emails and they wont even have to doctor the pics! :laugh:

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Being satire, I can see the humor in it.

Unfortunately, the New Yorker should have realized how their satire will be used to promote those unfounded stereotypes of Obama and, for many ignorant voters, it will reinforce those stereotypes.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Actually, on second thought, with the flag in the fire and OBL on the wall, could it be the most accurate depiction of BHO and his wife to date?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: child of wonder

Unfortunately, the New Yorker should have realized how their satire will be used to promote those unfounded stereotypes of Obama and, for many ignorant voters, it will reinforce those stereotypes.

IMO those who are too ignorant to see past this and find humor weren't going to vote for that 'militant, anti-US, muslim, black guy' anyway. No harm to the Obama in the end.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Funny it is until one realizes the many voters aren't sophisticated enough to see it for what it is and might instead take it at face value , especially those that may believe
Obama is a muslim because their brother's best friend sister's boyfriend's cousin's father's uncle heard it at the bar but still haven't made up their minds.

Here is a perfect example of those type of people still on the fence that shouldn't be discounted because of the presumption that they weren't going to vote for him anyway

He believes a smart vote is an American's greatest responsibility. Which is why his confusion about Barack Obama continues to eat at him.

On the television in his living room, Peterman has watched enough news and campaign advertisements to hear the truth: Sen. Barack Obama, born in Hawaii, is a Christian family man with a track record of public service. But on the Internet, in his grocery store, at his neighbor's house, at his son's auto shop, Peterman has also absorbed another version of the Democratic candidate's background, one that is entirely false: Barack Obama, born in Africa, is a possibly gay Muslim racist who refuses to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

"It's like you're hearing about two different men with nothing in common," Peterman said. "It makes it impossible to figure out what's true, or what you can believe."

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
It is probably frontpage news on Stormfront or places like that.. they probably say "the truth often reveals itself in jest"

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

IMO those who are too ignorant to see past this and find humor weren't going to vote for that 'militant, anti-US, muslim, black guy' anyway. No harm to the Obama in the end.

Many southerners might have been having concerns about perpetual war and sending their children to die... and might have been upset with McSame... but they would rather let their children die than put a mooslem in the white house.. that is how they think

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006

No, those people probably won't vote for him.

However, I overheard a conversation in which an undecided voter said she was going to register to vote for the first time in years and pledge her ballet for McCain because Obama refuses to wear a flag pin or recite the national anthem.

It's not getting the stupid vote, it's stopping the stupid vote from mobilizing against him.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think it's pretty funny, but much of America is too stupid to understand the satirical nature of the image.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: yllus
Oh, it's not that bad. It's nothing that hasn't been expressed in words already by the people who would visualize him like that. And the point of the article of the New Yorker is to lampoon the extreme right, not to perpetuate their ideas.

While I'm not sure what your definintion of "extreme right" is, I think they are lampooning those "bitter people who cling to their religion and guns". The ones too stupid, afraid or uninformed to know that the "Obama is a Muslim" stuff is untrue.

Elitism rears it's head in the campaign again.

All-in-all, I don't think it's a plus for Obama.

Fern

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Anybody that?s offended by it can fall into a black hole. I think satire is beyond most Americans, sad.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Never quite understood why elitism is bad in a presidential election. In theory we're looking for the single smartest/most capable/best person in a country of 300 million people to lead us in life or death situations for 4 to 8 years. Am I the only one who wants someone elite? I don't want someone I can share a beer with.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Actually Obama IS OSAMA!

Have you EVER seen them in the same room together?

Hmmmm....well have you?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I'm offended. They left out the dart-filled poster of Hillary you know he has hanging on his wall.