The NRA’s internal revolt over Philando Castile

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
The NRA rushed to mourn dead Dallas PD officers, but has been silent on the death of a licensed gun owner at the hands of police.

http://fusion.net/story/323189/nra-members-response-philando-castile-shooting/

http://www.mediaite.com/online/the-nra-releases-statement-on-dallas-shooting/

13600328_10154482758091833_8804020054306233409_n.jpg

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The NRA is at the end of the day a white supremacist organization. Had the police shot a white licensed gun owner, the NRA would have put out a statement denouncing it.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I wasn't aware the NRA is obligated to agree with you, did I miss a memo?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You've still never explained why anything is really wrong ever, OP.

For being as antigun as you are to begin with that avatar has always been a bit of a joke.

You should have Bugs Bunny or something.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
It couldn't be due the fact that in the later case it's not fully known what transpired.

@traaashman I don't where you live but in my travels throughout the US I see NRA stickers on quite a few vehicles owned by minorities, about 35% to 40% of the vechicles that have the sticker displayed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You make it sound like they are actively resisting showing solidarity for a black man. I can't believe they'd stoop to that. You are indignant because they have not taken an action you want. That alone is not enough to prove anything.

As for Dallas, that was a significant act of terror on the scale of the Boston bombers. Worst day for police since September 11th. Its impact is going to cause headlines and responses.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It couldn't be due the fact that in the later case it's not fully known what transpired.

@traaashman I don't where you live but in my travels throughout the US I see NRA stickers on quite a few vehicles owned by minorities, about 35% to 40% of the vechicles that have the sticker displayed.

Considering the fact that minorities in the US pretty overwhelmingly support increased gun control it's likely you aren't seeing a very representative sample.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Considering the fact that minorities in the US pretty overwhelmingly support increased gun control it's likely you aren't seeing a very representative sample.

So you can't be bothered to provide any stats, huh?

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000

Is there a link available? I would like to read more.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
The NRA rushed to mourn dead Dallas PD officers, but has been silent on the death of a licensed gun owner at the hands of police.
13600328_10154482758091833_8804020054306233409_n.jpg

I posted links to 3 different gun forums when news of the shooting first broke and the initial sentiment was was entirely in support of the deceased. More information has come to light and the NRA probably doesn't want to officially jump in with both feet because then you'll turn around and blame them for supporting a "gun enthusiast" who was doing it wrong.

The Dallas PD officers were unequivocally victims, they had absolutely nothing to do with the unfortunate shootings in two other states.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Not to sound cynical, but that could almost camoflauge in some areas with a few people.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
The NRA is at the end of the day a white supremacist organization. Had the police shot a white licensed gun owner, the NRA would have put out a statement denouncing it.

At the end of the day they are an industry lobby group aiming to sell more product. Their driving motivation is greed, not morals.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
It looks like they released a statement:

"Update: The NRA has released a statement saying that while it finds “[t]he reports from Minnesota troubling…it is important for the NRA not to comment while the investigation is ongoing.” The statement does not mention Philando Castile’s name or police involvement."

This is likely the right move by the NRA to respond indirectly. I think more people/organizations should get the whole facts before coming to a conclusion. Although it looks bad at first, we still don't know what happened before the camera turned on.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

"Update: The NRA has released a statement saying that while it finds “[t]he reports from Minnesota troubling…it is important for the NRA not to comment while the investigation is ongoing.” The statement does not mention Philando Castile’s name or police involvement."

This is likely the right move by the NRA to respond indirectly. I think more people/organizations should get the whole facts before coming to a conclusion. Although it looks bad at first, we still don't know what happened before the camera turned on.

Aren't the Dallas shootings still being investigated?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think they dropped the ball on this shooting. A CC holder gets shot by a cop for doing what the cop tells him to do and the NRA gives the party line of waiting on the investigation. But it doesnt surprise me. Most people seem more outraged at the Dallas shootings than some poor guy with his family being shot by an incompetent cop.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
The NRA isn't out to defend the 2A for anyone but gun manufacturers. They're a despicable organization and part of the problem.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Two completely different situations. The Dallas shooter was targeting and killing cops. He left his house to kill police. Easy to back up the police here, anyone would. The other case is certainly leaning toward the CCW owner being unjustifiably killed, but in that case it would be better to wait before jumping in head first.

I can see why they are waiting.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
At the end of the day they are an industry lobby group aiming to sell more product. Their driving motivation is greed, not morals.

That's what they've become anyway. Didn't used to be the case but job one is now to scare the morons into scooping up everything they can get their hands on. I gave up my membership years ago.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

Bingo.... More importantly the fact of whether or not he was legally concealed carrying is not actually verified last I knew.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Aren't the Dallas shootings still being investigated?

Yes? Fact remains, 5 officers who were there doing their jobs died that night in a racially motivated attack. There are enough facts there for someone to take a stand with.

The MN Shooting? Lots of unknowns and only a lot of public opinion based off of a video taken after the shooting occurred.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

That statement is flat out wrong.

<-- 0% white NRA endowment member.