The next Twitter will be....

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Right now it really is looking like Threads is next in line. I got a Bluesky invite from a poster here a couple months ago or so and it got boring fast. Just such a small userbase due to the exclusivity of the invite only model. Also while Zuck sucks, Jack endorsed RFK Jr for prezzie, so either way you look at it, you aren't dealing with a better human on either platform. The Threads Europe launch was a really nice welcome to get voices from that side of the pond as well.

Threads just has much more activity and interaction. You do see some shady admin stuff happening there, though nothing like X, but just some heavy handedness. It certainly doesn't feel like what we all know is the Q-level right wing nutty shittiness of Musk though - so it's different.

Also, in the last six weeks or so there has been an influx of right wing trash on Threads, from both established right wing hacks and politicians, but also tons of regular dumbfuck maga and bots and trolls. They are getting bored of X which is now run by a racist fascists for racist fascist - too many of their filth on there and not enough decent people to fuck with and/or piss off.

But I am approaching Threads differently than I did Twitter - if I see a moron MAGA post I'll usually instantly block, or respond once to have it in the record, then block, so I don't have to hear the trash type back or ever again. It's become real easy to tell who are the unreachable now and totally not worth any of my mental time. Which includes ever seeing them say anything ever again.

I get enough of the shittiness of MAGA from other sources, I don't need it to litter my Threads feed. It's working out much better as a platform for me because of that.

It's time to be better by learning from the tons of history we have at our disposal. These people are the same people of any shitty horrific authoritarian movement from Nazis, to Mussolini or Franco fascists, or Maoist cultural revolutionaries or Stalinists or the Shah in Iran or Pinochet in Chile - these people have gone down a path, and in a different timeline with different resources, many could have turned out better. But it's time to understand when to call evil out and not engage. Draw the battle lines. Don't be naive and stupid like has happened a million times in human history with these people.

Mar 11, 2004
Neither will be the next Twitter. The only "next Twitter" will be if Apple or someone buys the name and makes a duplicate of what it was. Which I honestly don't know why someone hasn't tried that yet. Or maybe they have and Musk has smartly - by that I mean he recognizes that would almost instantly cause XTwitter to die as advertisers and any half-decent people flee to it - refused to sell it, recognizing its value is more than XTwitter. But its probably just a matter of time til he becomes desperate for the money and/or someone offers enough to sway him. Then again I feel like he's so personally angry about how Twitter exposed him for the piece of shit he is that he wants it dead and will refuse to ever sell it out of spite.

They're going somewhere other than XTwitter because only some of them are being paid while many are losing viewers. Even they see how Musk protects people he directly likes and most of them have been bitching about him not supporting them well enough. Hell I think even some of the ones Musk was paying have said they make more elsewhere, so it really is probably like 100 of the right wing shitheads that find it viable due to Musk likely manipulating the algorithm.

But, why do you need a Twitter replacement? There's a reason that, even before Musk, people that would stop posting and doom-scrolling on social media felt increased happiness. Unless you're using it to connect to people you are or were close with (but can't be close to physically, aka you live far enough apart to not meetup in person), you'd objectively be better off finding something else to occupy your time.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Neither will be the next Twitter. The only "next Twitter" will be if Apple or someone buys the name and makes a duplicate of what it was. Which I honestly don't know why someone hasn't tried that yet. Or maybe they have and Musk has smartly - by that I mean he recognizes that would almost instantly cause XTwitter to die as advertisers and any half-decent people flee to it - refused to sell it, recognizing its value is more than XTwitter. But its probably just a matter of time til he becomes desperate for the money and/or someone offers enough to sway him. Then again I feel like he's so personally angry about how Twitter exposed him for the piece of shit he is that he wants it dead and will refuse to ever sell it out of spite.

They're going somewhere other than XTwitter because only some of them are being paid while many are losing viewers. Even they see how Musk protects people he directly likes and most of them have been bitching about him not supporting them well enough. Hell I think even some of the ones Musk was paying have said they make more elsewhere, so it really is probably like 100 of the right wing shitheads that find it viable due to Musk likely manipulating the algorithm.

But, why do you need a Twitter replacement? There's a reason that, even before Musk, people that would stop posting and doom-scrolling on social media felt increased happiness. Unless you're using it to connect to people you are or were close with (but can't be close to physically, aka you live far enough apart to not meetup in person), you'd objectively be better off finding something else to occupy your time.

A lot of people enjoy a place for a positive exchange of ideas, in short form, and also for informative reasons, whether it's for sports scores and updates or transit updates from official accounts. And official and verified accounts are coming to Threads, and that is good not only because they are valuable resources, but also gives people more reason to leave X, and that is only a good thing.

Overall some social media can be a positive for many people if used correctly. Of course there are many negatives to social media, I'm not sure where I denied that, I am highly aware of that. Social media is here to stay, I prefer to deal with that reality than stick my head in the sand, and having a Twitter like service that has evolved from that model upward is not inherently a bad thing. This is the world we live in, I'm not trying to create a utopia, I'm talking about reality.

Last edited: