The new pope looks like satan

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Gurck
If his name is Joseph Ratzinger why is he called Pope Benedict?

It's a tradition to take another name when you take the position of the Pope.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ
Ah, thanks, had been curious.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Yep. Most of the time it's actually to honor previous popes, Saints, or Apostles. It's quite interesting as to the meaning behind some of the names.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000

Yep. Most of the time it's actually to honor previous popes, Saints, or Apostles. It's quite interesting as to the meaning behind some of the names.

IIRC Benedict was an early European saint.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: Nik
Originally posted by: jadinolf
What resistance????

I'm sorry, did someone hold a gun to his head saying "join the hitler youth or die"? Well even if they did, he chose the hitler youth over standing up for what's right and taking a bullet for it.

Who cares.

He made the conscious decision to join the Nazis.
I can gaurandamntee, that give the same choice, you would have done the same thing. Legitimate fear of death has a way of changing your mind real quick.
And just because someone served in the army doesn't mean they were an evil Jew hating bastard. There are plenty of reports of high ranking Nazi officalls giving aid to jews and prisoners because they knew what was going on was wrong, but if they spoke up, not only would they suffer, but their families would suffer.

My previous post was a joke, albeit a bad one, but your post is outright stupid.

:thumbsup:

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
holy cow..u stone casting saints...i'd love to see u in the same situation.

look, when ur like 10yrs old, and your parents and the media, your friends, and the friggin army/country TELLS u to join some damn club..u fvckin do it OK? Anyone here who says they're different is a liar and a hypocrite.

exilera

Apr 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused
Folks, I'm an agnostic and highly anti-religion.

But targeting the pope for this is just wrong, and will do nothing but cause a backlash.

I agree, but he does look kinda devilish...

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: exilera
Folks, I'm an agnostic and highly anti-religion.

But targeting the pope for this is just wrong, and will do nothing but cause a backlash.

I agree, but he does look kinda devilish...

I think Amused was talking about implying he was a Nazi.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
What resistance????

I'm sorry, did someone hold a gun to his head saying "join the hitler youth or die"? Well even if they did, he chose the hitler youth over standing up for what's right and taking a bullet for it.

Who cares.

Since you've already been owned by the facts I will only say this:

Maybe you should at least TRY to know what you're talking about before forming an opinion on a subject? Even more so before voicing such ignorance?

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
What resistance????

Who cares.

Since you've already been owned by the facts I will only say this:

Maybe you should at least TRY to know what you're talking about before forming an opinion on a subject? Even more so before voicing such ignorance?

People calling him a Nazi are really foolish.. my grandpa was in a similar situation and he basically ran off into the woods for a few years, finally joining the German military when the war was coming to an end. It seems to me that Ratzinger did something similar, he went ahead and joined the Hitler Youth as is was cumpolsory, but when it came time to actually join the army and start killing people he got out as soon as possible. That's why he was a POW, not because he was captured while bravely fighting the Allies but because he wanted to be captured to escape Hitler.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I have to say that this ex hitler-youth is definitely not the friendly looking guy that John Paul was.

You bother to read anything about his history? Yes, he was in the Hitler Youth. Almost every kid in germany was, it was mandatory. he skipped all the meetings. His family was strongly anti-nazi.

Not saying that I support him, I wish they had picked someone more progressive, but don't attack him for his history when you don't know a damn thing about it.

kreactor

Jan 3, 2005
told my coworkers the same thing....

in another photo (side view) he looks like joe pesci (sp)

funny just saw eurotrip and that has a part about pope inauguration