The New Doctor Who is M/F ... (Revealed inside)

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

It is going to be a Man Women.

Since the 'King' of England is a Woman (Queen).
The UK Prime Minister is again a Women (Theresa May).

So I guess it is fair enough that 'Doctor Who' is now going to be a women, for the first time.

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman
_96965927_jodiebbc.jpg

Image captionWhittaker was announced in a trailer after the Wimbledon men's final
Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to get the role.

She was revealed in a trailer that was broadcast on BBC One at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took the role in 2013 and leaves in this year's Christmas special.

Whittaker, 35, said it was "more than an honour" to become the Doctor.

She will make her debut on the sci-fi show when the Doctor regenerates in the Christmas Day show.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've tried several times over the decades to watch this show. Never could get in to it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's about time, really. Not that the show has to cast the role perfectly equally from here on out, but it was important to take that first step and show that the Doctor doesn't have to be male for all eternity. Give women a sci-fi heroine they can look up to.

The hilarious bit, of course, is all the misogynist men on social networks raging about this supposedly sinister bid to pander to the "SJWs" (read: people who actually give a damn about social groups beyond their own). "How dare they produce a TV show whose protagonist doesn't reflect my gender!" they wail without a trace of irony, forgetting what it's been like for women since 1963...

Reactions: SOFTengCOMPelec

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As expected, the internet is being quite sexist:

nv5Niy9.jpg

There used to be a time when I would laugh. Now I just wonder what kind of asshole I used to be.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
As expected, the internet is being quite sexist:

nv5Niy9.jpg

There used to be a time when I would laugh. Now I just wonder what kind of asshole I used to be.

Well, the first female to portray the doctor was actually Joanna Lumley and the first thing she did was examine her boobies. :p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Also:

Theres already about a dozen memes floating around saying she should cook and clean and find a man to service.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
Well, the first female to portray the doctor was actually Joanna Lumley and the first thing she did was examine her boobies. :p

I'm not sure if you are joking or serious.

That was NOT actually REAL Doctor who. It is a comedy related, charity money raising (Comic Relief) set of programmes.

But technically speaking, you are right. It just wasn't the actual Doctor Who set of programmes.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Curious to see how she does. I was not a fan of Peter Capaldi. Watched a couple episodes, but just couldn't get into him...his character seemed like angry old man who I couldn't understand lol. I was a big Eccleston fan, grew to like Tennant, and Matt Smith eventually grew on me, but not Capaldi. Maybe I need to give him another chance.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I was not a fan of Peter Capaldi. Watched a couple episodes, but just couldn't get into him...his character seemed like angry old man...

See that sounds like the perfect Doctor to me. He is old and there's lots of stuff going on to make him angry.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
See that sounds like the perfect Doctor to me. He is old and there's lots of stuff going on to make him angry.

I have a friend who was into the original Doctor Who & said Capaldi matches them a lot better than the newer guys & that he was the first new doctor he actually liked because he stayed true to the originals.

My biggest problem was that I couldn't understand what he was saying. His accent & voice made it really difficult for me to hear his words. Maybe I'll give it another chance with subtitles...

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
Am kinda surprised they didnt ask Benedict Cumberbatch.

Or maybe they did and he turned it down.

Yes, he would have made a good choice.

I'm suspicious, that PC (Political Correctness), has crept into their decision making process, big time. The last two choices, including the first woman Dr Who.

Maybe next time there is a new actor in the programme, there will be an Orange faced (i.e. connected to Trump), Lesbian, Dwarf, with disabilities (rides in a wheelchair), and a strong Irish accent. Who wears some kind of religious clothing, all the time. Who supports communism, is from a very, very poor background and who has had at least one gender changing operation, ten years earlier. Who can't speak any English, so has to use a translator.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Am kinda surprised they didnt ask Benedict Cumberbatch.

Or maybe they did and he turned it down.

If he'd landed the role of the Doctor, he'd basically have a monopoly on beloved modern BBC shows. (Real answer: he likely wants to leave himself open for more lucrative / creatively interesting movie deals)

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
So much for him only being good for twelve regenerations.

Presumably the 2017 Christmas edition, where the Doctor, "Changes"/regenerates to the new Doctor. May answer such questions. As some of the big time Dr Who fans, will heavily worry and criticize, stuff like that.
Hopefully it won't leave any loose ends.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Presumably the 2017 Christmas edition, where the Doctor, "Changes"/regenerates to the new Doctor. May answer such questions. As some of the big time Dr Who fans, will heavily worry and criticize, stuff like that.
Hopefully it won't leave any loose ends.
Actually Google tells me that they already covered this when they brought Capaldi in. Crisis averted.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yes, he would have made a good choice.

I'm suspicious, that PC (Political Correctness), has crept into their decision making process, big time. The last two choices, including the first woman Dr Who.

Maybe next time there is a new actor in the programme, there will be an Orange faced (i.e. connected to Trump), Lesbian, Dwarf, with disabilities (rides in a wheelchair), and a strong Irish accent. Who wears some kind of religious clothing, all the time. Who supports communism, is from a very, very poor background and who has had at least one gender changing operation, ten years earlier. Who can't speak any English, so has to use a translator.

Or they could have just decided that it'd be nice to have a woman in the role for once after 54 years of men, and give girls everywhere a role model that they so rarely have in sci-fi shows.

Assigning a whopping two roles to people who don't fit existing gender/skin color/sexual orientation patterns doesn't mean white straight men are suddenly an endangered species. In a sense, you're reinforcing the reason why these sorts of changes should happen -- it'll shake us out of our assumption that certain characters must always be played by men, or straight women, or white people. You don't need to represent absolutely everyone all the time, but breaking out of that comfort zone helps much more than it hurts.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
Actually Google tells me that they already covered this when they brought Capaldi in. Crisis averted.

Now you mention it. I can remember there was the same problem, with Capaldi's introduction. So I guess they somewhat permanently solved the issue. The Christmas 2017 programme, still needs to explain how the Doctor Who goes from being "dead" and left in the Tardis (from what I could tell, from the last episode), to a normal regeneration. But I guess they will cover that, in that episode.

Or they could have just decided that it'd be nice to have a woman in the role for once after 54 years of men, and give girls everywhere a role model that they so rarely have in sci-fi shows.

Assigning a whopping two roles to people who don't fit existing gender/skin color/sexual orientation patterns doesn't mean white straight men are suddenly an endangered species. In a sense, you're reinforcing the reason why these sorts of changes should happen -- it'll shake us out of our assumption that certain characters must always be played by men, or straight women, or white people. You don't need to represent absolutely everyone all the time, but breaking out of that comfort zone helps much more than it hurts.

I agree with you.
In many respects, it is about time they had a woman Doctor Who character. It probably is a powerful role model for children, who commonly watch the programme. My prior-post, was suppose to be mainly a joke and/or sarcastic explanation of why they decided to make the Doctor a women.

I would guess that really, they have made a very good decision, in having a new women Doctor Who. Maybe it can put extra life into the Dr Who Series.

Reactions: Commodus

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I don't think they did. Even before Capaldi announced this was his last season there was a huge push to make the doctor a woman and a lot of 'hmmhaw' from the showrunners. I too feel this was to cater to the vocal. Might be good might be bad, no one knows, new writer, new show head, new doctor. Be interesting to see what happens. All of this "it's about time" attitude is a bit overblown and ridiculous and sure doesn't feel like....'oh this is what we planned to do all along'. I liked River Song and Michelle Gomez, so I don't have an issue with a gender swap, but the recent history of forcing gender bending roles is a bit cliche at this point and would be blasted if it was the other way around.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't think they did. Even before Capaldi announced this was his last season there was a huge push to make the doctor a woman and a lot of 'hmmhaw' from the showrunners. I too feel this was to cater to the vocal. Might be good might be bad, no one knows, new writer, new show head, new doctor. Be interesting to see what happens. All of this "it's about time" attitude is a bit overblown and ridiculous and sure doesn't feel like....'oh this is what we planned to do all along'. I liked River Song and Michelle Gomez, so I don't have an issue with a gender swap, but the recent history of forcing gender bending roles is a bit cliche at this point and would be blasted if it was the other way around.

Oh, there's no question that they at least had that pressure in the back of their mind, but I can't help but ask myself: is it a bad thing to listen to demand in this case? Doctor Who isn't just any old sci-fi series, it's one of the biggest in history and a reflection of the British zeitgeist. It would mean a lot to say that the show doesn't need a man in the lead role, even this first stint is short. I'd be more concerned if they treated this as a token offering and then said "right, back to white men forever."

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Well, to be fair, they had to come up with some excuse to explain the whole "maximum limit of 12 regenerations for a Time Lord" that's been uttered about for decades now. I guess people were expecting some radical change for the 13th Doctor.

That said, I've stopped watching the show after Tennant left. Eccleston was interesting, but I felt that he left the show too soon. Definitely enjoyed David Tennant. Couldn't get into Matt Smith for some reason, and I didn't care enough to see Peter Capaldi either.

I just hope that Moffat makes the 13th Doctor an interesting character, and not just spend time on the fact that the new Doctor is a woman.