The new Canon 1D...X marks the spot

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Taking some pages from Nikon's playbook, I see. They dropped the megapixel count over the previous generation for better ISO performance.

Getting rid of APS-H was a good move, but this camera is obviously designed for sport/event photography. They bumped up the sensitivity of the AF points quite a bit, but it still suffers from the familiar problem of having all 61-points bunched into the middle of the frame.

AF.png

People shooting still-life, portrait and landscape won't see any reason to upgrade. The existing 1Ds3 already offers better resolution and excellent quality at low ISOs.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Taking some pages from Nikon's playbook, I see. They dropped the megapixel count over the previous generation for better ISO performance.

Getting rid of APS-H was a good move, but this camera is obviously designed for sport/event photography. They bumped up the sensitivity of the AF points quite a bit, but it still suffers from the familiar problem of having all 61-points bunched into the middle of the frame.

AF.png

People shooting still-life, portrait and landscape won't see any reason to upgrade. The existing 1Ds3 already offers better resolution and excellent quality at low ISOs.

I shot for years using that AF grouping. Never had an issue.
You sound like a debbie downer.

Jul 10, 2007
can someone explain the wired gb lan connection it sports?
wouldn't that be extremely cumbersome?

doesn't eye-fi make more sense?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
people are complaining about loss of reach compared to the aps-h model

twistedlogic

Feb 4, 2008

Looks like they are borrowing a few more things from Nikon:

- New in-camera Chromatic Aberration Correction, which can be enabled for stills and video
- In-camera RAW converter
- 100,000 pixel RGB ambient/flash metering sensor

Now wonder what Nikon will borrow from them, :)

can someone explain the wired gb lan connection it sports?
wouldn't that be extremely cumbersome?

doesn't eye-fi make more sense?

The eye-fi is extremely slow, especially when compared to GB ethernet. They should be instantly transferred with the LAN connection.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
A lot of Nikon auto defense mechanisms activating already.
For a 'halo' product, the camera seems to be playing catch-up more than advancing the ball.

It's undoubtedly a superb camera. If any of its features trickle down to the 5D3, then we might see a little more excitement.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
For a 'halo' product, the camera seems to be playing catch-up more than advancing the ball.

It's undoubtedly a superb camera. If any of its features trickle down to the 5D3, then we might see a little more excitement.

It's more of a merging of two complete lines than catchup.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
full size lenses on the sensor pixels is a pretty good advancement, perhaps the thing i am most interested in...

can't wait to see sample pictures

also interested in more info on the sensor design

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
but it still suffers from the familiar problem of having all 61-points bunched into the middle of the frame.

nikon shooters bitched about the D3's array being too central as well. the physics behind why the points can't be spread out more is something nikon hasn't been able to overcome either.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
nikon shooters bitched about the D3's array being too central as well. the physics behind why the points can't be spread out more is something nikon hasn't been able to overcome either.

Shhh...don't tell him that.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
full size lenses on the sensor pixels is a pretty good advancement, perhaps the thing i am most interested in...
Gapless microlenses have been around for a few years; the 1D4 has them, albeit on a smaller sensor.

It's more of a merging of two complete lines than catchup.
They killed APS-H and refocused the 1D line for sport/event shooters. I'm curious to see if they introduce a new line for landscape/studio photographers who don't need 14FPS but do want more resolution.

I just wonder why Canon killed it's pro camera sales deliberately until march. :)
I'm not sure many people were buying the 1Ds3 these days anyway; they definitely killed the 1D4 quicker than expected.

I never said Nikon's implementation is better. In fact, if Nikon comes out with a D4 that merely updates the number of focus points, I'll be equally disappointed.

What I'd like to see is a high-end hybrid phase/contrast detect AF system. Similar to what Nikon implemented in the Nikon 1 series, but scaled up for professional use. 70+ points overlaid across the entire frame. Now THAT would be a reason to upgrade.

RobDickinson

Jan 6, 2011
It looks orsome.Tempted if I had the money!

As mostly a landscaper I would have preferred the rumoured 30-40mp than 18, perhaps with the 5d3.

Wildlife/bird togs are going to hate the lower density AND the lack of f8 focus. No more 600/4 and 2.0tc

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
What I'd like to see is a high-end hybrid phase/contrast detect AF system. Similar to what Nikon implemented in the Nikon 1 series, but scaled up for professional use. 70+ points overlaid across the entire frame. Now THAT would be a reason to upgrade.

what's the focus point pattern on that? i can't seem to find info

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
In for 3.

The clustered AF Points is a big unnecessary pain in the ass. Can't tell you how many times I've locked my ballhead and found that I need to focus on something outside of the grouping of AF points. Canon and Nikon need to make focus points just for the full frame already, not just recycle them from the APS-C line.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
In for 3.

The clustered AF Points is a big unnecessary pain in the ass. Can't tell you how many times I've locked my ballhead and found that I need to focus on something outside of the grouping of AF points. Canon and Nikon need to make focus points just for the full frame already, not just recycle them from the APS-C line.

You need a better ballhead.