The Myth of the "paperless" office - any input from you all?

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
I was planning on reading a fairly recent book entitled "The Myth of the Paperless Office" (ISBN 0262194643).

It deals with talks since the early 1980s speculating the day when business can be conducted totally without the use of memos, letters, etc; i.e., not being reliant about putting things on printed paper.

I think it's interesting to thing of new technologies that enable this, like downloading books onto PDAs, but there are also new ones that discourage the paperless idea, such as those bluetooth printing devices.

Anyways, I just think we will never get to the paperless point. Even with all the versatility that digital media can offer, I think humans like tangible things.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Until they can invent a display medium that can hold it's image almost indefinitely, be flexible enough to be folded, and cheap enough for my poor @ss to afford it, paper is going to reign supreme.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Until laws change and digital signing is acceptable universally there'll be a need for paper trails.

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: dman
Until laws change and digital signing is acceptable universally there'll be a need for paper trails.

this is why I hate the movement of credit card companies, banks, etc. that encourage you to stop receiving paper statements. I hate that - always gotta have a paper trail. just a personal preference I guess.