The Myth of the Liberal Media

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
During the Clinton years, folks ranted about the right wing media...

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
A long time ago I read his book Manufactured Consent. He had some good points, but I'm no more persuaded of the media's conservative bias than I am its allegedly liberal bias. The media is a business and it's out to make money.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A long time ago I read his book Manufactured Consent. He had some good points, but I'm no more persuaded of the media's conservative bias than I am its allegedly liberal bias. The media is a business and it's out to make money.
So I guess the media is biased by money. Damn they won't want Sanders in there. Biden will be fine if not as good as Trump

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
So I guess the media is biased by money. Damn they won't want Sanders in there. Biden will be fine if not as good as Trump

Biased by money does not mean they favor "monied interests." It means that their reporting favors sensationalism. Why do you think they report on white cops shooting unarmed black men, but they almost never report on white people being shot by cops, even though statistically, there are more of such cases? Not because they have a "liberal bias" as conservatives believe, but because anything involving racial conflict and/or allegations of racism is controversial and gets people to tune in. It's for ratings.

The right and far left think the media has a left/right bias. Both are incorrect.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Biased by money does not mean they favor "monied interests." It means that their reporting favors sensationalism. Why do you think they report on white cops shooting unarmed black men, but they almost never report on white people being shot by cops, even though statistically, there are more of such cases? Not because they have a "liberal bias" as conservatives believe, but because anything involving racial conflict and/or allegations of racism is controversial and gets people to tune in. It's for ratings.

The right and far left think the media has a left/right bias. Both are incorrect.
What is the far left? The Michigan chapter of the Shining Path, both member?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
What is the far left? The Michigan chapter of the Shining Path, both member?

I don't know what that second sentence means. As to the first, "far" denotes...farther left than the center-left. The reason I do not use the term "far right" in parallel is because, in my opinion, the entire right has become what used to be the far right. In any event, the term "far left" is not a pejorative.

You didn't reply to the remainder of my remarks. Don't think I didn't notice.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know what that second sentence means. As to the first, "far" denotes...farther left than the center-left. The reason I do not use the term "far right" in parallel is because, in my opinion, the entire right has become what used to be the far right. In any event, the term "far left" is not a pejorative.

You didn't reply to the remainder of my remarks. Don't think I didn't notice.
My dear friend, I hope the reason I didn't respond doesn't imply whatever it is that you seem to think it does. I am perfectly aware of the sensationalism aspect of the Media and have make that case in the past doubtlessly many times. But my point is that the Media can be motivated by more than one thing, and one of them is the protection of the rich people who own it. Making money on sensationalism is a modus operandi, but protection of status is central to the owners. You are not going to see mainstream media owned by huge corporations pushing Sanders for President. There will maybe a few editorials.

The 1% own most of the nation's wealth, a diseased state beyond belief. Reporting on that fact night and day would be sensational, but it's not going to happen. Everybody who partakes of the Media needs to stay asleep because it's the best way to rape people. I have nothing but contempt for the dream people live their lives in. I have to live in that world too and see all the endless and needless misery it brings. But you can attribute no guilt to people who are asleep.

TechYoda

Aug 21, 2019
I can see a point in it. Someone is owning this publishing so he rules what should be posted. I noticed it again reading this news on Forbes :
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidd...ndon-court-battle-nears-its-end/#6681319d784e
I follow the situation on the London court on Vitali Orlov from Norebo for a few months now because I found it look like a detective story in a real life. And what I've seen is that the situation is shown only from one angle. No one said that all participants are millionaires and probably use some ways of laundering their incomes they focus on one main character.
So I guess we just can't expect truly liberal media for now.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
I don't recall Liberals proclaiming they would rather be Russian instead of Republican, attending rallies and wearing red hats.

I also don't recall the Liberal media directing people to still go outside while a pandemic virus is out and about. Or, labeling that pandemic virus;
a. a legitimate problem that China is trying to cover up
b. a hoax when it hits the US - a hoax, because it is making the President look bad

On point b, the thought policing is all on the Right as well. Liberal don't thought police people. Wait - asking you to follow the country's constitution that all men are created equal is thought policing? That's nice - go somewhere else, commie.