The Muslim obsever officially endorses...A republican?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
There is economic cycle, but we are also in massive debt, and we keep spending and enlarging the debt hole. We are digging an abyss to bury ourselves in.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
I'd bet the vast majority of the people in here claiming we're going broke because they're starting to see the economy falter have never been through really tough economic times in this country and have little to no clue that it's just part of the cycle.

The same rule that apply to gravity apply to the economy. -- What goes up must come down.

Wrong. It is because we see the debt and massive future entitlements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS2fI2p9iVs
For once I completely agree with you on an issue. Entitlements are a HUGE problem for the future of this country. I'd like to see them addressed and slashed drastically but Republicans are unlikely to make any changes on that issue and Democrats far less likely than the GOP to do so. Even Ron Paul gives entitlements lip service but ultimately blows it off with a bit of hand jive and a tap dance.

However, entitlements are really not impacting the economy today so that's a bit of a strawman. Debt doesn't have a lot to do with it either since it really hasn't changed all that drastically. If debt were truly an issue, how come people aren't calling for the imminent failure of Japan to happen any day now? After all, its national debt is 158% of GDP? As one of the world's larger economies they should be a concern.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: glenn1
I'm not surprised - as a small "l" libertarian, I think he doesn't have the guts to make a moral stand for anything, or actually do anything to protect the rights he claims to champion.

excellent point!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'd bet the vast majority of the people in here claiming we're going broke because they're starting to see the economy falter have never been through really tough economic times in this country and have little to no clue that it's just part of the cycle.
The same rule that apply to gravity apply to the economy. -- What goes up must come down.

as if you have....

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

as if you have....
I'm about to turn 49 so the worst I've been through is the recession under Carter, but it was pretty ugly. There was another one in the 80s that wasn't as bad. There was a small one in the early 90s and then for a short while after 9/11.

And all along I've seen the same sort of people proclaiming doom and gloom as well. They used to wear sandwich boards while walking up and down the street. Now they post on internet forums.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
I'm 31 and so I can't say I've lived through a depression or serious recession. I can say this, I don't want to. If Ron Paul is right we don't have to. I'm certainly not going to be the one to call him incorrect in his notions as I don't think he has been incorrect yet. The man is more like a prophet than a politician. The good news is, I no longer care so much whether he becomes president or not, I know I have done what I can, I know that many thousands of people understand what he is talking about.

I know that Ron Paul was the beginning, he is not the end. We will be free again, someday.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No Corbett yet? C'mon dude where are ya?! I need my daily reading of "Paulbots" and similar "make fun of Paul supporters" drivel. Maybe he figured out that you can ignore Paul threads if you don't like them. Naw, I woke up two hours ago, I'm not dreaming.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100
The man is more like a prophet than a politician.
:Q You have GOT to be fvcking kidding me! Some of you bots are just plain scary.

You remind me of Tyler's followers in Fight Club...

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Interesting, but hardly surprising. Forget personal views on any number of issues, I think the number one concern for Muslim-Americans when it comes to politics is who is least likely to pander to alarmist morons and incite public hatred of Muslims in a cheap scam to get votes. Ron Paul has some pretty dumbass views, but you can't say he's in favor of police state type government...or in telling people what they want to hear. With many of the other candidates, it's not entirely clear that they wouldn't take Michelle Malkin's book to heart and start some Muslim internment camps if they decided it was "necessary".

Dear God, I can't believe it. I agree! :thumbsup:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not surprised - as a small "l" libertarian, I think he doesn't have the guts to make a moral stand for anything, or actually do anything to protect the rights he claims to champion.

Funny, I see him as the only Republican that does have any guts.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Funny, I see him as the only Republican that does have any guts.

it's easy to have guts when you don't have to worry about getting elected ;)