The Mueller report will not change anything

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I keep seeing people talking about impeaching and removing the president from office if the Mueller report finds that President Trump obstructed justice or colluded with Russia. It is my opinion that the findings of the Mueller report will not affect the Trump presidency. Republicans in congress have near unanimously endorsed the President despite his illegal behavior, and Trump supporters (46% of Americans) have shown no indication of wavering in their support for him despite two years of suspect, unethical behavior that has undermined the office of the presidency. If the Meuller report finds that Trump has colluded with Russia or obstructed justice, the President will simply take to twitter and repeat his calls of a Democratic witch hunt (never mind that Mueller is a Republican party member and served under George W Bush), to which the President's base will be inclined to believe him, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Republicans in congress will be forced to dig in even further in supporting a President who has engaged in illegal activities, and an impeachment vote will only further polarize the national political climate. An impeachment vote will not pass without Republican support, and even if a handful of Republicans do join with Democrats in voting to impeach the president, the vote will forever be cast by conservative commentators and conservative America as an act of war waged by liberals who "could not stand having a Republican president." The end result will only be further polarization of our nation.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I hope your wrong. That's why it's imperative to get some republicans saying the same as they did in the begging.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I am on the fence. I agree a lot of Republicans will be standing by trump. BUT if they have a chance to get him to resign or get him out and put Pence in I can see them doing so as well.

Pence IMO is way worse as he will do just as much bad or worse, but hes a much better sales man. Let alone they can add a more image freindly republican as VP for the next election.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It will be interesting to see. Trump and Fox News have been preparing their audience to reject Mueller's findings regardless of what they are. If that's successful then yes, I doubt it matters how much criminal behavior Mueller and the Democrats uncover. By the 2020 election I expect we will have uncovered a staggering amount of criminal behavior too, so I'm both interested (and scared) to see if there are any limits to how far they will take it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Once a Trump minion, always a Trump minion. Whatever's left of those folks who voted for Trump and are still standing proudly by his side are those that have rightly or wrongly, convinced themselves that they have no other choice.

The racists, the white supremacists, the "traditionalists and nativists" who wish to live in the past, the isolationist/isolated, the Christian fundies and evangelicals, big business, the very wealthy, the folks that think the gubmint is out to get them, the ones that got convinced by FOX and Limbaugh that there's a liberal commie boogeyman hiding under their beds and closets; they'll never vote Dem no matter who runs for election from that side of the fence.

They've dug themselves so deep into their bunkers-o-denial that there's no changing their minds about party loyalty.

I mean, just look at how so many of them think Trump is the best president to have ever held the office.

How's that fer "scare the pants right off of ya's"?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I am on the fence. I agree a lot of Republicans will be standing by trump. BUT if they have a chance to get him to resign or get him out and put Pence in I can see them doing so as well.

Pence IMO is way worse as he will do just as much bad or worse, but hes a much better sales man. Let alone they can add a more image freindly republican as VP for the next election.
Pence could NEVER win an election, he's as exciting as watching paint dry. He has zero charisma. He cannot excite the base as Trump does.
Republicans will stand behind Trump until it's impossible to do so and then claim they never really supported him to begin with and the base will blindly follow their lead as they always do.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
While I think it's possible the report won't include direct evidence of collusion involving Trump himself, I feel confident there will be findings pertaining to obstruction. I think the best thing would be a smoking gun against Trump, but if we are left only with indirect evidence concluding guilt via conspiracy, we'll be in a tough place.

That said, there is almost a certainty based on what is known that criminal proceedings against Don Jr. are indicated. I have no idea how that's going to play out. Could Trump disown him and let him burn?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I hope your wrong. That's why it's imperative to get some republicans saying the same as they did in the begging.
This is why the Democrats holding real over site hearings matter. Real non-Fox news distorted reality will be on display. Impeachment is a political process not a criminal process.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
You're probably right. With the House having no will to impeach seeing as how the senate will continue to sit on it's hands, Pelosi right now is thinking why even bother. I think the best we can hope for is that Trumps unhealthy lifestyle does him in before he finishes both terms of his presidency.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
You're probably right. With the House having no will to impeach seeing as how the senate will continue to sit on it's hands, Pelosi right now is thinking why even bother. I think the best we can hope for is that Trumps unhealthy lifestyle does him in before he finishes both terms of his presidency.
The hope is without impeachment that the Dems will not be accused of over reach like with the Reps and Bill Clinton. The over site hearings across a broad spectrum of Trumps misdeeds will hopefully pummel him like the Reps did with Hilary.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
At this point, I think the Dems are probably more hoping that shining a light on Trump & Co's corruption will lead to Blue Wave 2: Electric Boogaloo than they are to seriously to pursue impeachment.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I think the 46% figure is overblown. It might be more like 35%.

But it doesn't matter. It boils down to this.

By turning a blind eye to Trump's crimes and behavior, by chanting along with Trump as he does anything he can to damage our judiciary, our justice and legal institutions, the non-partisan people sworn to defend the Constitution and pursue the Truth in those institutions, they have thrown Rule of Law to the wind. In their eyes, the Rule of Law should be whatever the Republican administration wants it to be, and the implication then is that there should nevermore be any other administration than one that is Republican.

IF the GOP ignores the simple objective evidence of Trump's criminality and blocks any successful impeachment, the gauntlet has been thrown down. Then we are in a dangerous time, even as it already seems so.

Calls by people like Comey to unseat Trump in the 2020 election don't go far enough. He should be impeached, removed, indicted, arraigned, tried, convicted and punished while in office -- or that sequence should begin before he can run for a second term. Allowing him to run as a legitimate candidate simply covers over the enormity of our problem with him. It offers him hope that he can stave off prosecution as long as he remains in office.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Basically I see the Mueller report as coming a little too late at this point. There is no way trump wins in 2020 and the findings of the report will probably sink those chances entirely even if his party refuses to impeach. Even more so, once the info is out, the next president and DON will prosecute him hopefully and throw his fat ass in prison assuming be doesn't get off because of worsening dementia.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Well, I guess there's no point in having an election. Just award the Presidency to whichever liberal you like at the moment.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I keep seeing people talking about impeaching and removing the president from office if the Mueller report finds that President Trump obstructed justice or colluded with Russia. It is my opinion that the findings of the Mueller report will not affect the Trump presidency. Republicans in congress have near unanimously endorsed the President despite his illegal behavior, and Trump supporters (46% of Americans) have shown no indication of wavering in their support for him despite two years of suspect, unethical behavior that has undermined the office of the presidency. If the Meuller report finds that Trump has colluded with Russia or obstructed justice, the President will simply take to twitter and repeat his calls of a Democratic witch hunt (never mind that Mueller is a Republican party member and served under George W Bush), to which the President's base will be inclined to believe him, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Republicans in congress will be forced to dig in even further in supporting a President who has engaged in illegal activities, and an impeachment vote will only further polarize the national political climate. An impeachment vote will not pass without Republican support, and even if a handful of Republicans do join with Democrats in voting to impeach the president, the vote will forever be cast by conservative commentators and conservative America as an act of war waged by liberals who "could not stand having a Republican president." The end result will only be further polarization of our nation.

Donald Trump, thru emergency action or some other such ambiguous wishywash rule will suspend the constitution and install himself as a dictator. How we respond is the only question.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well, I guess there's no point in having an election. Just award the Presidency to whichever liberal you like at the moment.

What's the point of having criminal statutes and the impeachment power if you never use them even when the president has committed felonies? Should we just let the president commit unlimited crimes with impunity?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
There's clearly enough smoke here to investigate the president. How many people have been indicted and sentenced already that are close to him? Why do they keep lying? And why he is so darn strange, even in the eyes of his own party?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Well, I guess there's no point in having an election. Just award the Presidency to whichever Russian agent you like at the moment.

FTFY, and just see how real that turned out to be.

People who love the constitution and the country, overruled because he trusts Putin more.

Freedom of the press errr Enemies of the People.. because the trusts Putin more.

War of ideas based on facts.. err replaced by alternative facts.

I could go on and on but I did enjoy arguing with you on facts and conjectures, seems like the great american pastime..

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Of course he won't be impeached. 90% of Conservatives back him. Republicans know that. Mitch has likely calculated by now that the political cost to the GoP will be less by backing him in spite of a smoking gun then it would be if they disavowed him. He also knows that most Conservatives accept everything Trump says at face value as well, so Trump calling an investigation run by a Republican as "fake news" and a " witch hunt" will be all the cover they need to pull the wool over conservative idiots.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
What's the point of having criminal statutes and the impeachment power if you never use them even when the president has committed felonies? Should we just let the president commit unlimited crimes with impunity?

Of course, we let dirty cops stay on the job all the time. The only difference between The Donald and the cops is that the cops have actually shot people.

Reactions: Fenixgoon