The movie "Memento" *SPOILERS*

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Anyone see this movie? I just saw it wi.th my girlfriend and the end lost both of us. Can some explain it?

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2001
well, basically, he kills teddy
and after he kills him, he doesnt rite down a note to remind himself that he killed him
so basically, all this stuff (notes, pictures, trying to find "him", killing "him") is his entertainment. so he ends up trying to find "him" over and over

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My opinion - He was lying about the condition, Teddy got to close to the truth, and he killed him for it.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

<< The end is the beginning >>

I know, but the end looses me. So, did he just imagine all those things about the killing of his wife? If he did, then why does he has those scars?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Well here's what happened:

He actually killed his own wife. Sammy Jackis (sp) is actually him. However, that guy Teddy takes advantage of his condition in order to get him to kill the drug dealer. Once he finds out about that - he writes down Teddy's license plate number, so that he kills hm later on.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000

<< He actually killed his own wife. >>

Are you sure? Out of all the times i've watched the moviue I've never picked that up..

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
pretty much...the movie seems to be a movie to show how well the director can tell a amovie backwards, not a movie to solve a mystery of who committed teh crime.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000

<<

<< He actually killed his own wife. >>

Are you sure? Out of all the times i've watched the moviue I've never picked that up..
>>

Yes. Sam Jackis was just a scammer. He later on actually got the desease that Sam Jackis faked. He got it when his wife was raped by those two guys. So all these things that he was telling on the phone (about Sam Jackis) was actually about him.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

<< Yes. Sam Jackis was just a scammer. He later on actually got the desease that Sam Jackis faked. He got it when his wife was raped by those two guys. So all these things that he was telling on the phone (about Sam Jackis) was actually about him. >>

If his wife got raped and was reported killed on the scene, then what is the thing about the diabetic?

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
His wife was a diabetic. She wasn't killed at the scene - Teddy just took out those pages from the police reports, that's why Guy Pierce thought his wife was dead.

peterparker

Mar 12, 2002
Yeah, Pearce's character convinced himself that his wife was killed during the attack. She wasn't, that's when he developed his condition, though. He killed his wife through the insulin shots; the story about Sammy Jenkis was really about him. When Teddy confronted him with the truth, he decided to get even by writing 'Don't believe his lies' on Teddy's photo, so he would find himself led back to Teddy when searching for the 'killer'.

Smacksmackums

Banned
May 21, 2001
You might want to add "SPOILERS" to the title of this thread. Otherwise there will be even more people that have the movie ruined for them.

jaybittle

Jan 23, 2001
Looks like I am going to have to watch this again, because I didn't pick any of it up the first time.. I believed there really was a character named Sammy Jenkis.. :)

So when exactly does he develop this "short term memory loss" disease? When he thinks he loses it (rape scene), or when he thinks Sammy loses it (insulin).

I guess this explains why, for a split second, we see Lenny sitting in the mental home.. the rest of the scene before and after it was Sammy... interesting pick up..

cheers,
--jb

peterparker

Mar 12, 2002

<<
So when exactly does he develop this "short term memory loss" disease?
>>

Maybe it's a draw your own conclusions thing, I haven't seen it in a bit, but I believe it was during the attack in which his wife was raped.

dafatha00

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
No, there's no definite conclusion to the movie. For all the people who think they know what happened, the writer of the movie script himself said that the story is left up to the imagination of the viewer.

ZeroBurn

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2000
i can't believe i get through the 6 pg article to find that he's concluded there's no sound answer. -__-