The miracles of the next fifty years (as published in 1950) *****MUST READ*****

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
well, some idiots do shop by "picture-phone"... lol

hehehe... how untrue:

<< By 2000, supersonic planes cover a thousand miles an hour, but the consumption of fuel is such that high fares have to be charged. In one of these supersonic planes the Atlantic is crossed in three hours. Nobody has yet circumnavigated the moon in a rocket space ship, but the idea is not laughed down. >>

Wedesdo

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
also,

<< Instead of driving from Tottenville to California in their car?teardrop in shape and driven from the rear by a high-compression engine that burns cheap denatured alcohol?the Dobsons use the family helicopter, which is kept on the roof. >>

ahahahahahhhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahah

Elledan

Banned
Jul 24, 2000
After reading this, who dares to make a prediction of how the world will look in 2050? :D

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
how come the one thing they say won't happen, going to the moon, did? everything else, nope!

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They did get the fax machine part right

<< takes no more than a minute to transmit and receive in facsimile a five-page letter on paper of the usual business size. Cost? Five cents >>

Plus, I doubt abyone back then could have imagined the internet and what a large part of our lives it would be. I'd love to write more on this, but I really have to hose down my bedroom. :)

Jothaxe

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
The best lines are:

<< . Discarded paper table &quot;linen&quot; and rayon underwear are bought by chemical factories to be converted into candy. >>

umm!!!... rayon underwear :p

<< Before [a hurricane] has a chance to gather much strength and speed, oil is spread over the sea and ignited... >>

I think some people might have a problem with this...

Thanks for the link!

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Maetryx here, :cool:

I think they got the essence of the changes right. We *do* shop from home, send fascimiles, video conference, travel more, heat/thaw food quickly, eat prepared food more often, use better materials for construction, predict the weather better, use disposable items, have better and more antibiotics, etc.

I think he did a damn fine job. He didn't get carried away. He did not assume there would be a cure for cancer. He did not assume that we would be using Star Trek technology. He did not assume we would live off-planet.

My hat's off to the author. I wish I was that good at predicting the future.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000

<< Nobody in 2000 sees any sense in building a house that will last a century. >>

I guess they DON'T make them like they used to Ma! ;)

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I think the major problem with their assumptions are that they assumed that culture would stay exactly the same: same speed of technological invention and same educational emphasis on technology over being fscking morons, and same core family - housewife and working man. If they were right, our society might've gotten like that. Though I think the problem is that the more advanced we get, the easier life is, and the easier life gets, the less people feel the need to become smart to succeed, so our advancement gets slower.

Interesting read.