The Mighty Thor

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I finally caught Iron Man 2 and saw the easter egg at the end.

So I looked up the info on the new Thor movie coming next May.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/

This looks like a completely different kind of Marvel film.
The actors, well, can act, all of them. And there are a lot of them.
Not to mention its directed by Kenneth Branagh (yes, the actor) who mostly has directed a few Shakespearean movies.

Here's just a few of the actors:
Anthony Hopkins
Natalie Portman
Stellan Skarsgård
Colm Feore
Also, Chris Hemsworth as Thor (the guy who played James Kirks father in the new Star Trek)
Idris Elba
Tom Hiddleston (as Loki)

This is looking more like a Shakespearean play or Wagner Opera.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It will be interesting to see how it works out. Marvel has been doing pretty well with their last string of movies.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
So is it going to be in its own universe? Or do the Norse gods co-exist with Tony Stark?

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
So is it going to be in its own universe? Or do the Norse gods co-exist with Tony Stark?

This is what Im thinking...would kind of ruin the atmosphere and world from a movie like Iron Man to have gods coming from the sky...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I finally caught Iron Man 2 and saw the easter egg at the end.

So I looked up the info on the new Thor movie coming next May.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/

This looks like a completely different kind of Marvel film.
The actors, well, can act, all of them. And there are a lot of them.
Not to mention its directed by Kenneth Branagh (yes, the actor) who mostly has directed a few Shakespearean movies.

Here's just a few of the actors:
Anthony Hopkins
Natalie Portman
Stellan Skarsgård
Colm Feore
Also, Chris Hemsworth as Thor (the guy who played James Kirks father in the new Star Trek)
Idris Elba
Tom Hiddleston (as Loki)

This is looking more like a Shakespearean play or Wagner Opera.

Ohhhhhh SNAP! Stringer Bell is in da HOUSE!!

someone call Omar!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

yeah...I see the Asgardian Thor angle being a tough meld for the type of realism established for the current Marvel film world.

mr_cluck

May 24, 2010
Iron Man and the Norton Hulk movies coexist. Summer 2011 is the Thor movie, followed by Captain American and then The Avengers (bringing them all together) in summer of 2012.

I have the same reservations about trying to wedge Thor into the Marvel movie universe. As ludicrous as it sounds, a guy building a robotic suit or turning into a monster because of a science experiment gone wrong is more believable to me than a group of Norse gods coming to Earth. Based on the previous Marvel Studios movies I think they will pull it off, though.

The latest rumor about the Avengers movie is that it will be a trilogy covering the Kree-Skrull war which includes aliens of several varieties including shape-shifters. I'm afraid such an undertaking would get too comic-booky and reduce the mainstream appeal that Marvel's other movies have had.

Russwinters

Jul 31, 2009
They could pull the "Stargate" card.

Where the "Gods" for the ancient humans where actually aliens assumed to be Gods because of their extreme technology, etc.

Would work Imo.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The latest rumor about the Avengers movie is that it will be a trilogy covering the Kree-Skrull war which includes aliens of several varieties including shape-shifters. I'm afraid such an undertaking would get too comic-booky and reduce the mainstream appeal that Marvel's other movies have had.

Exactly. I think that Marvel has managed to find in-roads into the movie genre by successfully avoiding the typical comic book tropes. Once they start focusing on the type of space stories typical of that universe, and try to merge these established movie universes into the comic realm, they will fail miserably.

I mean, anyone ever see the "original" Captain American, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Punisher movies of the mid 90s? D:

yeah, I didn't think so.

:D

gimmewhitecastles

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2005
Anyone remember the Incredible Hulk and Thor teamup made for TV movie? I thought it was pretty awesome when I was a kid. :p

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Captain America. America! What kind of self respecting patriots are you if you don't even know the name of the most popular war time Marvel superhero! :p

mr_cluck

May 24, 2010
Captain America. America! What kind of self respecting patriots are you if you don't even know the name of the most popular war time Marvel superhero! :p

An innocent typo, I assure you. But upon reflection, I prefer it so from now on I will be referring to Steve Rogers as Captain American.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Hemsworth-Thor-Mockup.jpg

May 2011. :awe:

Spoiler:
The film follows the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth), a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful young scientist, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It’s while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Last edited:

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
A lot of different mythologies co-exist in the Marvel universe. Would be lame if the movies portrayed it any other way.

Thor_3_DCP_0015.jpg

Thor_3_DCP_0016.jpg

Last edited:

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
This is what Im thinking...would kind of ruin the atmosphere and world from a movie like Iron Man to have gods coming from the sky...

Yeah, I'm able to maintain the suspension of disbelief for the most part with a guy in a armored suit and a radioactive monster. Some wrestler saying thee and thou with a bad accent and it's gone.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
hopefully the new Xmen (Professor X/Magneto) movie will far, far, far, far, outdo the so-called wolverine movie. that was horrible.

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005

Where have y'all been? The Marvel universe is one big universe. That's how the comics are. X-men, The Avengers, Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, Punisher, Silver Surfer/Galactus/Thanos/The Watcher/Thor/and other cosmic beings, etc. are all in one encompassing universe. That's what makes the Marvel universe so cool, all of these characters can run into each other.

A lot of different mythologies co-exist in the Marvel universe. Would be lame if the movies portrayed it any other way.
<pics snipped>
Exactly and agreed.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The 90's Cap America movie was awesome!

well, the goal is to reach a wide audience, with non-comic book sensibilites. It's not impossible to stay true to the story while maintaining a world that is believable and matches the expectations of a movie audience.

clashing those types of universes would be horrible. As much as comic book fans want to believe this, that kind of world is anything but cohesive. Such instability would wreck a movie. Spider man 3 is what happens when you try to adapt the very typical comic book sequence of issues to a film: UTTER DISASTER.

and that picture of Thor in his costume on the big screen?
D:D:

It might pander to the die-hard fans quite well, but may be a disaster at the box office.