"The Meter Is Running" - The Daily Show Exposé On Fox News

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Originally posted by: ayabe
I hate CNN too, just to be fair.

Give me PBS any day.

Works for me.

PBS is the only U.S. news source I take seriously. All others have to be taken with a grain of salt. PBS aside, CNN is probably the next best.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Dari
... PBS doesn't have a news program that comes on immediately when something major happens.

God forbid they get some facts before talking about something.

;)

nice :thumbsup:

I recall sitting at work the day of the Minnesota bridge collapse. CNN essentially would take whatever "information" they had and run with it as if it were fact. I swear I heard about 20 different stories in about an hour - each describing "exactly what happened".

The problem is that these news networks are so anxious to be the first to report on major events that fact checking goes to the wayside. A classic example is when Howard Stern would replay recordings of his fans pranking the networks during live coverages of catastrophes. They would call in and claim to be there and networks (like CNN) would rush to put them on the air and later have mud on their face when the callers began praising Howard during their airtime. Those were fun times. :)

I haven't heard Howard's show since he moved to satellite so I'm not sure if this still happens frequently.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Icepick
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Dari
... PBS doesn't have a news program that comes on immediately when something major happens.

God forbid they get some facts before talking about something.

;)

nice :thumbsup:

I recall sitting at work the day of the Minnesota bridge collapse. CNN essentially would take whatever "information" they had and run with it as if it were fact. I swear I heard about 20 different stories in about an hour - each describing "exactly what happened".

The problem is that these news networks are so anxious to be the first to report on major events that fact checking goes to the wayside. A classic example is when Howard Stern would replay recordings of his fans pranking the networks during live coverages of catastrophes. They would call in and claim to be there and networks (like CNN) would rush to put them on the air and later have mud on their face when the callers began praising Howard during their airtime. Those were fun times. :)

I haven't heard Howard's show since he moved to satellite so I'm not sure if this still happens frequently.

IIRC, "Bababooey" called into CNN around the time of the bridge collapse.