"The Meter Is Running" - The Daily Show Exposé On Fox News

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Text

We all know The Daily Show has a knack for sprinkling the truth into their comedic sketches, but this piece speaks a little more truthfully than others.

The question is, if McCain doesn't win in November, will Fox revert to 4 years of non-stop President bashing, and furthermore, will their ratings revert to pre-2001 levels because of it?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I saw that earlier today.

The best part was right at the beginning when whatshisface was commenting on Bush's unusual speaking "style" or whatever, then said he would be remembered for giving some all time great speeches.

Yikes, whatever you say waterboy.

Don't really know what's going to happen with FNC. The worst of all outcomes for them would be Obama winning the presidency because I feel they will have to reign in the attack dogs somewhat.

If it's McCain well they can just keep doing what they do as official waterboys for the admin.

..and if Hillary wins, well we all know how that's going to turn out.

Fox's angry white man demographic hasn't gone away, it just doesn't speak as loudly as it did a couple years ago.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: ayabe

The best part was right at the beginning when whatshisface was commenting on Bush's unusual speaking "style" or whatever, then said he would be remembered for giving some all time great speeches.

Don't really know what's going to happen with FNC. The worst of all outcomes for them would be Obama winning the presidency because I feel they will have to reign in the attack dogs somewhat.

If it's McCain well they can just keep doing what they do as official waterboys for the admin.

Fox's angry white man demographic hasn't gone away, it just doesn't speak as loudly as it did a couple years ago.

I don't think anybody takes them too seriously anymore. People just watch it for either entertainment or simply to nod their head, either up and down or sideways.

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
Around a year ago Barak Obama was on Larry King live for part of a segment and the subject of Jon Stewart came up. Obama said something nice about Stewart and King said "You like Jon Stewart dont ya?". Obama replied, "Yes, that's some of the best news reporting on cable television". Larry King looked at him and obviously didn't get it. I did.

John

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: craftech
Around a year ago Barak Obama was on Larry King live for part of a segment and the subject of Jon Stewart came up. Obama said something nice about Stewart and King said "You like Jon Stewart dont ya?". Obama replied, "Yes, that's some of the best news reporting on cable television". Larry King looked at him and obviously didn't get it. I did.

John

:laugh: what a great burn :laugh:

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari

I don't think anybody takes them too seriously anymore. People just watch it for either entertainment or simply to nod their head, either up and down or sideways.

Sort of like CNN?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee

Sort of like CNN?

Nope. CNN is taken seriously, in America and around the world. When something major is happening, that's the first channel I turn to.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

Sort of like CNN?

Nope. CNN is taken seriously, in America and around the world. When something major is happening, that's the first channel I turn to.

I guess that's why Nancy Grace is a big draw, eh?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Sort of like CNN?

I don't know who Nancy Grace is and PBS doesn't have a news program that comes on immediately when something major happens.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I don't know who Nancy Grace is and PBS doesn't have a news program that comes on immediately when something major happens.

Something major, like Britney Spears showing her tits?

I dunno, I think CNN is just as bad as FNC when it comes to promoting trivial news over real issues. It's news-o-tainment at it's finest.

Trying to sit through "The Situation Room" is a painful, painful experience.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

I dunno, I think CNN is just as bad as FNC when it comes to promoting trivial news over real issues. It's news-o-tainment at it's finest.

TBH, I've never seen crap like that when I watch CNN. Then again, I have a DVR.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
CNN and Fox News are both terrible. It's just that Fox News has lowered the bar so low, CNN has to follow them to the bottom of the barrel in order to get ratings.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

I don't think anybody takes [Fox News] too seriously anymore. People just watch it for either entertainment or simply to nod their head, either up and down or sideways.

Sort of like CNN?

You don't know who she is, yet you know all about Fox News?
I'll save you from having to look her up - she only has one of the fastest-growing "news" shows on TV.

Why not DVR PBS news shows, anyway?

CNN is punishing - especially during the day. At my work, we have projectors and AV systems running all day long in our lab, and, unfortunately, they're often on CNN. On a typical day, CNN only has about 10 minutes of what they call news, but they play it non-freaking-stop.

I take that back - they have some "Head On" commercials in there, too.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
... PBS doesn't have a news program that comes on immediately when something major happens.

God forbid they get some facts before talking about something.

;)

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
... PBS doesn't have a news program that comes on immediately when something major happens.

God forbid they get some facts before talking about something.

;)

nice :thumbsup:

I recall sitting at work the day of the Minnesota bridge collapse. CNN essentially would take whatever "information" they had and run with it as if it were fact. I swear I heard about 20 different stories in about an hour - each describing "exactly what happened".

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Says much about nothing. So are they complaining because network reporters will not ask democrats real tough questions and demand answers?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: piasabird
Says much about nothing. So are they complaining because network reporters will not ask democrats real tough questions and demand answers?

No. If that's what you think their point was I suggest you watch the segment again.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

He called them not only "eloquent" but "visionary" as well. What planet is this guy living on? Planet Fox perhaps.

silent tone

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: craftech

John

:laugh: what a great burn :laugh:

Don't leave out Chris Matthews. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...t-the-com_n_94755.html

TBH, I've never seen crap like that when I watch CNN. Then again, I have a DVR.
Did the hard disk die in your DVR for a month when Anna Nicole Smith died? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgiwkcZxj7c

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006

Yep. I can't handle television news period - at least at cnn.com I don't have to read or listen to all the fluff. If you find me a news channel that will never mention celebrity travesty and will spare me the 24/7 coverage of every flood/tornado/hurricane in the country then I'll change my tune.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Sort of like CNN?
Sort of.

If you take the CNN staff, and hot-box them overnight in a room with the Detroit Pistons, you would get the equivalent of what Fox News is today.