The Media is an Accomplice in Public Shootings

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 10, 2000
It was obvious to me from the tone and language of the posts. You even admit that you saw a similar problem with some of the postings. You're the biggest troll in this thread and you've managed to derail it at the same time. Go screw yourself DVC along with your self righteous maunderings.

Stay classy, MV, and keep on trollin'.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Reading through the Real Clear Politics aggregator I saw this article with this quote.

Wait, we can’t have that conversation. In fact, we’re not supposed to have what people might commonly describe as a “conversation” at all. We’re supposed to shut-up and listen as liberals, barely masking their unseemly delight at the opportunity, try to pin the murder rampage of one degenerate creep on millions of law-abiding Americans who did nothing wrong. The conversation is then supposed to end with us waiving our fundamental right to self-defense.

Yes, my wording was coarser, but it carried the same connotation. That liberals are reveling in this opportunity to advance their political agenda with only a wink and a nod in the direction of the cost.

http://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...ts-have-that-conversation-about-guns-n1468596

Feb 10, 2000
Reading through the Real Clear Politics aggregator I saw this article with this quote.

Yes, my wording was coarser, but it carried the same connotation. That liberals are reveling in this opportunity to advance their political agenda with only a wink and a nod in the direction of the cost.

http://townhall.com/columnists/kurt...ts-have-that-conversation-about-guns-n1468596

So because a far-right commentator (in the context of an opinion piece doing precisely the same thing he accuses liberals of - politicizing a tragedy to push a political agenda regarding guns) shares your sentiment (if not your distasteful sexual references), that means you're 100% right. Got it.

You're insane if you think anyone is happy about this tragedy, much less "orgasmic," or "so pleased and happy that . . . they're almost stroking themselves in satisfaction." Your language was disgusting and entirely unwarranted.

You lower the tone and the caliber of every discussion you join. Be a better member here and you'll be treated with respect. Act like a filthy troll and expect to be called on it.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Providing sensational coverage of suicide.

Reporting "how-to" descriptions of suicide.

Glorifying suicide or persons who commit suicide.

News coverage is less likely to contribute to suicide contagion when ...[/url]

It's not just suicide, it's homicide. Homicide is much more sensational than suicide. You're right about the negative aspects of the media's feeding frenzy on these mass shootings, etc. It bothers me too. What can you do about it? Well, one thing comes to mind being a quote I remember from Henry David Thoreau:

"I would not run around the corner to see the world blow up" - Henry David Thoreau

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
*shrug*

I'm just saying I think it could help if the major news networks met together, and issued a statement that from now on mass shootings would only be given the most cursory coverage on their websites. No TV coverage, no great detail given... remove the fame-seeking motive.

Is this realistic? No, not really.

So instead I suggest we just, as individuals, accept that shit happens.
It is my hope that what happened last week will result in a great tightening of gun control in the USA. That would be a positive outcome of the extensive coverage. Without coverage, they are effectively sweeping it under the carpet, no?