The maxxed out iPhone 13 Pro Max is $1600.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 20, 2009
I learned many years ago that the common scribe is addicted to their cell phone and service. They don't really care about the cost, just like most addicts don't care about the cost of their narcotics. This thread is like being sticker shocked at the cost of a dose of narcotic when you are not the addict.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
And that's why iPhones hold their value but Android ones tank pretty quickly. Its honestly something I don't understand why more people don't hammer Android for. Yes it gets mentioned some places, as even Google's own devices are only supported for 3 years. Its even worse for the non-Google ones as well.

The other thing I don't get. Look at the outrage over Windows 11 on here (a fucking tech forum). Yet I don't hear a peep from those same assholes with regards to yearly software version update of Android (in fact I see quite a few that seem to like that and even view it as an excuse to buy whatever the newest phone is basically every year), whilst they support the software and hardware even less. Yet I also tend to see those same assholes bitching incessantly about Apple? Where's the fucking consistency? I've pointed this out before too, when it came to Windows 10 (really every version of Windows since XP - not sure why there's some weird love for XP and like frigging 98, I'm not sure if its because of how old the people on here are and those were the OSes in the prime of them gaming or something - XP was possibly the biggest security risk of a major OS ever, and yet while those assholes cry about security/privacy issues of Win10 they pine for XP, WTF?)

The lack of updates for Android phones was problematic. Google provided no requirements for manufacturers using Android to provide any real level of support. Finally though, things are looking up. Samsung is starting to step up their game with I think at least 4 years of updates on their main phones, and new Google Pixels will get 5 years of security updates and 4 years of major OS updates. It's long overdue and definitely was a weak point of Android.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The lack of updates for Android phones was problematic. Google provided no requirements for manufacturers using Android to provide any real level of support. Finally though, things are looking up. Samsung is starting to step up their game with I think at least 4 years of updates on their main phones, and new Google Pixels will get 5 years of security updates and 4 years of major OS updates. It's long overdue and definitely was a weak point of Android.
You're right it's long overdue, but this info might be a little misleading. The Pixel 6 isn't even out yet; and the new Pixel 5a gets just 3 years of updates. The majority of affordable Android devices still suffer from a meager updates policy and that probably won't quickly change.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I learned many years ago that the common scribe is addicted to their cell phone and service. They don't really care about the cost, just like most addicts don't care about the cost of their narcotics. This thread is like being sticker shocked at the cost of a dose of narcotic when you are not the addict.
I'm not addicted to my phone.

But I am addicted to Final Fantasy IV, not gonna lie.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
You're right it's long overdue, but this info might be a little misleading. The Pixel 6 isn't even out yet; and the new Pixel 5a gets just 3 years of updates. The majority of affordable Android devices still suffer from a meager updates policy and that probably won't quickly change.

That's been my biggest gripe. There's a form of classism in the Android world where the duration and quality of OS updates depends on how much you spent. First-world customer who bought a Galaxy S? Roll out the red carpet, four years of major updates. Middle-class Indian for whom a $200 phone is a significant expense? Be thankful if we give you two years, and we might only deliver security updates once in a blue Moon.

I know part of it is that low-end phones are less likely to handle that many updates gracefully, but then that begs the question of why Google builds regular Android without seriously considering what performance will be like for lower-end phones three or more years later.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I mean what's wrong with hybrid toys/tools? What exactly should phone makers do to make them more tools? They give them great screens and processing power and memory, the tools are in the apps that are developed for the phones that can now run better and faster due to better specs and faster data. The apps are the tools.
I've been waiting for years for a phone manufacturer to start including more capabilities to interact with the local environment. Temp, humidity sensors, as well as an IR camera would be a stupendous start. I'd rather have those than an 8th core.

Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hate the fact that updates are even based on the manufacturer. It should not work that way at all. Imagine if you can't run Windows Update or install a new OS on your Dell computer because Dell does not support that model PC anymore. That's basically what they're doing with phones.

• Wow
Reactions: Stiff Clamp

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I hate the fact that updates are even based on the manufacturer. It should not work that way at all. Imagine if you can't run Windows Update or install a new OS on your Dell computer because Dell does not support that model PC anymore. That's basically what they're doing with phones.
It is, it's getting better with newer versions of android, they're putting more of the updates into the core OS that's outside of what the vendor can control. Never should have been in their hands though.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
That's been my biggest gripe. There's a form of classism in the Android world where the duration and quality of OS updates depends on how much you spent. First-world customer who bought a Galaxy S? Roll out the red carpet, four years of major updates. Middle-class Indian for whom a $200 phone is a significant expense? Be thankful if we give you two years, and we might only deliver security updates once in a blue Moon.

I know part of it is that low-end phones are less likely to handle that many updates gracefully, but then that begs the question of why Google builds regular Android without seriously considering what performance will be like for lower-end phones three or more years later.
That's simple economics though; and there is a simple solution that probably doesn't work in the real world. I've said before I'd be happy to pay a nominal fee for security updates. Maybe $20 per year after bundled support ends? If a device manufacturer is selling a $200 device with razor thin margins, should we really expect them to provide great updates?

I disagree that Google isn't handling the wide spectrum of devices. They have the Android One program specifically for low-end devices. Having said that, RAM is the primary limiting factor. You can optimize the hell out of the OS stack, but there's not much you can do when a single browser tab gobbles up hundreds of MB of main memory. Also, the most important thing are timely, critical security updates. I couldn't care less that I can't put Android 11 onto an older device.

If Pixel 6 actually has 5 years of updates, and Samsung and a few flagships give you 4 years, we're getting pretty close. Personally I like to use my electronics until they die, and 5 years would end most criticism of Android updates (unfortunately it would be status quo for low-end to mid-range devices). The thing is smartphones are very mature products with minor annual upgrades, so we're getting to the point where flagship hardware is very future-proof.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I just don't see the value in phones that expensive nowadays, I went from an iphone 11 pro max to a pixel 4a 5g I got for $350 and don't miss anything I can think of. Even the camera I like more on the pixel, my gf hated pictures of her from my iphone, made her skin look orange.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Thinking I will be asking for Apple gift cards for Christmas, I already have $200 stashed, not sure if I want a new phone or a new computer. The MacBook Pro is from mid 2014 so it’s my oldest device & probably due to be replaced soon.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Thinking I will be asking for Apple gift cards for Christmas, I already have $200 stashed, not sure if I want a new phone or a new computer. The MacBook Pro is from mid 2014 so it’s my oldest device & probably due to be replaced soon.
I recommend purchasing higher priced goods with a credit card; most good credit cards will add 1 year of warranty coverage to many covered items. Some cards even add 2 years.

If applicable, Costco Visa offers a robust "Two Plus Two" warranty on certain items:

Granted, I've never needed to get warranty service on an Apple product, but it's free protection. I'd recommend charging a MacBook Pro or iPhone to a suitable credit card instead of applying a bunch of Apple Store gift cards. If you apply the $200 you already have, that's fine. The extended warranty will cover the rest of the transaction, the amount charged to the credit card. As always, read the fine print of your eligible credit card for details.