The Man Who Never Missed - the best book none of you have ever read ;)

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
. . . I'm guessing, since I posted a thread on it about 2 years ago and never got a response. :p

It's by Steve Perry (no, not the dude from Journey), and his main claim to fame is writing "Shadows of the Empire."

Basically, it's about a man . . . who never missed. It's a kick-ass sci-fi book. It's not one of those Frederick Pohl type books where you need a PHd to understand what the hell the writer is saying, more like David Drake, Heinlein, Joe Haldeman, S.M. Stirling, etc., et al.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< In what way is this book good? >>

Hmm.

I don't really know how to explain it . . . it's just a very well crafted story with very good characterization. The action is incredibly detailed. Basically, it's "Star Wars" without the crappy dialogue, and replacing the Force with advanced martial arts routines. ;)

Edit - Every customer review at Amazon is 5 stars, so I guess I'm not alone in my love for this book and series.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It sounds like an excellent read, Thanx. I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm finished with it.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Hmm, sounds interesting. I might pick it up. Of course, nothing can ever compete with Song of Ice and Fire.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

<< Hmm, sounds interesting. I might pick it up. Of course, nothing can ever compete with Song of Ice and Fire. >>

Then you haven't read the Earthclan novels by David Brin. It's at the top of my short list of perfectly balanced sci-fi. It combines action/adventure/hard science/great characters/mystery....you get the idea. I Highly recommend this series to anyone who loves sci-fi!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Of course, nothing can ever compete with Song of Ice and Fire. >>

I should have known.
rolleye.gif

I'm going to import my rant from another message board about book snobs.

<< Hello, all. Been lurking for a while and finally decided to drop the gauntlet, so to speak.

[beginrant]
Has anyone noticed the odd amount of book snobbery going on these days?

What I mean is, the people who will take up the cause of one book or series of books and defend them against all other comers, using whatever methods they have at their disposal to dis competing works.

I mean, you have the George R.R. Martin fans talking smack about WoT, you have the WoT fans griping about Terry Goodkind, then you have the occasional weirdo who thinks Tad Williams is all that ( ;) ), then there's the Tolkien apologist, the kind of guy who thinks that if it came first, it must be better (then why aren't we driving Model T's, eh?).

To this I ask - what's wrong with liking them all?!? I love Jordan. I adore George R.R. Martin. I foam at the mouth for the latest "Sword of Truth" book. I read all three books of "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" in a week. I read Tolkien in grade school, and he turned me onto the entire genre. Why is it that people have to adopt a particular thing for their own, and all who don't follow in their footsteps aren't cool or with it?

The worst offenders of this, to me, seem to be those who're fans of A Song of Ice and Fire. A great series, with a lot of redeeming values, but for all the ferocity that they defend it's virtue, you'd think it was their girlfriend.

What gives?

[/endrant]
>>